• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Nasal Hygiene

Kayla55

I'm unsure if nasal spray for hygiene is good for sinus as opposed to teaching children to blow their nose.....but I suppose it helps to stop picking in public!!

It depends what is in it. Homemade is best, salt and baking soda .. also I use a neti pot, not so forcefully into sinuses, just a nice flow

@Kayla55 I was in bed on phone, so let me try to be more detailed.
I have used nasal sprays, only ones with ingredients I trust. I have found, they give a pressurized spray into my nasal passage up to my sinuses, and even with non-harsh ingredients, it can burn a little.
I then tried a nozzle bottle - it is like a very large nasal spray bottle which you put about a teaspoon of mixed salt and baking soda into some water, as pure water as possible, around 80-90F (27-32C). That was nicer, but still pressurized, so still sometimes burned a little.
Then I went to a neti pot. I'll link a description, it has the same mixture as above, but it is poured into the nostril, passes through the sinuses, and out the other nostril. If not careful, it can leak into throat and make you cough - but is still non-harmful.
At first I got a plastic one, but it ended up mildewing and was hard to clean. So now I have ceramic, and it is easy to clean and keep sanitized.

about the coughing, it is preventable with tightening some throat muscles. That is also good for health, as you won't "breathe food/drink" or "swallow air" as much if that muscle has good tone.

about the coughing, it is preventable with tightening some throat muscles. That is also good for health, as you won't "breathe food/drink" or "swallow air" as much if that muscle has good tone.
What is difference between Eno for indigestion and Citra soda, I mean I've read ingredients.
But ye, I'm drinking more water to improve my health but thought I'd drop this Citra soda for others to see if it helps.

I'm not sure about the Citra, but Eno is mostly calcium. It is good for temporary relief, but not long term, and if there is an underlying issue, it can feel better at first and come back even worse. Also, too much calcium can cause bone spurs and hard plaque and other issues.
I do take calcium for stomach issues, and also something else, I forget what right now. But I try not to go to heavy on it for those reasons.

Nasal spray that has oxymetazoline hydrochloride is toxic to most people, young or old. It is habit-forming and gets people hooked on using it all the time just to keep their nasal passages open. And what closes their nasal passages? Repeated use of such a nasal spray. A "solution" meant only to be used strictly on a temporary basis.

I know, as I was an oxymetazoline hydrochloride "junkie" for about three years. (I've had allergies my whole life.)

Going "cold turkey" to shed the habit wasn't fun.

I'm unsure if nasal spray for hygiene is good for sinus as opposed to teaching children to blow their nose.....but I suppose it helps to stop picking in public!!
The problem is that allergies cause sinuses to become swollen. It makes it difficult to blow your nose because the narrowed passageway prevents them from draining properly. Pretty common with allergies. When I was a kid, sinus congestion hit me pretty badly. Standing up, I was okay, but when I laid down, breathing soon became extremely difficult because it wouldn't drain. I was never able to mouth breathe when I slept.

Without Oxymetazoline Hydrochloride nose spray (Afrin and other brands), there were times I could not breathe and sleep. Nose spray is a vasoconstrictor that makes sinus tissue less swollen. (It also helps stop nosebleeds.) As an adult, I found I had little need for nose spray except once in a while in high allergy season.

Antihistamines are problematic. Most put you to sleep, so you see them in OTC sleeping pills. You may not sleep well. They leave me groggy in the morning and much of the next day. It can take a couple of hours to kick in fully. Non-drowsy antihistamines are less effective. Oral decongestants keep you awake and raise your blood pressure. Nose spray works immediately. If you feel more than a slight burn, you've overdone it.

Nose spray is not recommended for kids under six because they've never been tested that young. Given the expense of doing so, they probably never will.

Like any medicine, use it sparingly, and you'll be okay. The problem is that your body can come to expect it. Use it daily, and It loses effectiveness, and you'll eventually experience rebound congestion. Three days is about the limit. Use it once in a while, and there's no problem.

Last edited:
I used a lot of oxymetazoline spray when I was in my teens and developed the rebound affect.
I never suffered any damage from it, but it does lose it's helpfulness if on it too long.
Now I use it only occasionally. The salt and baking soda solution along with some Flonase finally got me off of it.

I would only use a natural solution on children, like the saline solutions.
One other thing that helped especially as a child was a vaporizer with some vicks
in the cup holder part.

I think saline solution is good for sick kids. I always bathed boys at night so tuck en in bed clean, esp. dirty feet from play.
I think kids to have shower in morning would work well then after steam has loosed the boogas in nose is just blowing with tissue and having clean nose for day.
Maybe that's good way to ditch nose picking habbit without using any hygiene(not medicated) sprays that interfere with natural rythm.

Rinex and allergex never helped with flu, the clinic's really annoy me. My kids had green snotties every 2 weeks and I'm talking about toddlers not babies.
So I used saline and sticky brown cough syrup....helped.
The new sinus and cough syrup in one wasn't so effective from my experience.

I think saline solution is good for sick kids. I always bathed boys at night so tuck en in bed clean, esp. dirty feet from play.
I think kids to have shower in morning would work well then after steam has loosed the boogas in nose is just blowing with tissue and having clean nose for day.
Maybe that's good way to ditch nose picking habbit without using any hygiene(not medicated) sprays that interfere with natural rythm.

Rinex and allergex never helped with flu, the clinic's really annoy me. My kids had green snotties every 2 weeks and I'm talking about toddlers not babies.
So I used saline and sticky brown cough syrup....helped.
The new sinus and cough syrup in one wasn't so effective from my experience.

Teach your children to blow their noses and make sure they drink plenty of water to loosen up the stuff in their sinuses. I wouldn't put anything up their noses unless their pediatrician told me to do so.

My personal philosophy about when the kids should take a bath is that they need to bathe at night before they go to bed, and just wash their faces, etc. in the morning when they wake up. Germs get on the kids during the day and if they haven't bathed, then they take those germs to the bed, contaminate the bed, and sleep in that all night. If you bathe them in the morning and they then go to school or just go play, then once again they are being exposed to the day's germs and bring those germs back to their beds.

Taking a bath is also relaxing and will help them sleep, like reading a bedtime story every night. Children like routine and a known schedule. It makes them feel safe because they always know what to expect.

Anyway, that's just my personal opinion based on my experience with my children.

As pointed out by others, I also believe that a Saline Solution is the only really safe and simple treatment for such things. Otherwise if one must use medicated nasal drops or sprays, they best confine the use of them to no more than the duration of a cold or virus.

New Threads

Top Bottom