• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

MY PARTNER JUST TOLD SOMEONE IM AUTISTIC WITHOUT MY CONSENT

JuniperBug

Rainbow Bird of Friendliness
I had an emotional meltdown at a restaurant and my partner got embarrassed and explained to the owner that this was happening because I’m autistic.

I told her it was notokay, I didn’t consent, and she can’t do that. Her response was “well I didn’t want him to think you were crazy.”

I’m so scared right now because I live in a country where I could be fired if my employers found out. She told a very well know restaurant owner who I know as an acquaintance but not a friend. I certainly don’t trust him.

I need support, advice, and would appreciate stories of what you have done if this has happened to you.

Have you ever been "outed" without consent? How did it affect you? How did you deal with it?

Thanks a bunch <3

Yeah, I've had family members tell other people I'm autistic, but I'm fine with that. A lot of them have also lived with or know other autistic people.

But no, I haven't have anyone have to explain I'm autistic, I think. Let alone in a situation like that. But I also don't work at the moment. And I also live in the UK which has firm laws in place to stop discrimination against people with disabilities. So I wouldn't say we are on the same playing field here in terms of significance of disclosure to others.

Yeah, I've had family members tell other people I'm autistic, but I'm fine with that. A lot of them have also lived with or know other autistic people.

But no, I haven't have anyone have to explain I'm autistic, I think. Let alone in a situation like that. But I also don't work at the moment. And I also live in the UK which has firm laws in place to stop discrimination against people with disabilities. So I wouldn't say we are on the same playing field here in terms of significance of disclosure to others.

I'm also in the UK, and also don't work so what @Southern Discomfort wrote applies to me too. My parents are dismissive of my diagnosis, so they wouldn't tell anyone I have AS. If I was in the same situation and my husband explained I has Asperger's, I wouldn't mind and I would actually prefer that rather than people thinking I was acting like a child or just causing a scene. However, as previously stated, even if I were working, I couldn't be fired in this country (as it stands at the moment anyway :rolleyes:) for being on the spectrum.

First of all, being "outed" is wrong, so that's something to deal with regarding the partner.

The person who was told might need to be approached to at least explain what was going on. That's what I would do, in any case.

If you were "crazy" would you be fired? Would that be preferable?

I would be very angery, too!!! Angry and upset. I had family tell others when I had troubles and the old DXs were not even accurate and STILL they persisit in telling and repeating them.

I just gave up. I am beat, I guess.

Again, I'm in the UK, so not sure where you are/what things are like. I'm "out" and haven't found it a problem beyond nonsensical remarks like, "But you don't look autistic" (WTF does that mean?). If anything, I find it easier to be "out", rather than as things were when i was young, being treated as weird, bullied, ostracised & c. I was finally diagnosed Aspie at 50.

I am someone who hates attention (to myself or someone with me) that creates a "scene" anywhere. I seem to have spent my life "putting out fires" created by others.

That being said, there are times when a degree of tact is often required, which might jeopardize your "silent" diagnosis. Of course, you two really should have discussed what to do if you were on the verge (or in) a meltdown. You should have plan(s) in place depending on the severity of the situation, including what to do/not do, and what to say/not say. If you haven't done this already, I suggest you do it -- either once, or on a situational-based level.

While meltdowns are common for many of us, they are NOT common for the majority of diners and servers who were witnessing it. Sometimes, when someone is 'in charge,' (such as your partner) it's up to them to "put out the fire" that is blazing around you.

Humans will often be far more understanding of difficult situations if they have the information needed to process the event. So, by your partner 'outing' you (which you didn't want) -- you may have been treated far better than someone who was hauled off by Police for making a scene.

If you have an issue, I'd speak with the restaurant owner (alone, and businesslike, not just catching a bit to eat). Explain your situation, apologize for what happened, and mention that you'd appreciate if he kept that information confidential. That way, he'll know how to react if it happens again at his establishment and he won't have a need to disclose to anyone else.

You can't "deny" anything about you -- especially if it is going to have an impact on how you act (or react) in public. It's fine when no one is around, but when there is a witness or crowd, people need facts.

For instance, if the Police were called, you (or your partner) would most likely have to explain to them what had happened. In the United States, drivers have access to special cards to hand police in case of an emergency. They vary in their wording, but I've included one.

You should also wear a medical alert bracelet that is backed up to a computer with all your information; if you had been transferred to the Police Station or a Hospital, they would need to know about your diagnosis, as well.

If there is anything about you that you don't want your partner to disclose, you need to have an open, honest, discussion. What would need to happen though (if it were me and you) is that you would have to give me SPECIFIC things to do -- and how to answer questions.

I've witnessed situations where I was torn between getting involved and letting the store handle it, until a parent (or someone else) 'took over,' briefly explained the situation, and dispersed the crowd. "Briefly," would include, "It's ok, he's autistic; we've got it covered."

If your diagnosis can cause you to lose your job, you need to figure all this out together BEFORE you venture out ANYWHERE that a meltdown or other event is even POSSIBLE.

Sometimes, the rights of others outweigh your rights of personal disclosure -- especially if it will keep you out of jail.

autism-cardjpg-0d82f68d6d9ef934.jpg

Last edited:
My mom used to do that and I was always mad. It's MY personal information that ONLY I have the right to give out unless otherwise stated.

By my mother, and I screamed at her in a massive not-meldown with words and all. I don't think she has told anyone since.

I am someone who hates attention (to myself or someone with me) that creates a "scene" anywhere. I seem to have spent my life "putting out fires" created by others.

That being said, there are times when a degree of tact is often required, which might jeopardize your "silent" diagnosis. Of course, you two really should have discussed what to do if you were on the verge (or in) a meltdown. You should have plan(s) in place depending on the severity of the situation, including what to do/not do, and what to say/not say. If you haven't done this already, I suggest you do it -- either once, or on a situational-based level.

While meltdowns are common for many of us, they are NOT common for the majority of diners and servers who were witnessing it. Sometimes, when someone is 'in charge,' (such as your partner) it's up to them to "put out the fire" that is blazing around you.

Humans will often be far more understanding of difficult situations if they have the information needed to process the event. So, by your partner 'outing' you (which you didn't want) -- you may have been treated far better than someone who was hauled off by Police for making a scene.

If you have an issue, I'd speak with the restaurant owner (alone, and businesslike, not just catching a bit to eat). Explain your situation, apologize for what happened, and mention that you'd appreciate if he kept that information confidential. That way, he'll know how to react if it happens again at his establishment and he won't have a need to disclose to anyone else.

You can't "deny" anything about you -- especially if it is going to have an impact on how you act (or react) in public. It's fine when no one is around, but when there is a witness or crowd, people need facts.

For instance, if the Police were called, you (or your partner) would most likely have to explain to them what had happened. In the United States, drivers have access to special cards to hand police in case of an emergency. They vary in their wording, but I've included one.

You should also wear a medical alert bracelet that is backed up to a computer with all your information; if you had been transferred to the Police Station or a Hospital, they would need to know about your diagnosis, as well.

If there is anything about you that you don't want your partner to disclose, you need to have an open, honest, discussion. What would need to happen though (if it were me and you) is that you would have to give me SPECIFIC things to do -- and how to answer questions.

I've witnessed situations where I was torn between getting involved and letting the store handle it, until a parent (or someone else) 'took over,' briefly explained the situation, and dispersed the crowd. "Briefly," would include, "It's ok, he's autistic; we've got it covered."

If your diagnosis can cause you to lose your job, you need to figure all this out together BEFORE you venture out ANYWHERE that a meltdown or other event is even POSSIBLE.

Sometimes, the rights of others outweigh your rights of personal disclosure -- especially if it will keep you out of jail.

Good counsel. Well written. Well thought out. Thank you.

Oh gosh, I feel for you! That horrible feeling that you've lost control of the situation (while in the restaurant BEFORE the meltdown) then loss of control when your partner 'outed' you on top of that. I would totally be at home in the bottom of my bed crying right about now! Once you're feeling more in control it might really be beneficial to talk first to your partner about how you felt doubly humiliated by that event and find a plan for the two of you for next time the situation arises. Do you have any warning symptoms that a meltdown is close? Was there any way you two could've left if either of you saw your overwhelmed feelings surfacing? If you have a plan together you will not only feel more in control but you two will be on the same team.
When you feel unified and feeling brave enough it might be worth you both approaching the restaurant owner. With your partner for support you'd then have an opportunity to explain that you're really sorry (especially if your behavior was disruptive to others) and that you'd appreciate some discretion about what happened as you're worried it might affect your work. Chances are they would be understanding and supportive and you'll be able to leave with your head held high.
Try to understand that your partner wasn't trying to hurt you or embarrass you. Any relationship will have things that need to be talked through to work out how to tackle them as a couple. If you two can form a plan for different scenarios you will be stronger as a team. If you give your partner ideas about what the best response would be, I'm sure she would appreciate that too! Sounds to me like she just had no idea what to say when she was approached, as in that moment she couldn't talk to you about it.
Hang in there, regroup, breathe. You got this. :)

I would be very angery, too!!! Angry and upset. I had family tell others when I had troubles and the old DXs were not even accurate and STILL they persisit in telling and repeating them.

I just gave up. I am beat, I guess.
Labels are like guns; they can be lethal in the wrong hands.
It is important for us to always remember that we are real people with real feelings and emotions. We may be different from NTs in some ways but we should not ever begin limiting our potential based on a label. Know yourself--Be yourself.

Again, I'm in the UK, so not sure where you are/what things are like. I'm "out" and haven't found it a problem beyond nonsensical remarks like, "But you don't look autistic" (WTF does that mean?). If anything, I find it easier to be "out", rather than as things were when i was young, being treated as weird, bullied, ostracised & c. I was finally diagnosed Aspie at 50.
I would love to be out but my work contract is very clear that I could be direst for any psychiatric diagnosis including something as common as depression and anxiety (which I also have).

I live in Taiwan and there's no ADA or anything that can protect me.

Thank you for this well thought out response.

I think such a card would be very helpful. Perhaps I could make a custom one asking for discression...I could use that for hospitals and during meltdowns. I could give some to my partner to give to people instead of saying something unpredictable.

I sincerely hope I wouldn't be ina polic esituation because my meltdowns are never violent, especially not to others. This time is was just hard crying and the inability to talk.

I feel like I have more options now. Thank you sincerely <3

So many thoughtful responses here!! :) JuniperBug describes one difficult situation that has to many variables to consider. Each of us may weight each of these variables differently according to our own personality, life situation, own unique manifestation of autism-spectrum, and where we are on own path of accepting and living openly with it.
There is principle, pride, acceptance, and even practicality. Many many people treat a person as "different" if they know one is an Autism-Spectum person. People make snap-judgements, they can't get to know who you really are at your local store or favorite restaurant, so you might become a lable. Once it is said, it never can be taken back either.
On one hand I don't want to be known as that Autistic guy. But on the other hand I don't want people thinking that I am a NT person who is strange, aloof, antisocial, etc. Not easy.

It is difficult for me to pass judgement on the JuniperBug's partner in this story. Perhaps JuniperBug's Metldown was not disrupting anyone and just ruining her partner's night out-and her partner was acting a bit passive-aggressive.
But I feel for JuniperBug because that is personal and not be taken back. We tend to want to do things in very specific ways and disrupted plans are much more stressful for us. Further, social things are way harder. Coming out a biggy for us. Can you imagine to have that dropped like a bomb-not on your own terms, not in your own way, not when you are ready!!?? The only advice, I can think of JuniperBug, is to make sure you engage in a bit more of the activities that make your feel better. Also tell yourself not to get trapped down the hole of catastrophizing--something that I know very well. And you are still you. It does not change who you actually are. Hang in there!!

Last edited:
..., even if I were working, I couldn't be fired in this country (as it stands at the moment anyway :rolleyes:) for being on the spectrum.
You can't be fired for being autistic in America, either. They have to (and often will) make up another reason for firing you, since most employment is "at-will," anyway.

Even if one had a legal defense available, most fired people can't sustain a lengthy court battle, while not earning rent or grocery money.

You can't be fired for being autistic in America, either. They have to (and often will) make up another reason for firing you, since most employment is "at-will," anyway.

Even if one had a legal defense available, most fired people can't sustain a lengthy court battle, while not earning rent or grocery money.

Ahhh, I see. Very much the same as here then really. They can't discriminate against someone for having a disability (whether applying for a job or already in one) but they will usually find another reason to fire/not employ you. @VenomousAlbino has had this issue when applying for jobs due to his eyesight.

Yeah, I was startled to discover that while I have what US society considers a disability, I also do not qualify for any protections or help because of it.

They can't discriminate against someone for having a disability (whether applying for a job or already in one) but they will usually find another reason to fire/not employ you.

Precisely. It's a classic method of side-skirting discrimination by ageism in particular as well. Just find another reason that doesn't reflect some kind of legislative "protection" and voila. Where the doctrine of "at-will employment" prevails.

Though while some societies may be hypocritical in such a manner about these issues, it's quite alarming to realize there are other societies, cultures and legal environments which may openly discriminate against people for various reasons. Potentially inadvertently putting people at risk. Worst still is that the person who "outs" someone may not have a clue about the potential consequences.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom