• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Too much EMF exposure and Autism

CGlvs

I have posted another thread in regards to the neurological symptoms I am currently experiencing that is possibly related to autism. These symptoms include lightheadedness/feeling of faint upon standing or walking, pressure felt on oppositie sides of the head, body tremors, and bouts of nausea. It has now come to my attention when my father is doing some Internet research on my ongoing neuro problems and he came up with an theory that it may have to relate to possible EMP overexposure. Personally, me and my parents live in a house that is over 100 years old for 34 years(first moved in since I was close to seven years old), and regularly I sleep in a bedroom that has four electrical outlets on each side of the room, with up to 15 devices plugged in at the same time(using three surge detectors). I also own both an iPad and a smartphone and use them every day.
In addition, we always keep our WIFI router on all day 24/7 because it is needed for full operation of the outdoor cameras that uses Wifi and the indoor camera that is mostly used at night when everyone is sleeping. The router is always based in the downstairs living next to the entertainment center and is hooked up using coaxical cable provided by my local cable TV provider.

When I am downstairs watching TV, I don't feel much symptoms but when i go upstairs to my bedroom with most of the devices plugged in, then some of the symptoms, especially nausea tend to build up, sometimes worsen for almost an hour before subsiding with proper medication or herbal supplement. These often occur at night, between dinner and bedtime, but can occur at at any time of the day.

i am wondering if anyone in the autism spectrum that is exposed to EMF experience the same symptoms I am currently having. If so, are there any tips on reducing the EMF level in the house to try to reduce these symptoms?

I'm mostly impressed that a century-old home has four outlets in one bedroom. Still on knob and tube wiring? If so, that might be a lot of current draw for that kind of system.

Can't speak to the electric field stuff but I feel ill sometimes when moving around, before getting a manual labor job in a noisy factory (the opposite of autism friendly). But hey! Not so much vertigo anymore and less feeling autistic most of the time. I probably phrases something wrong here but it was an ok decision.

are there any tips on reducing the EMF level in the house to try to reduce these symptoms?
A Faraday Cage. Literally a cage, made of metal mesh. Old fashioned fly screen wire* works a treat. *Wire. *Made of metal. *Not plastic. No electromagnetic energy can pass in or out.

That means anything inside the cage will have no phone or wifi access too.

The router is always based in the downstairs living next to the entertainment center and is hooked up using coaxical cable provided by my local cable TV provider.
Coax??! I haven't seen that since the 90s.

lightheadedness/feeling of faint upon standing or walking
That's orthostatic hypotension. The blood drains from your head and pools in your legs because your heart has not caught up with the need to pump harder when you get upright. Could be dehydration, low blood sugar, poor cardiovascular conditioning, heart issues, and on and on. Whatever causes your hypotension might have something to do with the other symptoms. I had medications that caused very similar symptoms. Diabetes can cause them too.

This is something you need to discuss with a doctor. The internet is full of junk science and quack medicine.

@CGlvs

Please go to a doctor for a check up.

I don't think it's a wise use of your time to focus on the esoteric, unproven, and pseudo-scientific when there are so many common things that can cause those symptoms.

Your first consideration should be to think of electromagnetic fields in terms of their actual signal strength and physical proximity to your body on a prolonged basis. This can be determined by obtaining an EMF detecting device, which measures the strength of such signals relative to the location you are holding the device at any given time.

Using such a device will first and foremost tell you whether or not there is something to be alarmed about in terms of high or fluctuating readings. If you have them and they remain high within most physical spaces within that room, you indeed have a problem. Placing such a device where your head rests on your bed may say a lot relative to whatever readings you get.

I've found having an EMF detector set to .1 milligauss is probably most helpful regarding non-ionizing radiation exposures that may or may not be physically harmful to a human brain and body- autistic or not. Especially helpful dealing with buildings with wiring standards not properly up to code. Where you might still find Romex rather than metal conduit for electrical shielding.

However if you have considerably lower readings when your EMF detector is in close proximity to a specific device and it does not read particularly high relative to where you normally sit or sleep in a room, it may not reflect any serious or significant EMF exposures.

And as for rapidly fluctuating readings that emit "out of nowhere" not relative to any device, accompanied by a sudden drop in measured temperature, that's an entirely different issue best saved for another discussion.

Simply put, get yourself such a device and learn how to correctly read whatever exposure you may or may not actually have. It's those real readings that matter- not the theory of it all.

Last edited:
When I responded to the original post before I did so in typical autistic fashion - I answered the direct question without contemplating anything else.

@Au Naturel is correct, and there are many other things you should be looking at first. I have had those same symptoms all my life - because I have low blood pressure. If I stand up too quick I can get dizzy, even to the point of losing consciousness. It's worse if I'm dehydrated, as you dehydrate the volume of blood in your body gets less and less, and it also gets thicker and harder to pump around. On the plus side of that my heart is likely to be healthy for all of my life.

I'll effects are scientifically proven at much higher frequencies (and I experienced some of that in the military) but as yet not proven for the lower frequencies and signal strengths you are talking about. So the claims being made online and elsewhere have to be taken with a very big grain of salt. They are basically speculation.

On the other hand there are many medical conditions known to produce the symptoms you are experiencing. To me it just makes sense to first eliminate the known possibilities with your doctor first before looking for an answer in the realm of unproven theories.

When I responded to the original post before I did so in typical autistic fashion - I answered the direct question without contemplating anything else.

@Au Naturel is correct, and there are many other things you should be looking at first. I have had those same symptoms all my life - because I have low blood pressure. If I stand up too quick I can get dizzy, even to the point of losing consciousness. It's worse if I'm dehydrated, as you dehydrate the volume of blood in your body gets less and less, and it also gets thicker and harder to pump around. On the plus side of that my heart is likely to be healthy for all of my life.
I get lightheaded from standing up too quickly. I even get lightheaded when I stop walking on a hike. Part of it is from age, but a lot of it is from a medication I'm taking. (The alternative is a surgery with some nasty side effects.) Since I know I'm vulnerable I'll drink an energy drink to keep the blood pressure up. Also, overdrink to stay hydrated and munch on M&Ms or fruit to keep my blood sugar up.

There's a trick to stave off fainting if you are in a place where you simply cannot sit or lie down. Flex your knees very slightly and tighten all the muscles below your waist. Calves are the most important. This forces blood up from your legs into the upper body where the heart can pump it easier. Waist-high compression stockings do much the same thing. (Given how I like to take my hikes, not an option. 😁)

The other symptoms he describes could come from a LOT of different possibilities. It sounds very much like how I experience a panic attack. People ask here about medical problems and I'll always say to see their doctor.

@CGlvs, apart from your symptoms, which I suspect is more likely and commonly a result of hypotension, EMF exposure-related health effects are not well-accepted nor studied in humans. There are studies on the topic that do suggest concern, for sure, but do not appear to be consistent nor repeatable between studies. Short-term animal laboratory studies have suggested some concerns, but might not translate to the typical day-to-day, human experience. Many professionals who work around and are immersed in extremely high levels of EMF exposure for extended periods of time (communications technicians, IT professionals, health care professionals working in intensive care units, so on and so forth) do not appear to have associated nor common health issues. Having said that, I am sure that there may be specific individuals who are particularly sensitive. It would be nearly impossible to perform a long-term, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of EMF exposure vs. no EMF exposure in humans, as well as any potential dose-over-time studies. There may be "something" to this. The statement, "Where there is smoke, there is often fire." is likely true, but for all practical purposes, the EMF exposure health issue topic has been difficult to prove or even avoid in today's world.

Last edited:
I suspect it would be easier for the OP to rationalize a number of responses posted by actually measuring the EMF exposure they are so concerned about.

It also wouldn't surprise me if all the OP finds are typical emissions that are so low that they are physiologically insignificant. (Unless of course the old dwelling they reside in is woefully deficient in required updating of electrical facilities.)

From an underwriting perspective, it's not a bad idea to have an EMF detector handy when living in such an old structure. Same as having an CO2 detector and smoke detector as well. Though the odds of EMF readings being toxic in comparison is a long-shot at best.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom