• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Musical artists I can't stand.

BrokenBoy

戯言使い(Nonsense User)
I love music. I also really love insulting music I don't like. It makes me feel good. It's like a mental nectar of love. In this thread, I shall mention musical artists I dislike or even despise and exposit and clarify where my distaste comes from.

First, I shall begin with The Beatles. I've always had a bad impression of the band given the affection given to them by normies and hippies, the latter group I really despise for antagonizing the veterans returning from the Vietnam war who were dealing with flashbacks. It's the definition of victim-blaming.

That aside, I finally started to listening to a bit of their music and it sounds horrible. I heard the first three tracks of Sgt. Peppers and it was absolutely sappy garbage. The vocals were obnoxious and it had a happy tone that felt very forced.

The Beatles have got to be the most overrated artists in history. I don't hate their music, but I am so sick of all the praise they get from the most basic of music listeners. That said, I do like Helter Skelter (even though many later artists would refine the sound featured on that song).

The artist that came to mind for me as soon as I saw this thread was Motley Crue. I cannot stand the way Vince Neil sings, and he's only gotten worse over time. There's a clip floating around of a live show they did a few years ago, and his already wretched singing voice is just laughable. I actually listened to the one Crue album that didn't have him on it, and while it's not a great album, John Corabi blows Vince out of the water.

So l guess l am going to say thank you so much for --Nowhere Man--. I love the words, and the words are showcased by the melody. I sometimes listen to words first, and if that resonates, then l am on board. You maybe more like someone who hears the music first before the words. John Lennon actually wrote it but wasn't given the credit.

I listen to very different types of music, so it's hard to hate music.

But not everyone likes the Beatlles. I tend to like artists as they start out, but as their sound becomes more commercial and less original, l lose interest. Other artists go thru different phases and become skilled and more mature with life experiences and composing, and their musical craft evolves to new heights.

Last edited:
Try listening to Seth Putnam's band, the name I will not utter here. He goes through the trouble of writing these offensive lyrics and then he screams them in a way that nobody can understand what he is saying which defeats the purpose of the offensive lyrics to begin with.

Funny, because all the beloved singers of old, I really have the opposite opinion on and even if I like an artist's music, if their politics are such that I strongly disagree on and their behaviour, then I won't listen to their music and delete completely from my phone.

I now listen to Kpop (Korean music) and my faith's spiritual music.

I would have to say Twisted Sister. I remember they were popular when I was in high school. I thought that they were too childish - like a heavy metal band on Sesame Street.

Try listening to Seth Putnam's band, the name I will not utter here. He goes through the trouble of writing these offensive lyrics and then he screams them in a way that nobody can understand what he is saying which defeats the purpose of the offensive lyrics to begin with.
I love them, but I'm also an immature teenager on the inside sometimes. Picnic Of Love is also hilarious

They're definitely a horrible comedy act for weirdos though. 311 Sucks makes me laugh every time

Country music. I just don't get it. Some of it's not too bad on the ears...but vast majority is(meh)
Death metal. Where they shred guitars and rant nonsensically and unintelligible. (dumb)
Anything modern, pop, auto-tuned to death, ( zoomer crap.)
Genre abominations, with terrible juxtapositions and whiny lyrics (e.g. emo rap, "XXXTentacion, Juice Wrld, and Lil Peep " ETC)
In fact throw entire mainstream rap music post 2005 into that. (If their name is prefaced by Lil'... it's a 90% certainty they suck.)
White rappers. (Vanilla ice, marky mark, machine gun kelly, beasties, etc everyone of them. ..I give a pass to Marshall, because he was atleast good once. Long ago.)
Boy bands (Beatles are good, they are pioneers, and more importantly; ENGLISH LEGENDS.) I'm talking Nysnc, backstreet boys, menudo, all that....terrible, artificial, I can't TAKE THAT, Simon cowell created nonsense.
Girl groups (spice girls I give a pass. Cause they were hot, cheeky, and didn't take them self seriously...)
Abba. I just don't get it. Sure it's..catchy. But uhh no. This is not what I would ever listen to on my own free will.
Rick astley.
Anything they would play at quantanomo bay as a torture device.

And..

I'm sure there is more....Cant think right now. Ya know, If you didn't like something, you're gonna try to block it out. So excuse me if I missed anything out.

As a musician, especially a musician in a niche genre, and someone who understands how music production works, I have some hot takes on this subject.

I agree with pretty much everything @Slim Jim said. And I was afraid to admit that I think white rappers are terrible lol but at least someone else said it.

I hate most pop music too. I think almost everything on the radio (and YouTube) post-2010s is total crap. I was NEVER a fan of Justin Bieber or Ariana Grande or Taylor Swift.
I think their music is produced with little effort and little variation in style to cater to the masses. And now literally anyone can post a viral song on tiktok or whatever and get catapulted to undeserved stardom without actually understanding how to make quality music or write intelligent lyrics.

Someone will probably hate me for this but I think artists like Justin Bieber, and mumble rappers, and all those copy-paste Gen Z white girl singers with identical voices are the biggest affront to modern music.

And boy/bands girl groups are pretty awful. I was never on the One Direction bandwagon either (and I was the only girl in high school and college who didn’t have a crush on them lol.) I don’t know if there are currently any boy bands around but I unfortunately came across Little Mix a while ago. Yuck
I did like the Backstreet Boys and NSync as a kid tho :tearsofjoy:

I don’t like music that’s all profanity. So that rules out most rap.
I feel like country music uses the same tropes all the time and a lot of country songs sound identical to me, and since rap and country are all anyone listens to where I live, I’m tired of them lol.

I mostly listen to electronic music, folk music, and foreign music, and occasionally metal. And some other niche genres that don’t have a definitive label.
I feel like America has done a lot of damage to music quality overall, in recent years.

Pretty much everything that I hear come out of a radio or TV.

I swear, there are exactly 3 things that a given song can be about:

1. Love
2. Relationships
3. How great some guy's girlfriend is

And I just... uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh

Someone could sing about hubcaps and it'd be more interesting and tolerable to me.

As a result, if I've got music on in the car or whatever, it generally has no lyrics at all. Usually a soundtrack from something.

All I know is that radio and MTV during my childhood almost convinced me I wasn't into music despite it now being my primary hobby. Says enough. I don't hold any hate for music I don't like, but music asks for your time and if I can tell how the whole piece is gonna go 10 seconds in because of how formulaic and genre-stuck it is then you probably won't catch me sitting through it if I can help it.

My taste for music is independent from artists, musicians, and genres. I like music and songs regardless of who or what makes it. Doesn't matter if it's mainstream or not, generic or unique. I don't discriminate as long as I jive with what I hear. Quite often I'll hear a song or two I like from an artist and then dislike the rest.

Will agree that too many songs are about love and relationships though. Which I think contributes to an unhealthy societal obsession about finding the ideal.

It's not so much the artists I can't stand. It's the hype that is given to what are, essentially, people who cannot sing, dance or play a musical instrument. They just conform to what the media considers to be 'attractive' who resort to autotune to make themselves sound 'good' and I use 'good' in a very loose sense.

Few of the 3000+ bookmarked tracks I have are from charting mainstream artists. Those that are in there (with multiple tracks) are often electronic music from the likes of The Chemical Brothers, Deadmau5, Royksopp and a few others.

I've never liked much hip hop or country. Of course there are always technicalities and exceptions, but most of it is just garbage to my ears. Most things on the radio make me feel kind of sick to my stomach too. More power to those who like things that are easily-accessible though, not having to dig around for new music is probably awesome.

I'm also a dork though because I like 99% of the metal, hardcore and electronic that I check out, so I guess I'm just one of those people

Pretty much everything that I hear come out of a radio or TV.

I swear, there are exactly 3 things that a given song can be about:

1. Love
2. Relationships
3. How great some guy's girlfriend is

And I just... uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh

Someone could sing about hubcaps and it'd be more interesting and tolerable to me.

As a result, if I've got music on in the car or whatever, it generally has no lyrics at all. Usually a soundtrack from something.
Is this tolerable?

AC is literally one of my favorite bands. Seth Putnam is also one of my favorite singers and he's also my idol and role model. IRL I even copy his habit of describing things he doesn't like as "gay". Though people tend to get confused when I do this at first, saying stuff like, "Wait, but aren't you gay?" which I find amusing.

But yeah, AC makes some great tunes. I bought their 1999 album, It Just Gets Worse on Amazon earlier this year. It's one of my favorite albums of all time. Really great music.

I once thought about making a topic about how much I love them.

In junior high PE they had a playlist of about 25 songs. Imagine the slowest, most boring, least exercizey hits of the 2010s. It's like they weren't allowed to tell us PE's not really about exercise but they still wanted us to know.

They played just those songs 35 minutes a day for an entire school year. I hate everyone on that playlist for life but the Chainsmokers have a special place in hell waiting for them.

Historical perspective: Irving Kaufman is overrated, and so is Caruso when he tried to sing in English like on the 1918 recording of "Over There" which he did to fundraise for the war effort. You're Caruso, dammit, make operatic stuff. Besides, Giovanni Martinelli had a smoother voice and people who cover their ears when I put on a Caruso record, will often approve of Martinelli's singing.

OK, a tangent on Caruso.

My good man:

You know your voice was catapulted to top-of-the-heap of operatic tenors because of the limitations of recording technology. You chain-smoked cigarettes and sang opera as if you were freaking immortal or something. But due to your exclusive contract with Victor Talking Machine out of Camden, you might have single-throatedly held back the development of sound recording technology. The same soundbox, the "Exhibition," that they were fitting onto primitive gramophones in 1903--it stayed on there until 1918 when the No. 2 replaced it on high-end models.

Now look what other companies were achieving at that time. There were experiements with the World Record Controller to eliminate inner-groove distortion. Thomas Edison had commercialized linear tracking, unbreakable discs, and a much higher standard of fidelity in 1912 with the expensive but exquisite Diamond Disc Phonograph. Inventors all over America had developed records that wouldn't break, that didn't need a new single-use disposable needle, that would not wear out, phonographs with electric motors, remote control volume knobs, automatic changers for cylinder records--

Meanwhile at Victor, the "Victrola" has looked pretty much the same from about 1906 to 1924, the commercial format is locked into using a disposable needle, linear tracking won't happen until the 1980s, the same soundbox from 1903 is showing up on some machines until 1927--and you still have to crank-start the thing a la Ford car or wringer washer. They even all kinda look the same.

And your records were still flooding the catalog even though, in 1921, on stage at the Met, you had the commendable decency to pop your clogs. If there was one man who could stop the progress of technology by simply singing loudly enough, and boldly enough, to scratch your way into history--Yeah buddy that was definitely you, but you know the No. 4 soundbox was developed in 1914 and we didn't get it commercially released until 1925, making it prohibitively expensive to buy and a pain in the arse to find? Do you know how nice it'd be to have gotten that on my 1914 Victrola--a pickup that would give it a good sound forever, and keep it from going obsolete when the electric recording came out? But between you hacking through the Lucia sextet and the engineering department thinking the 1903 Exhibition was an adequate soundbox for Caruso records--Guess what? My record player sounds like 1903 because it has a pickup on it 119 years out of date.

Way to go buddy.

Way to freakin' go.

It would be NICE to be able to find more instrumental tracks on 78 but between getting a bunch of nouveau-riche Midwesterners into opera, and then neutering the development of the record player to where it really sounded OK for your voice and not a lot of other people, man, classical records from the 1910s and '20s are darned hard to find. I don't know if you meant it this way--Probably not--but it's sure enough how it turned out.

There’s quite a few artists that I absolutely loathe and will immediately turn off the radio is they pop up or shove my fingers in my ears and refuse to pull them out until the offending song is over. I really hate Phil Collins because 99% of his songs sound exactly the same, he ruined the atmosphere of Tarzan by singing almost every single song except for the one given to Rosie O’Donnell which wasn’t even actual singing, and he always gives off this vibe that he thinks he’s the greatest musician ever and that everyone should worship the ground he walks on. He also only has two songs that are actually good. Hate Salt N Peppa, Justin Bieber, and Psy. And I absolutely hate quite a few rappers.

Music is art. Art is inherently subjective in most any democratic society. Music I don't like, I simply don't listen to. Why waste time elaborating on music one doesn't want to listen to?

Keep it on a positive note...such as a subjective assessment of the best musical artists. That said, it's interesting to see Rolling Stone magazine's uptake of the greatest of all time musical artists. But then their metrics of subjectively promoting music appreciation is their profession- not mine, and probably not yours either.

I'm guessing that if the planet survives another 200 years, they'll still be talking about the Beatles, as well as Mozart and Beethoven, who probably will still have their critics, despite an ability to withstand the test of time.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom