• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Old-fashioned Advertisements

We had them here when I was a kid, the name came from a popular cartoon about a homeless man who was always on the bite. "I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a burger today." was one of the popular lines in the cartoon.

View attachment 100476

Apparently they are still around in a few places, although the recipes for their stuff will likely have changed since their heyday, so if you were to find one and dine there it might not be as good as you remember.
I've seen a few people claim that they were better than McDonalds and Burger King. For me, I'm not a fan of either restaurant's food - only having them if necessary - but I've never had a Wimpys so I can't judge.

I found a Wimpy comic:

wimpysleepsover.jpg

One for a mostly defunct Fast Food restaurant here in the UK (although it still exists in South Africa, based on what I've heard):

Wimpy
I remember Wimpy! They were everywhere! Most ended up turning into Burger King at the end of the 80s early 90s! The point of sale stuff, glowing signs etc literally had the plastics removed and new Burger King ones inserted.

I was only lucky enough to go to Wimpy a couple of times really. It was kinda spooky to go to Burger King when the previous year it had been a Wimpy. Everything was exactly the same, even the sign in the window, just with new plastics in. It was like being in a parallel dimension.

I don't think there will be any of it left now, but it was obvious that the burger king logo had been modified a little to drop right into the former Wimpy signage.

One thing about the commercial in the YouTube video, I seem to remember it being a little earlier than 1988. Perhaps there was another version with the same Drifters song. 1988 seems to be wrong because I remember I liked the music and I saw it on the TV in a house that we'd moved out of in 1987. Maybe someone else who is from the UK can help unconfuse me? :smilecat:

Incidentally, did anyone ever meet the company mascot Mr Wimpy? When I was at school a girl told me that she went to Wimpy on her birthday and Mr Wimpy was there and she got cake etc. Not understanding that it was something that had to be booked and paid for, I asked to go to Wimpy thinking I'd get cake too on my 5th birthday lol! That was the first time I went to Wimpy, all I got was some chips :-(

I think the Dodge ad is real, they had really really good suspension. And a terrible advertising department. I think they just tried to point out that you wouldn't feel anything on bumpy roads but it came out a little wrong.
The Dodge ad is actually a well-crafted parody as the Coronet wasn't sold with a V-6 motor in 1952. Instead the first-gen Coronet had a Chrysler inline six.

Speaking of silly car commercials--Here's one.

The Dodge ad is actually a well-crafted parody as the Coronet wasn't sold with a V-6 motor in 1952. Instead the first-gen Coronet had a Chrysler inline six.

That's a little disappointing, can't trust anything. But it makes sense I guess.

Since I've brought up milk, I might as well share this advert - made by Michael Bay, no less (although you'd be surprised considering the lack of explosions and offensive humor):

Speaking of silly car commercials--Here's one.

Here's a couple of car/car company commercials I remember for one reason or another:

VW Polo - "Tower Block"

Skoda Fabia - "Cake Car"

Honda - "The Cog"

Honda - "The Impossible Dream"

New Threads

Top Bottom