• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Non-verbal communication

He clearly can understand what I say, and he clearly can make the sounds of speech. Some people have advised me to force him to talk. I'm uncomfortable with the idea. He trusts me and he has his own way of communicating. I don't want to violate that trust. On the other hand, as it is now, I'm the only one who understands him. What if something happens to me?

Then someone else will force him to speak, and if he still doesn't speak hopefully someone will adapt to his communication style. Maybe you can tell him about it, but try not to emphasise how permanently you expect to be gone in that scenario. Although I suppose a three-day coma would force him to rely on someone else anyway.

I don't know if this helps, but I could never stop seeing my mother as fake after she pretended not to understand me. It might not be universal, but learning things and keeping the lessons learned forever seems to be a thing with us.

It is another reason why I could never relate to people: I couldn't catch up with the new method fast enough. By the time I had unlearned the social interaction styles I learned in kindergarden, first grade was over, and so on. Just in case you need the warning.

New Threads

Top Bottom