• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

No help for the helpless

CassLovesBears

Alekzandra
Heroes don't wear capes
They have no fancy suit
No lair to dwell and no sidekick to help

Where did they all go
Are heroes a fragile fable
Because sometimes I wish there was someone to help the weaker

I was not made to thrive
Not in the world we live
Not in another time
Or even on a different planet

I think too much and yet not enough
Wasting energy on unimportance
My life drains away as I start to lose the rest of my focus

What matters when you have no one but social isolation
She's become the only thing I've known
Finding all my frustrations

Surrounded by blurry faces that never speak
Trapped and locked away with a broken key
My heart screams with every breath I breathe
Taking in a poison that will never leave

Heroes don't exist, they never have
People won't help, they never do
As I lay dying the last thing to run through my brain
Desiring for an end to my excruciating loneliness and pain

This is me I suppose

I keep forgetting to make a thread about poetry. There should be one with our own poetry and one of others' poems that we like!

Hi Cass :)

welcome to af.png

I don't do it anymore, but I used to write poems (albeit badly). There was something satisfying in the process, or maybe cathartic, trying to capture the feelings I was experiencing in words.

The only one I easily remember was one of the dumbest. (I seem only to have good memory for stupid things). I had gone to the bank and while standing in line a little boy pretended to shoot everyone in line with his imaginary gun. Then he asked his mom for more bullets.

Tiny Tot in the Bank
Wastes everyone in the Line
Bullets for Fernando

Nice poem :)

It's like you read my mind from wherever you are. "I am not made to thrive here" is something I say to myself every few days. Seriously. I have even written that in all my numerous journals lol

In fact I said it just two days ago to my husband. I told him, "I accept myself, but I'm just sad that I wasn't made to thrive in this world." He said he doesn't believe that is true. But I do, unfortunately. *sigh*

Nice poem :)

It's like you read my mind from wherever you are. "I am not made to thrive here" is something I say to myself every few days. Seriously. I have even written that in all my numerous journals lol

In fact I said it just two days ago to my husband. I told him, "I accept myself, but I'm just sad that I wasn't made to thrive in this world." He said he doesn't believe that is true. But I do, unfortunately. *sigh*
This message is just something I guess I needed to hear from somebody else, even though I can relate a ton.

I also have a poem on this site somewhere. I think it might be buried, though.

Omg haha I just realized, my profile post from Tuesday says this:

"I wasn't meant to thrive. Not in this world. Not in this lifetime. Trying to be OK with that..."

Seriously. You have read my mind or looked into my soul or something. o_O:eek::D

This message is just something I guess I needed to hear from somebody else, even though I can relate a ton.

I also have a poem on this site somewhere. I think it might be buried, though.

Yeah, it's kind of the roadblock that I've hit and been stuck behind recently.

I love being on this road to self-acceptance and all, but I do get hit with that very thought every single day.

I know we can all adjust in certain ways or whatever, but we can only adjust so much.

I saw two variations in this thread:

"I was not made to thrive."

"I was not meant to thrive."

I'm likely taking each word too literally when I say that one implies a belief in a God which "made" you, and the other implies a belief in "fate" or some other predetermining force.

My guess is that the implied meaning of both statements is actually, "I am burdened with particular difficulties which make it impossible for me to thrive in this world," but that's obviously less poetic.

But this interpretation actually isn't all that different than the previous I explained, as it shares in common the essence of, "I am not in control." The only difference is that this third one leaves it to the force "chance".

All three versions resign ourselves to a higher power. I assume any who identify with the original statement does not believe in free will.

I can't recall an example at this moment, but there have been so many times in my life in which someone said something like: "No, you're not supposed to do it like that."

And my answer was basically, "Then it's so weird that it's exactly what I'm doing!"

There is only one power that actually has the force to have you be the way you're meant to be or do what you're meant to do, and that is yourself saying it enough times that you believe it.

Last edited:
I saw two variations in this thread:

"I was not made to thrive."

"I was not meant to thrive."

I'm likely taking each word too literally when I say that one implies a belief in a God which "made" you, and the other implies a belief in "fate" or some other predetermining force.

My guess is that the implied meaning of both statements is actually, "I am burdened with particular difficulties which make it impossible for me to thrive in this world," but that's obviously less poetic.

But this interpretation actually isn't all that different than the previous I explained, as it shares in common the essence of, "I am not in control." The only difference is that this third one leaves it to the force "chance".

All three versions resign ourselves to a higher power. I assume any who identify with the original statement does not believe in free will.

I can't recall an example at this moment, but there have been so many times in my life in which someone said something like: "No, you're not supposed to do it like that."

And my answer was basically, "Then it's so weird that it's exaclty what I'm doing!"

There is only one power that actually has the force to have you be the way you're meant to be or do what you're meant to do, and that is yourself saying it enough times that you believe it.

I actually believe in God and fate so I do full heartedly believe some things are out of our control. I was born with a unique brain. My amygdala and hippocampus is not entirely in my hands.

I actually believe in God and fate so I do full heartedly believe some things are out of our control. I was born with a unique brain. My amygdala and hippocampus is not entirely in my hands.

That's wonderful!

In that case, do you believe in a loving God?
Or you believe God would make his children in a way that they have no way of thriving?
Do you have any ideas as to why God would make you and place you here at this time just to suffer?

Last edited:
Heroes don't exist, they never have
People won't help, they never do

This may very well be true for you so far. I just wanted to share with you some thoughts based on my own observations over time. You're right, 'Heros' don't exist. But people can do heroic things once in a while. But having done something heroic doesn't make them less human. They can do a crappy thing the very next day. As far as people helping, sometimes they do. And when they do I appreciate it, but find it best not to expect it.

Thousands and thousands of heroic acts are happening at this second and millions are helping others in half that time, but I understand all of these sorts of statements within the context of poetry and other writings. ;)

This may very well be true for you so far. I just wanted to share with you some thoughts based on my own observations over time. You're right, 'Heros' don't exist. But people can do heroic things once in a while. But having done something heroic doesn't make them less human. They can do a crappy thing the very next day. As far as people helping, sometimes they do. And when they do I appreciate it, but find it best not to expect it.

No one's ever helped me mentally or emotionally so I guess I'm just not lucky enough to see those people

That's wonderful!

In that case, do you believe in a loving God?
Or you believe God would make his children in a way that they have no way of thriving?
Do you have any ideas as to why God would make you and you place here at this time just to suffer?

I hate to hijack Cass's thread, but personally I believe that some people were put here to suffer. Why I don't know. Some people are just meant to be useless eaters who are constantly being persecuted by their betters for their inherent unworthiness of being alive.

Thomas Jefferson once wrote that the majority of men are not born with saddles on their backs, nor a favored few booted and spurred, in order to ride them by the grace of God. IMO he had it backwards-there are a favored few and the unfavored many. Some people are meant to be punching bags their whole lives, and others the punchers.

The cruelest thing about it is that if the worthless try to kill themselves they are forcibly brought back from the brink and then forced into mental hospitals and pumped full of happy pills. It's not enough to simply be a worthless punching bag, you have to LIKE it. Try to remove yourself and you are forced into saying how wonderful you think your life is, and if you refuse to say it you are tortured until you do. The sickest manifestation of this is during the middle ages when people who attempted suicide were thrown in dungeons for the rest of their lives and even executed. Suicide as a crime punishable by death.

I don't want to start any blasphemous rumors
But I think that God's got a sick sense of humor
And when I die I expect to find him laughing -Depeche Mode, "Blasphemous Rumors", early 1990s

I hate to hijack Cass's thread, but personally I believe that some people were put here to suffer. Why I don't know. Some people are just meant to be useless eaters who are constantly being persecuted by their betters for their inherent unworthiness of being alive.

Thomas Jefferson once wrote that the majority of men are not born with saddles on their backs, nor a favored few booted and spurred, in order to ride them by the grace of God. IMO he had it backwards-there are a favored few and the unfavored many. Some people are meant to be punching bags their whole lives, and others the punchers.

The cruelest thing about it is that if the worthless try to kill themselves they are forcibly brought back from the brink and then forced into mental hospitals and pumped full of happy pills. It's not enough to simply be a worthless punching bag, you have to LIKE it. Try to remove yourself and you are forced into saying how wonderful you think your life is, and if you refuse to say it you are tortured until you do. The sickest manifestation of this is during the middle ages when people who attempted suicide were thrown in dungeons for the rest of their lives and even executed. Suicide as a crime punishable by death.

I don't want to start any blasphemous rumors
But I think that God's got a sick sense of humor
And when I die I expect to find him laughing -Depeche Mode, "Blasphemous Rumors", early 1990s

I can agree with so much you said there. I don't think God however has a bad sense of humour. I think the truth is that life is not fair. Our world is a horrendous place with no justice and righteousness. It is simply a manifestation of that. We were born into a world who taught us how to think, told us what was good/bad, and poisoned us into many disgusting acts. It's not a discussion of religion it's a discussion of the truth and the world we live in. All you have to do is turn on the news for a few seconds and see the travesty. Some people don't care to do good and they have no morals. It's how it's been and will always be.

New Threads

Top Bottom