• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

NTs are the ones with social issues

Ylva

V.I.P Member
The neurotypicals finally have to own up, now that science says so.

New Research Suggests Social Issues are Down to Neurotypicals more than Autistics

The reluctance of TD individuals to engage in social interactions with their ASD peers further limits the opportunities for individuals with ASD to practice their already fragile social skills. This can have a significant negative impact on the ability of socially aware and socially interested individuals with ASD to improve their social communication abilities and work toward more successful social integration.

No kidding, it's like nothing I can say is good for most NTs. Even if I do try to talk, it's like they can't even bother to listen like I'm the problem.

I have started to notice this when I’m communicating with my family. they take everything out of context and the contextis conjured from what is een to be absolutely nowhere. they give meaning to the words that I say, and hold onto their own meaning of my own words over what I expressly vocalise the meaning of my words are.

they just seem to go off of their own assumptions. in the process they overthink what I have to say given the context they’re putting my words into. context that I have no control over, unless i Specifically tell them this is not the context I’m speaking in.

It is been up to me to iron out all of their misconceptions about what I’m saying instead of saying simply the words that are coming out of my mouth.

I’m not the only one in the wrong

The neurotypicals finally have to own up, now that science says so.

New Research Suggests Social Issues are Down to Neurotypicals more than Autistics

The extract doesn't suggest that NTs have social issues, it merely points out what we already know, that NTs generally don't engage in social interactions with us - and that in failing to do so, they prevent some of us from developing better social skills.

We already know this, but given that NTs never seem to mean what they actually say, and that we take them literally when we're not meant to, the different neurologies between us are a fairly effective barrier that hardly encourages social interactions in the first place.

I don't think we can generalise the way we do when we say things like, "yes, NT's never seem to mean what they actually say", because sometimes they actually do want to be taken literally (depends on the circumstances, and no two circumstances are ever exactly the same).

I think the biggest issue when it comes to communication is the fact that, on average, 'entees' get more satisfaction and pleasure from engaging in pointless pleasantries, whereas we just want to get straight to the point. It also doesn't help that they tend not to be interested in things like physics, Star Trek, science-fiction in general - you know, the good stuff. They tend to care about things like sport and celebrity gossip, which, I have to admit, just bores me to death (and I'm not the type who easily hides his feelings when it comes to being bored). They're also very easily offended by things we neither said nor meant for some bizarre reason.

They don't know how much they need us, that's my worry for them. Look at the state of the world. Chatting fluently about inanities isn't the same as being good at communication, for starters. Also the common insistence on emotionally based priorities. Why oh why. Thinking is also useful, people.

The reference article Neurotypical Peers are Less Willing to Interact with Those with Autism based on Thin Slice Judgments actually says;

If our goal is to improve social interactions for individuals with ASD, it may therefore be equally important to educate others to be more aware and accepting of social presentation differences, rather than trying to change the many interwoven factors of self-presentation that mark the expressions of individuals with ASD as atypical.

So is this just a really long winded way of saying that an NT is more likely to listen to my theories on matter transportation from electron orbital jumping or regrowing limbs from dna blueprints, IF I brush my hair and wear lipstick? How tiresome.

So is this just a really long winded way of saying that an NT is more likely to listen to my theories on matter transportation from electron orbital jumping or regrowing limbs from dna blueprints, IF I brush my hair and wear lipstick? How tiresome.

What shampoo do you use for electron orbital jumping discussions?

Going back to the extract @Bella Pines posted, the idea expressed in it does suggest Others ie NTs might benefit from being educated to broaden their outlooks to accept our sticky up hair and crumpled t shirts, albeit while we wait for that to happen probably best to keep applying the Wash n glow. Or as I often have to, try to remove the food splashes from our fronts by strategic dabbing prior to arrival at a workplace.

I think the problem is, people (all people) tend not to care enough to make an effort unless they're directly involved. My friends (and some family) make the effort to understand my idiosyncrasies because they have a personal stake in my life, whereas random people don't care enough to make the effort. It's easy for a stranger to ignore or dismiss you because of a social faux pas than it is someone you see every day.

I don't think we can generalise the way we do when we say things like, "yes, NT's never seem to mean what they actually say", because sometimes they actually do want to be taken literally (depends on the circumstances, and no two circumstances are ever exactly the same).

I think the biggest issue when it comes to communication is the fact that, on average, 'entees' get more satisfaction and pleasure from engaging in pointless pleasantries, whereas we just want to get straight to the point. It also doesn't help that they tend not to be interested in things like physics, Star Trek, science-fiction in general - you know, the good stuff. They tend to care about things like sport and celebrity gossip, which, I have to admit, just bores me to death (and I'm not the type who easily hides his feelings when it comes to being bored). They're also very easily offended by things we neither said nor meant for some bizarre reason.

Come now, this kind of stereotyping and generalizing is not good. Many NTs are NOT this way. They do good things like volunteering, helping social causes, work in jobs to are good for humanity and the environment. There are good NTs who are fascinating, creative and not boring celebrity and shopping obsessed.

I love science fiction, am aspie, and do not understand the obsessions with Dr. Who, Star Wars, or Star Trek. I also find physics and math quite boring and not understandable (though realize just how important they are). We ALL are different.

New Threads

Top Bottom