• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Moving Forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brent

Administrator
Howdy

In the near future I will have a test site up for those who would like to give feedback on the direction of AspiesCentral. Our current forum software is a bit dated and with bugs. I'd like us to move to a new software called xenForo. I will be setting up a password protected test site for you to log in to and provide me feedback with what you like and dislike about it. If you would be interested in doing this simply reply to this thread and I will contact you when the test site is ready. :)

I'll want to check it out and if possible chip in my 2 cents with feedback.

I'm just a bit in the middle of what's pretty much "a new forum" or a new lay out as such. It might cause some distress to a lot of folks... I mean, we're aspies, and that's one of those things, that quite often upsets (some of) us.

But I guess for a test run it wouldn't hurt at all. I doubt it'll be something terrible at the end. As long as AC as it is now keeps up and running for the time being and slowly people might get used to and migrate to a new site it might just work out :)

I'll want to check it out and if possible chip in my 2 cents with feedback.

I'm just a bit in the middle of what's pretty much "a new forum" or a new lay out as such. It might cause some distress to a lot of folks... I mean, we're aspies, and that's one of those things, that quite often upsets (some of) us.

But I guess for a test run it wouldn't hurt at all. I doubt it'll be something terrible at the end. As long as AC as it is now keeps up and running for the time being and slowly people might get used to and migrate to a new site it might just work out :)

Does this have anything to do with SMF ? Just wondering.

Thanks for sharing, Brent. The security issues look pretty good overall...always my biggest concern.

SMF, King. "Simple Machines Forum".

Ah, see, I have zero idea about forum software and all. I'm more of an end user and just would like a nice and easy to use interface. AC is fine that way I think. It's when functionality changes a lot, that's where some members might get all stressed out because it's "different". It's that routine thing common with us aspies I guess.

Ah, see, I have zero idea about forum software and all. I'm more of an end user and just would like a nice and easy to use interface. AC is fine that way I think. It's when functionality changes a lot, that's where some members might get all stressed out because it's "different". It's that routine thing common with us aspies I guess.

As a fellow Aspie, guilty as charged. But sometimes new can be good.

I do think that change can happen but just be aware that aspies tend to need time to adjust to change. I would really like to suggest that if there is any future downtimes or needing of changes that will shut the forum down that someone posts it ahead of time so that we have the ability to adjust nad the length of the downtime too. I know that can hard on people don't understand that routine is a key for us and prevents us from having meltdowns.

The recent downtimes kinda just happened, I don't think the admins knew that up front.

If AC will run on new software, then yes... it's fair to tell there will be downtimes upfront. But that's why Brent (and I'm quite sure he can explain this better himself) said "I will be setting up a password protected test site" emphasis on test site. I'm quite sure it will not be a site instead of AC for the time being.

Hello all.

So long as the forum is mainly in Crimson and White (a visual contrast to the Blue and Orange team that stole that national title, argh)*, I shall support any sort of AC :)

* - Actually, the colors don't matter, the content do, and I have confidence AC will have wonderful content and members after the move :)

Not too sure if I like this idea very much but it would be something I would like to try out, a new challenge for a new forum software. Something to get used to I guess?

Also bare in mind, there is a plug-in that is used here that prevents spammers from registering and posting on Aspies Central but the question is, does xenForo have that feature to prevent that from happening?

Last edited:
Not too sure if I like this idea very much but it would be something I would like to try out, a new challenge for a new forum software. Something to get used to I guess?

Also bare in mind, there is a plug-in that is used here that prevents spammers from registering and posting on Aspies Central but the question is, does xenForo have that feature to prevent that from happening?

xenForo has the best spam prevention of any software.

If its done right and you can get the current theme working on xenforo then I will support it 100%. xenForo is good software, vBulletin has went downhill ever since Internet Brands took them over a few years back. I think the main concern for everyone is that the site migrates flawlessly, there's minimum downtime and no drastic changes. A tall order.

I have two cents I would like to chuck in here, it is all well and good for us to suggest that things stay the same but in truth we all know they cannot.

First thing is that when you sell somebody something, unless it is first stated as part of a legally binding contract, you simply cannot stipulate what they do with it after the sale IE; you can buy my car if you only drive it on Sundays.

The only thing anybody needs to understand is the changes will happen in due course, this site is becoming part of a larger collective and so now must adhere to certain similarities as its sibling sites to make it less difficult to run as part of a group. While Brent is not an Aspie nor is he a bad guy, he wants to provide a good site for everybody here that works the same way for him as his other sites.

This is not unreasonable of him and if I am honest I am kind of sick of how buggy this site is since it "moved" anyway, I now have more regular loss of posts, VM's and PM's I have to retype, I have to refresh the page almost every time I change pages because it doesn't come out right, that is when I don't get the "ERROR The requested URL could not be retrieved" page.

(What the hell is a Zero Sized Reply anyway, for it to have noticed there was a reply it must have had a size greater than nothing or it couldn't exist to not be noticed).

As Aspies we have all worked out in life by now that nothing much ever goes the way we want it to, but I am sure the changes will be gradual and therefore slightly less painful.

PS; is anybody else noticing how weird it is that Droopy is in green now LOL

Hmmm, I'd like to give it a go. Im totally happy with what we have at the moment. Perhaps the only thing would be more than one live chat facility? Shoutbox is great, but it'd be fun to have chat room or private/group chats perhaps? Im just thinking of the special interest group section which would benefit from live chats....

Dont ask for much do I? :D

First thing is that when you sell somebody something, unless it is first stated as part of a legally binding contract, you simply cannot stipulate what they do with it after the sale IE; you can buy my car if you only drive it on Sundays.

I am not telling what Brent should do with the forums but merely providing my input. If AC gets moved to different forum software then that is fine with me. I just want things to go smoothly and for the members to be happy. The site is for Brent to do what he wants with, absolutely.

Hmmm, I'd like to give it a go. Im totally happy with what we have at the moment. Perhaps the only thing would be more than one live chat facility? Shoutbox is great, but it'd be fun to have chat room or private/group chats perhaps? Im just thinking of the special interest group section which would benefit from live chats....

Dont ask for much do I? :D

There was a private chat feature (nearly identical to Facebook chat) on AC at one point but it didn't seem to get used much. The other problem is that the more shoutboxes and chatrooms there are then the less activity and discussion takes place on the actual forums. That is usually what seems to happen.

Yeah I had a think about that later after I couldn't change it, I did seem like I was having a go at you droopy, my apologies, I was speaking to the site to say that if there wasn't an agreement otherwise then it is inevitable that the site will change under new management.
It is nice you are still around for a while though, I think it does members good to see you and superboyian still floating about the place as it undergoes its facelift, familiar faces, stable presence, that sort of thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom