• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTIONS 2015

Question - if the disk is truly full and looping as you suggested would it give an error message saying so? Does it give any error messages if it encounters an issue running or does it just keep trying?

The thing is, CHKDSK.exe is merely a program of the operating system- not the computer's BIOS. It's just software that runs off the hard drive or a boot disk. It can function properly only if the program itself is not compromised in any way, and does not reside on a bad sector. After this many hours it seems more likely that the program itself is compromised attempting to run on a bad sector.

That the program itself may be locked into some kind of recursion which likely means there's no way for the program to terminate itself. Which might explain why it's still running this long. The only alternative I see is just to leave it on, just to see if it eventually resolves itself, moving enough data to good sectors that you get back some functionality.

But DAYIM....after twenty-some hours and how big is this hard drive? My guess is that a majority of sectors are sufficiently bad so that if CHKDSK really is still functioning, it's just moving bad sectors of data to other bad sectors.

I can't help but wonder though, if you booted the CHKDSK program off a CD, if you get different results? But I still think your hard drive is so hosed that it's probably a moot point. Tragic that your father lost the Windows 7 disk. Unless of course you earlier made a Windows 7 boot disk that actually had CHKDSK on it. Then I'd say give it a try since you probably have nothing to lose...

Last edited:
The thing is, CHKDSK.exe is merely a program of the operating system- not the computer's BIOS. It's just software that runs off the hard drive or a boot disk. It can function properly only if the program itself is not compromised in any way, and does not reside on a bad sector. After this many hours it seems more likely that the program itself is compromised attempting to run on a bad sector.

That the program itself may be locked into some kind of recursion which likely means there's no way for the program to terminate itself. Which might explain why it's still running this long. The only alternative I see is just to leave it on, just to see if it eventually resolves itself, moving enough data to good sectors that you get back some functionality.

But DAYIM....after twenty-some hours and how big is this hard drive? My guess is that a majority of sectors are sufficiently bad so that if CHKDSK really is still functioning, it's just moving bad sectors of data to other bad sectors.

I can't help but wonder though, if you booted the CHKDSK program off a CD, if you get different results?

Idk how big it was or full the drive was. At this point its been running for about 27 hours and since midnight last night got through only about 60 files that its reported. Its nine pm here and i started it at about six pm last night. It moves in spurts and makes noise so I'm scared to just give up on it and kill it.

Would a windows repair disk help? I have one. But I have nothing backed up and no image to restore from. System repair/restore or whatever its called failed and gave me an error message when I tried it. It wanted a dskchk i think cause something was corrupted? Or it got an error trying to make the image to restore from? Or maybe it didn't even start. I jusy don't know what to do...I want to let it run and finish but I need a functional laptop by Tuesday. And it sounds like it may as well be a dead harddrive running on its last legs.

PS - ahhh it moved three files up! It only took most of the afternoon...wait it moved four files total repaired one of them. The one it fixed is 10 files ahead of where it claims to be though. Omg its moving still! Over 270 files forward. Maybe it'll fix itself overnight after all...350 files forward total and still going...

Last edited:
Kari Suttle There can be endless possibles on what could happen to the drive. One thing is true with all hard drives they will fail at some point. Over a 10 year period owning 15 hard drives, 3 to 4 of them failed. For me an average drive fails after 5 years. Note I would have a higher failure rate than most people since my computers are never turned off. I think though maybe the issue you have for your drive should have it own thread since this thread was more meant for talking about New Year's Resolutions not hard drive issues.

Kari Suttle There can be endless possibles on what could happen to the drive. One thing is true with all hard drives they will fail at some point. Over a 10 year period owning 15 hard drives, 3 to 4 of them failed. For me an average drive fails after 5 years. Note I would have a higher failure rate than most people since my computers are never turned off. I think though maybe the issue you have for your drive should have it own thread since this thread was more meant for talking about New Year's Resolutions not hard drive issues.

I know but I can't move it I'm on my phone. In my original post I asked that a mod move it for me but I don't think a mod has been on here. I'll delete the posts from my laptop if it fixes itself. Its hard navigating this on my phone.

Idk how big it was or full the drive was. At this point its been running for about 27 hours and since midnight last night got through only about 60 files that its reported. Its nine pm here and i started it at about six pm last night. It moves in spurts and makes noise so I'm scared to just give up on it and kill it.

Would a windows repair disk help? I have one. But I have nothing backed up and no image to restore from. It wanted a dskchk i think cause something was corrupted? Or it got an error trying to make the image to restore from? Or maybe it didn't even start. I jusy don't know what to do...I want to let it run and finish but I need a functional laptop by Tuesday. And it sounds like it may as well be a dead harddrive running on its last legs.

Seriously I think your hard drive is hosed to the point where none of this really matters.

However if you have a bootable repair disk, run it and see if it allows you to run CHKDSK from the CD itself. And then watch to see if it methodically moves data from bad sectors to good ones and comes up with some kind of resolve in considerably less time than 27 hours. And of course run any other utilities on the disk that might fix things you are presently unaware of. But if nothing changes, then you know that the drive is so utterly compromised that it's unlikely to bring the O/S up again.

If I was in such a bind, I'd be looking tomorrow to buy a new computer. Just understand that Windows 8 is a very different system from its predecessor, and may not run some or all of the existing software you may have. Your only other option would be to buy a full version of Windows 7, a new hard drive, download all the proper drivers from Lenovo and be able to install it all on your own, or know someone who could in a tight time frame.

Wish I had better news for ya. But when you have lots of bad sectors, it just goes from bad to worse. The drive is dying...there are no real "fixes" for this.

I know but I can't move it I'm on my phone. In my original post I asked that a mod move it for me but I don't think a mod has been on here. I'll delete the posts from my laptop if it fixes itself. Its hard navigating this on my phone.
Fair enough. I know what you mean as I use this site sometimes on my phone too.

Seriously I think your hard drive is hosed to the point where none of this really matters.

However if you have a bootable repair disk, run it and see if it allows you to run CHKDSK from the CD itself. And then watch to see if it methodically moves data from bad sectors to good ones and comes up with some kind of resolve in considerably less time than 27 hours. And of course run any other utilities on the disk that might fix things you are presently unaware of. But if nothing changes, then you know that the drive is so utterly compromised that it's unlikely to bring the O/S up again.

If I was in such a bind, I'd be looking tomorrow to buy a new computer. Just understand that Windows 8 is a very different system from its predecessor, and may not run some or all of the existing software you may have. Your only other option would be to buy a full version of Windows 7, a new hard drive, download all the proper drivers from Lenovo and be able to install it all on your own, or know someone who could in a tight time frame.

Wish I had better news for ya. But when you have lots of bad sectors, it just goes from bad to worse. The drive is dying...there are no real "fixes" for this.

At this point I just want a new laptop if/when chkdsk finishes. I want it to finish so i can have dad look at it. My old laptop crashed and he got me a new laptop and fixed the old one and gave it to my brother. I have my documents and itunes on a flash drive so theyre fine. Knowing my dad he will probably either fix it or take me out so I can buy a new one. Or bring one home from work if he can still do that.

At this point I just want a new laptop if/when chkdsk finishes. I want it to finish so i can have dad look at it. My old laptop crashed and he got me a new laptop and fixed the old one and gave it to my brother. I have my documents and itunes on a flash drive so theyre fine. Knowing my dad he will probably either fix it or take me out so I can buy a new one. Or bring one home from work if he can still do that.

Try booting with the repair disk. It doesn't appear you have anything to lose by trying...

But that would be great if your father could find you a laptop with Windows 7 on it.

Am I still in the New Year's Resolution thread or are you guys going to start a resolution of doing more small talk? :p

image.jpg

With my past bad luck of keeping them, I'm probably only going to make two this year:

1. Stop the e-cigarette (which I've started already a few days ago, easy enough when I'm determined)
2. Do something about my weight (Anything, I can't keep doing nothing)

I find if you set achievable goals you're more likely to complete them and maintain them. If there's a lot of resolutions, it kinda turns into a complex web of things which become difficult to manage.

Is windows 8 bad? Cause unless dad takes me to someplace like best buy or finds the CD that's the only one Walmart has. Cause whether chkdsk completes or not I don't think my laptop will last much longer.

I love Windows 8, it's never given me reasons to dislike it - upgrade to 8.1 was pretty difficult mind.

It's different, you can't think of it in the same way as Windows 7 - it's my daily on my desktop PC. Shame the metro start menu is going in W10.

Anyway a little of topic..

Now about Windows 8.1........just kidding!!! Actually, I hate it and did all I could not to get it but it ended up updating itself.

Anyway, back to our normal broadcasting of New Year's resolutions. :rolleyes:

Am I still in the New Year's Resolution thread or are you guys going to start a resolution of doing more small talk? :p
I'm just glad that this time it wasn't my fault the thread got derailed! :D

I think I probably also need to make a resolution to read more. Maybe not as much as I used to, I don't have that kind of time. But maybe a book a month. Project Gutenberg was kind enough to have tons of good classics I've been wanting to read.

To take things one step at a time and appreciate the progress I made. In other words, to count the steps I've made towards my goals as successes in and of themselves which might be as great a reward as reaching the actual goal.

New Threads

Top Bottom