• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspychata

Serenity waves, beachy vibes
V.I.P Member
People have talked about a variety of issues here, are your issues sensory, social stuff, mentally repressive thinking, or a hodgepodge of it all? Do you find being hangry or tired or younger r older makes it worse? l rate my stress level on just mentally repressive thought patterns.

Some of mine improved as I got older and unmasked a bit. [I do look 'more autistic' now so a few folks would not agree that I am healthier.

I have the social issues and sensory issues. I am also face-blind, clumsy, do autistic stims, and do not do well when hungry or tired.

You obviously have a good read on yourself. l noticed l repeated a lot of things twice, but l feel l was overwhelmed from stress sometimes. It seems your stress level doesn't bring on seperate issues?

Mine definitely gets worse with stress. When I'm not stressed I can seem very normal and even pretty good at this whole 'life' thing, but certain kinds of stress make everything much worse. I can't think or communicate well, I act strange, I can't make basic decisions, and sensory things that I normally barely notice become intolerable. It always surprises people who are used to seeing me as calm and competent when I suddenly can't handle basic things. Of course, then that makes them think that I can't handle any kind of stress at all, which also isn't true. It just depends on the situation and how competent I'm feeling at the time.

I also sometimes act more autistic now than I used to. I don't mask quite as much anymore and I'm also more aware of what's going on with me. Before, I might be grumpy and mad at everyone and not know why. Now, I can recognize that it's because I've been socializing half the day and listening to lectures while trying to tune out chattering classmates the other half and the sun is too bright and my hair is too staticky. If I tell people what's bothering me they might think it's weird that I'm complaining about these things now when I didn't before. The truth is that those things always bothered me, I just didn't know how to recognize what was bothering me or realize that I could do anything about it.

It probably doesn't help that I keep throwing myself into difficult situations. Right now I'm in grad school for a very people-focused career, so I'm constantly stressed. On the other hand, I love the career I'm working towards, so it's worth it as long as I don't let myself burn out.

My main issues are social issues and sensory sensitivity, rigid thinking and repetitive behaviour/stimming. They definitely get worse when I'm stressed, tired or hungry.

My main issues are social and sensory, and I also stim quite a bit. Like China said things have got a bit easier as I have got older and 'unmasked' a bit, I am more obviously autistic but I am much less stressed when I am not trying to repress behaviours such as stimming which calm me down but make me seem weird. Things definitely get worse when I am tired or stressed, not sure about hungry, although I certainly do get hangry. If I become too stressed I stammer or become selectively mute. I'm not sure what you mean by 'repressive thinking'.

Much worse when stressed.

When younger I was more active,
I’m guessing that was my way of releasing some of the build up of energy.

I’m less active now I’m older, equipment is wearing out, not as dependable.
Similar build up of ‘energy’ ,
no usual method of release.

It finds another way.

My main issues are social and sensory, and I also stim quite a bit. Like China said things have got a bit easier as I have got older and 'unmasked' a bit, I am more obviously autistic but I am much less stressed when I am not trying to repress behaviours such as stimming which calm me down but make me seem weird. Things definitely get worse when I am tired or stressed, not sure about hungry, although I certainly do get hangry. If I become too stressed I stammer or become selectively mute. I'm not sure what you mean by 'repressive thinking'.

Just any unhealthy thinking patterns, obessive, repressive, ruminations, unhealthy emotions

I'm a little confused because it's almost like the chicken or the egg question - which comes first? Isn't it all these things that bring on stress, and then the stress makes it worse? I mean, we get stressed because of things we find difficult or difficult to handle, right?

I'm a little confused because it's almost like the chicken or the egg question - which comes first? Isn't it all these things that bring on stress, and then the stress makes it worse? I mean, we get stressed because of things we find difficult or difficult to

Stress actually brings out some issues in me, but l have less sensory issues, more problems in dealing with emotions

What causes the stress?

For me, stress is when l don't say something, then go home and be upset that l didn't speak up about my emotions, l am just starting to do that now, with pushy men who are managers or employees of places l work.

Mine are:

Sensory issues, particularly when it comes to pain. The fact that I have nerve/tendon/whatever issues that cause frequent pain doesnt help.

I'm really spacey. REALLY spacey.

Forgetfulness.

Social issues. Lots of them. I barely do anything at all that could be called "socializing". Though animals are the exception to this.

Gender issues. ...bah.

Extreme obsession. When I get interested or focused on something... hoboy, things can get weird.

Anger. I have a very short fuse.

Stress/fear. Oh yes, definitely got that one.

So, yeah, plenty of issues. At least for the pain thing I have physical therapy to keep it under control, but there's no fixing the others.

New Threads

Top Bottom