• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTIONS 2015

Grumpy Cat

It's me again, Grumpy Cat. Usually I don't make New Year's resolutions because if I want to make a change I just go ahead and do it anytime of the year. This year, however, I'm going to give it a whirl.

Let's see. What could a resolution be for me? Less grumpy! Heck NO! What fun would that be? :rolleyes:

Less small talk? Definitely NOT! :confused:

Ok, seriously. Everything is new - new job, new schedule, new co-workers, new me. Possible resolutions:

1) Stay on exercise routine 5 days a week - very hard, but doable.

2) Healthy diet - somewhat difficult, but I usually eat healthy most days.

3) DRINK MORE WATER - really need to do this and it is really difficult.

4) TAKE VITAMINS AND FISH OIL EVERY DAY- also hard, but necessary.

5) CUT OUT WINE - I used to always have 2 glasses of wine before bed to try to get to sleep (working nights is really hard), but changing my schedule around I have found I'm not needing it now and it's been almost a week with no wine!!! I think this new job and schedule change may be a really good thing for me. We'll see. :)

So that gives me 5 resolutions to work on for 2015. How about you? What do you think you could do?

image.jpg

Drink less water and take better care of my laptop. I'm currently facing what I can only guess is either a virus or hard drive problems. And I need my laptop for school. And dad will blame any laptop failure on me whether it is or isn't my fault.

For the long explanation...im currently sitting on chkdsk running for 22hrs now hoping it finishes by the end of the day Wednesday when I go back to work babysitting. Its got 42% of files scanned on the fourth stage and at first went fast now its at a crawl. I was trying to make a reset image in case my entire laptop crashes before I can back by stuff up on an external harddrive but its making g me run chkdsk first. I have a repair disk and my important school stuff and iTunes backed up on a flash drive but that's it. This all started a few weeks ago. It started running slower at which point I remembered my antivirus wasn't installed so I installed it. But even tho it got stuff off it started running slower and slower. Eventually wouldn't open anything - like the internet or word - or froze trying. I'd repost this in case the computer section but I'm on my ****** android phone I can't. If a mod wants to be nice and do it for me I'd love it.

Assuming my laptop makes it to the new year I want to treat it better. I reinstalled my antivirus so that should help. It got a lot off but never could finish an entire full scan.

Last edited:
I think I'm going to try the exercise thing again too, I felt so much better when I had that physical release every day. My kid is a bit older, will hopefully be out of the terrible twos soon. Or at the very least not try so hard to synchronize his sleep schedule with mine so I can do it before he gets up! I tried exercising with a baby once when he was out of the infant stage, and I couldn't do it. You know what push-ups are like with a giggling, slobbering baby climbing onto your back because mommy just became the most entertaining thing ever? And don't get me started on the yoga or pilates!

And I am going to attempt to put out more original artwork instead of just commissions and my comic.

For the long explanation...im currently sitting on chkdsk running for 22hrs now hoping it finishes by the end of the day Wednesday when I go back to work babysitting. Its got 42% of files scanned on the fourth stage and at first went fast now its at a crawl.

At 22 hours for only 42% of the drive, it sounds like chkdsk is attempting to repair massive numbers of bad sectors. If this is the case, your hard drive is likely dying.

At 22 hours for only 42% of the drive, it sounds like chkdsk is attempting to repair massive numbers of bad sectors. If this is the case, your hard drive is likely dying.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking...but why? I've never had hard drive issues with a laptop. This was the first new one I've ever had its only four years old. All my other ones were used ones dad brought home from work that they weren't using no more.

I will say this though...my laptop has never shut down when I tell it to. Not unless it itself orders it like with windows update. And it won't boot to safe mode...that or I'm just impatient. Its always on and mostly gets turned off if it freezes by way of a hard reset. And until this month that rarely happened. Again, why? I'll have to go to dad if it won't fix itself and he won't be happy with this at all. He lost the original windows installation disk too so all I have is the windows repair disk I made yesterday. And some stuff saved on a flash drive. I use a lenovo g550 with windows 7 and it has an Intel pentium inside sticker on it. Idk any of its specs. Oh and yesterday the firewall randomly failed and wouldn't re enable. Gave an error msg. And it booted me off my internet connection. I'm regretting running chkdsk now...but again dad will be pissed I crashed the only new laptop he ever gave me. Ooh and one time like a year ago it randomly wouldn't let me log on. I don't remember the erreorcmessage but I did a system restore and made a new user since I couldn't access my old one.

Last edited:
Four years can be a lot of exposure for a drive that's on most of the time. Enough to cause bad sectors, short of the laptop being physically jarred from time to time. Plus not all drives are created equal. Some simply have longer lifespans than others. Without the original OS and BIOS installation disks you definitely have a problem though if the entire drive must be replaced.

Four years can be a lot of exposure for a drive that's on most of the time. Enough to cause bad sectors, short of the laptop being physically jarred from time to time. Plus not all drives are created equal. Some simply have longer lifespans than others. Without the original OS and BIOS installation disks you definitely have a problem though if the entire drive must be replaced.

Hmm okay. At this point if it finishes the disk check ill ask for a new laptop. But if it doesn't...I can take it to my babysitting job and hope it finishes but I'd have to close the laptop and put it in my backback. But would that harm an intermittently running but mostly stalled chkdsk? I told it to repair bad sectors too. It was scheduled. If I can buy time and let it run and finish so dad can at least look at it I'd like to.

Hmm okay. At this point if it finishes the disk check ill ask for a new laptop. But if it doesn't...I can take it to my babysitting job and hope it finishes but I'd have to close the laptop and put it in my backback. But would that harm a running but

If Chkdsk does cycle through properly and moves all your data from bad to good sectors it might still be usable. At least enough to transfer important data to disk. But once you have bad sectors on a hard drive, it just goes from bad to worse. I noticed Lenovo had a BIOS update for that computer back in 2010. Was it ever applied? Just wondering...

Laptops and netbooks :: Lenovo G Series laptops :: Lenovo G550 Notebook - Lenovo Support (US)

Last edited:
If Chkdsk does cycle through properly and moves all your data from bad to good sectors it might still be usable. At least enough to transfer important data to disk. But once you have bad sectors on a hard drive, it just goes from bad to worse. I noticed Lenovo had a BIOS update for that computer back in 2010. Was it ever applied? Just wondering...

Laptops and netbooks :: Lenovo G Series laptops :: Lenovo G550 Notebook - Lenovo Support (US)

I have no idea. I got it in mid november of 2010 brand new fresh out of the box. Dad set it up for me. If its not finished by morning Thursday its going to my babysitting job with me but I'll have to shut the laptop to take it along...will that harm chkdsk if its stalled?

I have no idea. I got it in mid november of 2010 brand new fresh out of the box. Dad set it up for me. If its not finished by morning Thursday its going to my babysitting job with me but I'll have to shut the laptop to take it along...will that harm chkdsk if its stalled?

I'd think running CHKDSK while the computer is in any kind of motion is a bad idea period. Shut it down before transporting it...but at least read the screen first to see if it says anything about bad sectors.

Shame you don't have the original OS disk. Otherwise I'd say just go out and buy a new hard drive. I feel bad for anyone forced prematurely to go from Windows 7 to Windows 8 over a bad hard drive alone...if you buy a new system.

Last edited:
I'd think running CHKDSK while the computer is in any kind of motion is a bad idea period. Shut it down before transporting it...but at least read the screen first to see if it says anything about bad sectors.

The entire current screen is full of repaired bad clusters at windows/winsxs and found.003/dir0001.chk. the laptop makes a normal constant whirring sound every so often - otherwise its silent - and the hard drive led is lit constantly. Its thinking more often than it was, though. I know its further than it says it is (file 155093) cause the last repaired one was 155108. Every few hours it jumps like 20 files. It ran normal till it came to stage four and has stalled all over the place with bad clusters in files since.

Shame you don't have the original OS disk. Otherwise I'd say just go out and buy a new hard drive. I feel bad for anyone forced prematurely to go from Windows 7 to Windows 8 over a bad hard drive alone...if you buy a new system.

Is windows 8 bad? Cause unless dad takes me to someplace like best buy or finds the CD that's the only one Walmart has. Cause whether chkdsk completes or not I don't think my laptop will last much longer.

The entire current screen is full of repaired bad clusters at windows/winsxs and found.003/dir0001.chk. the laptop makes a normal constant whirring sound every so often - otherwise its silent - and the hard drive led is lit constantly. Its thinking more often than it was, though. I know its further than it says it is (file 155093) cause the last repaired one was 155108. Every few hours it jumps like 20 files. It ran normal till it came to stage four and has stalled all over the place with bad clusters in files since.

It sounds like your hard drive may not have enough viable disk space left to physically transfer data on bad sectors to good sectors. But it continues to try anyways...a vicious cycle of sorts. Which might explain the present behavior of the drive while in CHKDSK. The point though is that it indeed sounds like your drive is dying and beyond the point of revival. Just too many bad sectors and not enough space to move the data to make it work again.

Windows 8? It's terrible IMO. So much so Microsoft is skipping version 9, going straight to 10. Guess they want to distance themselves from uh....themselves! :rolleyes:

You might still find Windows 7 out there, but it will cost you along with a new hard drive to make it all work on the existing computer unless there is other damage not accounted for.

That's...interesting. I'll wait till tomorrow to kill the process - how do I even kill a dskchk? - to at least give it a fighting chance. I heard stopping dskchk can cause even more damage than was already present. Plus its scheduled so it'll probably just try it all over again at reboot! Ugh.

It sounds like your hard drive may not have enough viable disk space left to physically transfer data on bad sectors to good sectors. But it continues to try anyways...a vicious cycle of sorts. Which might explain the present behavior of the drive while in CHKDSK. The point though is that it indeed sounds like your drive is dying and beyond the point of revival. Just too many bad sectors and not enough space to move the data to make it work again.

Windows 8? It's terrible IMO. So much so Microsoft is skipping version 9, going straight to 10. Guess they want to distance themselves from uh....themselves! :rolleyes:

You might still find Windows 7 out there, but it will cost you along with a new hard drive to make it all work on the existing computer unless there is other damage not accounted for.

I HATE Windows 8! It's so horrible! I need to check if I can downgrade to Windows 7 on my laptop.

I HATE Windows 8! It's so horrible! I need to check if I can downgrade to Windows 7 on my laptop.
The only case it may be possible if your are a business that have the business version of Windows 8. However, if you install Class Shell from Classic Shell - Start menu and other Windows enhancements you can get he Start menu back and it will make Windows 8 seems more like Windows 7. I'm using it myself and best part of all it is free.

To have a successful business and have a local friend. I find having a successful business is more controllable than having a friend since I don't connect well with most people.

That's...interesting. I'll wait till tomorrow to kill the process - how do I even kill a dskchk? - to at least give it a fighting chance. I heard stopping dskchk can cause even more damage than was already present. Plus its scheduled so it'll probably just try it all over again at reboot! Ugh.

That's correct. You don't. At least I wouldn't try under the circumstances.

Can I hard reboot during Check Disk? - Microsoft Community

That's correct. You don't. At least I wouldn't try under the circumstances.

Can I hard reboot during Check Disk? - Microsoft Community

Thanks for the link. I officially am off job one for the rest of the week but will have to work Friday evening at my other job as usual. Question - if the disk is truly full and looping as you suggested would it give an error message saying so? Does it give any error messages if it encounters an issue running or does it just keep trying?

This is my resolution. Need to repeat this to myself every morning and before going to sleep...

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1419994406216.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1419994406216.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 214

New Threads

Top Bottom