• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Offer all of the best advise we don't want to hear

Hmm I'm a little confused with this thread, not quite sure what sort of responses you want. I thought you were doing a sort of sarcastic rant due to receiving bad advice or something.

Hmm I'm a little confused with this thread, not quite sure what sort of responses you want. I thought you were doing a sort of sarcastic rant due to receiving bad advice or something.
No, I was thinking that constructive criticism can sting, so consider the apologies already implied, and just go for it.

As you go through life be comforted by the fact that the sunshine always follows the rain. Of course the rain always follows the sunshine, so use your best judgement.

Levitator, after a long process of continuous improvement, you should probably set your guitar on fire, unlike Hendrix, who was worth a damn, have your vocal chords excised, and make the commitment to only ever listen to music and never make any.

EDIT: The fact that I've been steadily improving for so long only makes it worse that I'm still awful at it, and every time I switch back to hearing someone who is actually skilled at music, I want to dump the entire pile of musical crap in an incinerator. It's frustrating because I always thought that words were my strong suit, but then it turns out nobody hears those, so you figure music fills the emotional connection that's missing, but I suck at it, and I might waste the rest of my life getting decent to discover nobody can stand what I perform any more than they can my prose.

Last edited by a moderator:
Go, no apologies requested.
Just be yourself
Whatever that may be.
Never let people tell you just because you have incapacity with disabilities that you are limited in life
Never let anyone steal your sparkle or push you around
Be self compassionate for shortcomings or mistakes
Do not think you have to do it all.
You are worthy of the love you deserve and deserve find fulfilling love.
Never let anyone deny your truths.
People who hurt you deserve justice and that has nothing to do with revenge because you are not the one perpetrating it, it is just what goes around should come back around. Karma. You can forgive those people and still hope you find justice
Because nobody deserves to be pushed around like they do not matter or are a nobody or get treated like a flea. That is wrong.
There are people out there who buy fast fashion etc and yes clothing is expensive I know and we are all guilty but seem unable to validate the fact that there are people who break their back to make that working copious amounts of hours barely having enough income to feed their families and women have wardrobes of clothes that they update each season.
And some people know how they are made.
People when they get hair extensions do they think woman are happy to cut off their hair for them in poor countries like they are happy to go to all the effort to grow it and cut it off each time and grow it back for very little wage and then not have beautiful hair themselves to feed their families.
These woman already have hair often that is fine even women with thicker hair do it. If you eat well and take care of your hair and do not dye it too often it will be better anyway.
I mean really these people have to suffer do they think even if they brought a bit less and reused things a bit more or tried to minimise their wardrobe and have a few nice pieces or brought second hand sometimes that it may help because these people might have reduced hours and not have to work so long. I mean it is the greedy corporations themselves too to blame and we can be all guilty but there is always ways we can better ourselves rather than spending all free time shopping.
Do people think that at Easter when they buy so much chocolate the amount of work it takes for people in other countries to make the cocoa beans and sometimes involves children as well who have never even had chocolate or tried it and yet forget the true meaning of Easter that christ died to give us what we have and they should be thankful for our health, families, able bodies, freedom, food, homes, jobs, clean water, holidays, fun that they experience each day for a percentage of people?
If you had 10 dollars and you were buying a coffee and a cake and were quite comfortable and a homeless man needed help would you give him the money and then know there is always never pay or maybe even you could get another 10 dollars out of the bank and have it on another day for some people. Or so what if it is next pay? That was a kind deed.
Do people still remember to hold doors for the elderly or give up seats on transport? You could always hold the rail or sit on the floor at the back of the train.
I would like to know whether people still do it, i always believe some people out there do.
I do not accuse people like us with disabilities we have enough challenges and struggles and often trauma and people should be helping us this is just aimed at people that some are self centred.
But I know it is not everyone and not fair to judge each specific person without knowing them.
But people even forget to thank God for giving them life and providing even though we all have struggles but everyone should feel welcomed by God no matter who they are or how they exist.
Also when people say never give up, you can give up but life still goes on so you hace to find a way to keep functioning.

Levitator, after a long process of continuous improvement, you should probably set your guitar on fire, unlike Hendrix, who was worth a damn, have your vocal chords excised, and make the commitment to only ever listen to music and never make any.

I've been playing (as a hobby) for something like 20 years and I'm still pretty mediocre. If you have fun playing at all, creative expression can be really amazing in itself, rather than as a means of comparing yourself to others.

What's hilarious is that I've taken things up in the past 3 years that have superseded my guitar skills multiple times over and I'm just kind of glad to have my own unique style, if not much else. I still put out metal albums, because waiting for the right opportunity (or when I'm 'good') may never come.

But if you don't enjoy it, maybe the harsh truth version works too!

I've been playing (as a hobby) for something like 20 years and I'm still pretty mediocre. If you have fun playing at all, creative expression can be really amazing in itself, rather than as a means of comparing yourself to others.

What's hilarious is that I've taken things up in the past 3 years that have superseded my guitar skills multiple times over and I'm just kind of glad to have my own unique style, if not much else. I still put out metal albums, because waiting for the right opportunity (or when I'm 'good') may never come.

But if you don't enjoy it, maybe the harsh truth version works too!
There's some fun in it, singing to myself, the same way that there is also talking to myself, or writing a diary, which is effectively what I do when I write and nobody answers.

I might waste the rest of my life getting decent to discover nobody can stand what I perform any more than they can my prose.

You'd be surprised at how many musicians and artists feel like this. Obviously they're usually wrong, as somebody is bound to like it and somebody is bound to dislike it. Most of us aren't destined for greatness or fame (almost nobody is, harsh-truth edition), but I think that gives us the opportunity to have a wonderful personal journey and even share it with others.

(If we want it, of course. There's no harm in just doing other things instead!)

You'd be surprised at how many musicians and artists feel like this. Obviously they're usually wrong, as somebody is bound to like it and somebody is bound to dislike it. Most of us aren't destined for greatness or fame (almost nobody is, harsh-truth edition), but I think that gives us the opportunity to have a wonderful personal journey and even share it with others.

(If we want it, of course. There's no harm in just doing other things instead!)
I only ever wanted to be incidentally famous to respond to an emergency. I don't need fame for myself. I don't need to be known by hundreds or even dozens. I'd like to have a circle of a few close friends who are like family, but it seems impossible.

This is my pep talk to myself.
Keep doing your music Neri, just because you are a weird autist, doesn't mean you are too weird to go back to being a little more musically serious again.
Just because you have a lot to learn, on the technical side and need to pick up that second (and maybe third) instrument, after voice (my body is my instrument) doesn't mean you shouldn't, even though you are in the second half century of your life.
Don't let your past trauma limit your life all your life. Put it behind you and let's get onto it already!
You've done a decent job parenting and now it is time for a little more you-time.
Actually, I already have a second instrument, a little bit, I play the "egg" sometimes. Not for a while though, years now.
I still do my spontaneous compositions with my voice though (bath or shower being my fav venues of late).
It's true that some people like us and some people don't. I get on better with misfits and one-offs, like me, but not always too.
Accept that you need to accept you, more than anyone else needs to accept you.
You need to be your own best friend. Fighting amongst ourself does no good, it just wastes energy.
Take better care of yourself, obviously:
as I have this self, as my primary job, to take care of.

Last edited:
Don't make decisions, form opinions, or frame your words (**) based on emotions.

(**) Except OFC when explicitly discussing your emotional state.

New Threads

Top Bottom