• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

My son got hurt at school

Kathy Thomas

Hi everyone, I need some help. My son was diagnosed with severe autism and he is also non verbal. He is about to turn 5 and he started the ecap program at school. There is one teacher and two para professionals and they are only allowed to have a maximum of 9 kids. The last time I checked there were only 6 kids in his class.

Last Friday I got a call from his nurse saying the para found blood in his underwear and wanted to ask if it was ok to check him so I said yes. Come to find out he had a large scratch down his right butt cheek going in towards his butt crack. No one knows how it happened, but I was told the para noticed it when he brought him into the bathroom at the end of the day.

I found out that the para takes multiple students into the bathroom at the same time to take turns going potty, but it’s a single bathroom with only one toilet. Is that normal for more than one child to be in a bathroom at a time? I was also told that the para was never alone with my son and my son has never been naked around this para but everyday this para undresses my son to put him in a pull up before getting on the bus so that’s obviously a lie.. the para also never writes down on the daily behavior chart when he takes my son to the bathroom but the other teachers do... aren’t they supposed to document these things since my son is non verbal?

I have a non-verbal daughter that has been through the school system. They would report injuries and when she bit somebody (usually a teacher). But we didn't get any reports apart from that. We didn't really expect any.

She is now out of school and at home. We occasionally find scratches, etc. during shower or toilet time. We locate and fix the problem.
Last Friday I got a call from his nurse saying the para found blood in his underwear and wanted to ask if it was ok to check him so I said yes. Come to find out he had a large scratch down his right butt cheek going in towards his butt crack. No one knows how it happened, but I was told the para noticed it when he brought him into the bathroom at the end of the day.
Have you seen the wound?
Were his underwear or pants cut or torn?
Are his fingernails too long?

Hi, thanks for replying. No his nails are not long and his pants and underwear are not torn. They usually write down all the activities he does in a day including bathroom breaks but for some reason one particular para never writes it down from 12-3 which is when he gets ready for the bus. He also brings multiple kids into the bathroom to sit on a chair while they take turns using the bathroom.

He says he’s never seen my son naked because he doesn’t pull his pants all the way down when peeing, he said he just pulls the front down... my son has never been able to do that, I know cuz I’ve tried. His other teachers say that he pulls his pants all the way down to his knees or ankles which is does at home.

Also that para gets him dressed into a pull up every day before the bus so he does see him naked. So there’s just been a lot of stories and that’s why I’m worried. I know kids get cuts and bruises, but this cut is long and kinda thick and there was a decent amount of blood in his underwear. He also came home and drew a picture of a guy with a bandaid on his head and told me “guy hurt guy hurt” so I’m just so confused

If you are worried, his doctor might better assess the source of his wound, but I wouldn't jump to any conclusions, just yet.

I actually took him to get checked out and they said it’s too large to be a finger nail and all the details that I have don’t sound good, they sent him home with no underwear and tried to throw the bloody ones away. He had three extra pairs of underwear at school so idk why they didn’t put another pair on him. The fact that the teachers keep changing their stories and not writing down important information that they’re supposed to keep record of isn’t good either. I’ll try to keep you updated. Thank you!

We occasionally find scratches, etc. during shower or toilet time. We locate and fix the problem.
The last two incidences were broken bed springs poking through her mattress. Using pliers, I bent the pointy ends back on themselves, like a "U." Problem solved.

Welcome to the forum Kathy.
I'm not a parent so I doubt I'd be a great deal of help, but I do appreciate what a difficult situation you're dealing with. The one thing I would suggest, if you haven't already done it, Is take a few clear photographs of the scratch just in case. Hopefully there is nothing to be worried about, but if it does turn out to be something you need to follow up then evidence like that, the doctor's opinion and the drawing of the guy with the band aid on his head may be useful.

Welcome to the forum Kathy.
I'm not a parent so I doubt I'd be a great deal of help, but I do appreciate what a difficult situation you're dealing with. The one thing I would suggest, if you haven't already done it, Is take a few clear photographs of the scratch just in case. Hopefully there is nothing to be worried about, but if it does turn out to be something you need to follow up then evidence like that, the doctor's opinion and the drawing of the guy with the band aid on his head may be useful.
Thanks! Yea I took pictures as soon as he came home and I also saved the picture he drew and went up to the school and retrieved the underwear. I appreciate everyone’s help!

Good to hear. I thought you might have, but people sometimes forget things like that when they're distressed. I'll keep an eye on this thread for any updates. I hope it all works out for him.

That it was on his rear end, is different than anywhere else. If it were my kid, I would launch a full investigation and get my kid out of there ASAP. I would homeschool if I had to. The amount of abuse toward autistics is making me want to scream. Obviously someone was rough with him in some capacity. Protect your child because no one else will!

Find out in the school who was wearing a bandaid on their head... just please for the love of Pete... do not ignore this thing... investigate

If his skin is scratched and bleeding but his pants aren’t torn then his jury happened with his pants down. Right? And his underpants would be down too.
Something isn’t right here and I don’t blame you for being concerned. Do you know any of the other parents so you can discuss concerns. You may not be the only one noticing a problem.

I agree with all these comments, but would add one thing. Check the bathroom. My first thought was perhaps your son was being lifted up and something scratched his bottom in the process. If there's nothing in the bathroom that could have done this, I'd start digging further.

I have to say that if there was a simple and obvious explanation such as having snagged against a sharp edged toilet roll holder or something, they likely would have noticed at the time and would have explained that already. I don't want to get the OP wound up or upset at this stage because we really don't know much, but what we do know doesn't add up particularly well.

If the para omitted this out of the norm it would be different also. But apparently she doesn't follow the rules of the day care and probably should be reprimanded and either start complying or lose her job. I'm not taking the seriousness out of your concern, I would be greatly concerned, too and would be watching like a hawk. The daycare I had my kids in had cameras in all the rooms and at any given time you could go in the office and watch your child. I think all daycares need cameras.

And this para is male. And it is a male, working with children, doesn’t follow rules regarding toileting and lies about seeing the child naked.
I tend towards being paranoid, or so everyone says in real life, but geeze, it wouldn’t be paranoid to at least say there are red flags.
Accidents happen, there is probably a perfectly innocent explanation, but now that they are changing the story it becomes not innocent.
I sort of remember daycare, kids get hit with anything that can be thrown or being slapped or bitten. But I don’t remember anything bleeding except noses.

New Threads

Top Bottom