• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Madness of shorts in winter

Aspergers_Aspie

Where I live in Edinburgh in Scotland it has reached minus 6 that I am aware of maybe even colder, other parts are generally colder like the Highlands. In Edinburgh I see so many guys in shorts. I agree it is mad but I prefer the word stupid! As you will see in this story:-
Link to news story

How can this be stupid if you don’t know why they’re doing it? I don’t understand why what other people wear would bother you so much.

I wonder if these Herald readers are equally disturbed by
females wearing skirts of a similar length, in the winter.

I often wear long sleeves in the summer.
Wonder if that bothers people.

The only “negative” thought I’d have about that would be “I hope they’re not freezing.” I definitely wouldn’t jump to complaining or making fun of them.

Ok.

#1 - that's a letter from a single Herald reader. Not an editorial, not a researched article, just a single letter that has been selected from (all) those received at a time when most people have had time off work, and likely to be spending less time writing letters to papers.
#2 - I'm a short wearer in all but the coldest conditions. i dont' feel the cold in my legs, when commuter cyclign in teh leak district then -4 deg c was the switch to longs as my knees did ache below that.
#3 - when running/hiking in the cold and wet then I find trousers just hold the cold and wet, take ages to dry. The postie in the picture is an example of a someone who is out for a full day, moving and so creating heat in the legs from walking, and so there is a practical nature. Indeed in scotland the Kilt came about exactly because of this, with the lower leg walking through the bracken and the kilt keeping the wearer warm above the knee.
#4 - If people are distracted and looking at my legs/ankles then they aren't looking at my face, so I'm comfortable with that.

There is a real issue of teenage/young 20s girls in Edinburgh/Glasgow/Newcastle especially getting hypothermia due to cold weather and the symptoms being confused with them being drunk. So I do get the concern.

I will never understand why you read any of this stuff. I mean good grief, the back of a box of crackers has more useful info on it than most news sites. More trustworthy, too.

And this one isnt even news, it's a letter written by someone who clearly had nothing else to do that day. A letter about something that doesnt even affect him, which just makes this even more ridiculous.

What conceivable purpose does this serve? Other than getting you to their site to view ads and give them those sweet, sweet clicks, that is.

Hmmm. I don't think it's odd or unusual to wear shorts in the winter. I know people here who do that all winter long. (Although, I'm pretty sure the person I'm thinking of does put on pants when we run into the 30, 40, and 60 below windchills (F) we can get.

When I was a girl, my brother and I would dash out into the snow barefoot, in shorts, and have a snowball fight until we were bright pink, then dash back in for a cup of cocoa. It was a ton of fun!

A bloke abused me one day for not wearing a hat in the snow. I had short hair back then and once it frosted up and formed a crust on my head it was very warm, looked a little like a white helmet. But I was very fit and very active and I had a very high metabolism, I was plenty warm enough. Also, hats are dangerous when skiing between trees, you don't notice branches that can hit you in the head.

Where I live in Edinburgh in Scotland it has reached minus 6 that I am aware of maybe even colder, other parts are generally colder like the Highlands. In Edinburgh I see so many guys in shorts. I agree it is mad but I prefer the word stupid! As you will see in this story:-
Link to news story
I generally switch back to shorts when the temperature hits -5C and I'm known to wear shorts and a t-shirt when it's 3C or above. Keep in mind that I can go for walks in -40C if my cabin fever gets bad enough (definitely not in shorts at those temps). Mild cold weather doesn't bother me much. (I'm Canadian.)

I used to wear shorts when it was 0°C and a bit below, but since I've lost a lot of weight I can't do that now. I get too cold a lot easier now.

A bloke abused me one day for not wearing a hat in the snow. I had short hair back then and once it frosted up and formed a crust on my head it was very warm, looked a little like a white helmet. But I was very fit and very active and I had a very high metabolism, I was plenty warm enough. Also, hats are dangerous when skiing between trees, you don't notice branches that can hit you in the head.
LOL!

Once I realized that hair washing and bathing is something one needs to do more than once a week, I'd wash my hair in the morning, and by the time I caught the bus, it would be frozen solid. -20C Michigan winter. By the time I got to school it would be freeze dried.

You're right about hats with brims. Very easy to whack your head if there are low obstructions around. The bill or brim obstructs your upper peripheral vision. OTOH, it keeps the sun from your eyes and that's important too.

Mad you say? How about the Great Canadian Kilt Skate, fast becoming an annual tradition :p

Kilt Skate 01.jpg

I find it a little odd, but the people doing it are usually exercising. So I shouldn't really judge them too harshly.

Ed

Link to news story
Most people wearing shorts are working out. There’s also fashion winter shorts that are made from thick material and you can wear them with tights — I do the same.

I wouldn’t really judge what people are choosing to wear. If it’s not bothering them, why would it bother me?

I do wonder at times how people can wear so little clothes in the middle of winter. I see people with just a shirt when I'm wearing 3 layers of clothes and sometimes they're wearing just sandals, and I'm like 'how is this guy not freezing?'

But aside from the shock factor it does not bother me. If they feel comfortable then they feel comfortable. Once I walk past them I don't feel the need to bother about it anymore .

Something I see pretty much every winter, guys in shorts and sandals in January. It can reach -40° Fahrenheit here. Yet if it is 20° after a blizzard, I'll see at least one guy out in shorts and sandals shoveling their drive way when I take Rue for a walk.

Most of the time it is the younger age demographics one sees doing this. Middle school to college age.

New Threads

Top Bottom