• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

new here, hello

cosmicfox

Hi, my name is Jules, they/he, I'm 25 yrs old and trying to get use to the fact I might be autistic. My last therapist highly suspected me of being on the spectrum, she gave me two online quizzes to take and both came out me being "some autistic traits/mild" or "indicative of having ASD" and my therapist was very understanding and accommodating, and gave me sheets to help me understand myself better. So I did feel safe around her, but I struggled with voicing my problems. I'm not very articulate and when I talk, its hard to voice the words I want to come out. Especially when I want to ask for help. Even around my online friends, I feel I can't go to them for help because I feel like I'm "too much" or "too weird" even though none of them have told me that. I just have had bad experiences and I want to overcome that fear.

The reason I say I'm trying to get use to being autistic is because I'm currently dealing with imposter syndrome and thinking I'm not autistic "enough" to call myself autistic. And I know that sounds silly, because every autistic person is different. I do struggle with fitting in with others, I got bullied a lot in school for being different, and I practically taught myself "people will only like me if I act like them and like what they like." I don't really leave the house because of my high anxiety and confusion with socializing, and just general fear of people. But I also have CPTSD, and sometimes CPTSD can show autistic-like symptoms. That's why I feel confused. Though I could just have both.

I don't want to try and list every autistic symptom I have, but my parents did mention when I was a kid, I was very shy and had sensory issues with wearing jewelry. (I still do) I did struggle with selective mutism till I was 18. I'm not a social butterfly, but I am now able to talk to cashier people and order food at restaurants, but that's probably my extent of talking to strangers. One thing I do a lot though is stim, I'm always physically or vocally stimming. I also act very eccentric at home compared to being in public. I have a few stimming toys I bring with me though. I was also obsessed with sonic the hedgehog as a kid, to the point everyone in school knew me as the sonic fan. There's a lot of things I could recall to try to prove to myself I am autistic, but I don't want to type too much anymore. If anyone has any questions though, please let me know. I might respond late though, I need time to think of what to say most of the time. Thank you for having me here.

Welcome!

Myself, I'm able to articulate myself far better in writing than verbally - and when speaking, I quite often stumble on my words, so you're not alone there.

It's good that you're comfortable being yourself at home - which is often a refuge for many of us to be ourselves, free of judgement from others.

welcome to af.png

Hi, my name is Jules, they/he, I'm 25 yrs old and trying to get use to the fact I might be autistic. My last therapist highly suspected me of being on the spectrum, she gave me two online quizzes to take and both came out me being "some autistic traits/mild" or "indicative of having ASD" and my therapist was very understanding and accommodating, and gave me sheets to help me understand myself better. So I did feel safe around her, but I struggled with voicing my problems. I'm not very articulate and when I talk, its hard to voice the words I want to come out. Especially when I want to ask for help. Even around my online friends, I feel I can't go to them for help because I feel like I'm "too much" or "too weird" even though none of them have told me that. I just have had bad experiences and I want to overcome that fear.

The reason I say I'm trying to get use to being autistic is because I'm currently dealing with imposter syndrome and thinking I'm not autistic "enough" to call myself autistic. And I know that sounds silly, because every autistic person is different. I do struggle with fitting in with others, I got bullied a lot in school for being different, and I practically taught myself "people will only like me if I act like them and like what they like." I don't really leave the house because of my high anxiety and confusion with socializing, and just general fear of people. But I also have CPTSD, and sometimes CPTSD can show autistic-like symptoms. That's why I feel confused. Though I could just have both.

I don't want to try and list every autistic symptom I have, but my parents did mention when I was a kid, I was very shy and had sensory issues with wearing jewelry. (I still do) I did struggle with selective mutism till I was 18. I'm not a social butterfly, but I am now able to talk to cashier people and order food at restaurants, but that's probably my extent of talking to strangers. One thing I do a lot though is stim, I'm always physically or vocally stimming. I also act very eccentric at home compared to being in public. I have a few stimming toys I bring with me though. I was also obsessed with sonic the hedgehog as a kid, to the point everyone in school knew me as the sonic fan. There's a lot of things I could recall to try to prove to myself I am autistic, but I don't want to type too much anymore. If anyone has any questions though, please let me know. I might respond late though, I need time to think of what to say most of the time. Thank you for having me here.
You are not alone at all in this! I wish I'd been given this kind of information when I was 25, and I wish this forum had been around then. That was a long time ago.

Anyhow, welcome to the forum. What questionnaires did you take, if you don't mind my asking?

Just curious... I am formally (and very late) diagnosed, and I took the AQ among many other assessments that the psychologist administered to me in his office.

N

Welcome, Jules. At your age, in the 1970s autism was rarely diagnosed, and I just thought that my social isolation was a product of my fear of rejection. Little did I know that I was Autistic. That came out only after triggers would have me inhabit the mind of that lonely and damaged young adult. Now it makes sense. I was just fortunate that I decided to be kind rather than lashing out, though that was a close thing at times. My experience has left me accepting of others yet having a great dislike of cruelty towards people.

Last edited:
You are welcome here definitely, and this is a solid place to have / find a voice whenever you want / need to.

You are not alone at all in this! I wish I'd been given this kind of information when I was 25, and I wish this forum had been around then. That was a long time ago.

Anyhow, welcome to the forum. What questionnaires did you take, if you don't mind my asking?

Just curious... I am formally (and very late) diagnosed, and I took the AQ among many other assessments that the psychologist administered to me in his office.

N
Thank you. And I took the Autism-Spectrum Quotient Test and RAADS-14 test from psychology-tools.com that my therapist had sent me.

Welcome @cosmicfox. I hope you find this forum as welcoming and useful as I have.

The reason I say I'm trying to get use to being autistic is because I'm currently dealing with imposter syndrome and thinking I'm not autistic "enough" to call myself autistic. And I know that sounds silly, because every autistic person is different.
Yes, everyone is different - you're on the right track with that. There may be some things that you could compare to others, like how you stim or how often you break down, but overall, your experience is yours and yours alone. Having a different experience than someone else doesn't invalidate your experience or theirs.

Don't worry about being "autistic enough". You are you, and you're enough for you.

Hello and welcome to the forum, Jules! Let us know if you need help with anything! This is a very supportive community!

New Threads

Top Bottom