• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

No help for the helpless

Thanks for that.
I thought I was a teenager listening to that in the '90s...

... Questioning my own timeline for a moment there.
I was muddling through my twenties in the '90s.

Exactly. I still like music, but it seemed more significant/important when I was young and I think it is indelibly linked to events in ones past.

I've yet to meet a cape wearing hero with super powers, akin to Marvel and DC portrayals.

Real heroes walk among us every day. (Without the capes)

Exactly. I still like music, but it seemed more significant/important when I was young and I think it is indelibly linked to events in ones past.

I use music a lot. Lowering stress, changing mood, escapism, blocking out other noise, singing along.

There are certain genres that are basically anthems attached to phases like awkward teenage years and the like. For me anyway. :)

I use music a lot. Lowering stress, changing mood, escapism, blocking out other noise, singing along.

There are certain genres that are basically anthems attached to phases like awkward teenage years and the like. For me anyway. :)

Same as above. But for me the 70's were the teen years (which I still do not know how I survived) and the 80's probably the most significant decade as far as what was going on in my life. I was still very tied emotionally to the music. I put that song on a mixed tape I made for my wife before we started dating (and before I knew she was a pretty hardcore Christian). :D

Same as above. But for me the 70's were the teen years (which I still do not know how I survived) and the 80's probably the most significant decade as far as what was going on in my life. I was still very tied emotionally to the music. I put that song on a mixed tape I made for my wife before we started dating (and before I knew she was a pretty hardcore Christian). :D

I don't know how you survived the platform shoes, satin flares and that mix of colour on wall paper either. :D

In true Aspie form, I was mostly out of sync with the popular trends. I never connected with the hippie hangover years or disco phase. I was listening to R&B, then Fusion (most likely because of my environment) and later attracted most naturally towards Alternate Rock, which back then was called Progressive. But I was most fortunate to have some much older music gurus who introduced me to really diverse and sometimes out there music (Jamacian folk, John Cale, Roxy Music, Doctor Demento, etc.) I did however borrow a pair of Blue platform shoes once. :D

@Tom, the "alt-pop" radio stations of my HS years (1989-93) mixed newer alt-pop and synthpop with a lot of 80s stuff. There was little in the way of announcing and I tended to assume that all the songs were new. And of course there's my terrible memory. Off topic, but thanks.

Just yesterday I said to someone, "You are my hero!"

Of course heroes only exists in fiction if you define the term in a way that confines them to fiction.

And I won't say too much since it was pointed out to be irrelevant, but any worldview which decrees pointlessness, misery, evil, etc upon the universe is an explanation their mind has formed to describe and put into context their own experiences. It has little relation to reality or the world but is only a manifestation of one's own suffering, lack of self-esteem, anger, etc.

And I used to believe the same exact things!
Fun days. :)

Do you ever ask for help?
Not just in words but actions, such as where you and what you do and what you think.

I've been asking for help for 10 years to no avail. Doctors have only misdiagnosed me with nearly every single diagnosis and pumped me full of pills I have adverse reactions to. My therapist tells me that I have no major trauma in my life and no reason to be the way I am despite me actually having many traumatic things that I didn't feel comfortable disclosing in the 2nd session. Sorry for feeling this way but every single person who has attempted to help me has made me worse emotionally and or physically. Everyone always makes assumptions about me because they can't figure me out.

Do you ever ask for help?
Not just in words but actions, such as where you and what you do and what you think.

Re
I've yet to meet a cape wearing hero with super powers, akin to Marvel and DC portrayals.

Real heroes walk among us every day. (Without the capes)

No real heroes are doing things that EVERY SINGLE person SHOULD do but we live in such a nasty world that when someone does something that they should (be nice or give a helping hand) they are called heroes. No you aren't a hero. You are simply not a crappy person and have some respect/morals.

I'd gladly die if it meant saving 3 others. That doesn't make me a hero it makes me not complete trash.

Last edited by a moderator:
If not today, then when's tomorrow?
Waiting patiently for your words to be true
You say one day it'll all get better
In the meantime what am I to do?

The mirror it tells of all my pain
A book written in reflection
It cracks as shards fall to the ground
It bleeds words of defamation

I've fought a war for far too long
The war of love and hate
My battle is almost lost as I leave my crippled name