• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Madness of shorts in winter

Something I see pretty much every winter, guys in shorts and sandals in January. It can reach -40° Fahrenheit here. Yet if it is 20° after a blizzard, I'll see at least one guy out in shorts and sandals shoveling their drive way when I take Rue for a walk.

Most of the time it is the younger age demographics one sees doing this. Middle school to college age.
They have high metabolisms. My daughter married a guy who wears sandals in the snow. He can devour huge amounts of food and it just burns off. Lot of children and teenagers are that way too.

That guy is probably not cold at all. (Experience speaking here. ;)) You'd be amazed at how much heat your body generates when it works. Adrenalin also causes you to not notice cold. As soon as he stops moving, that's when he'll notice the cold.

Yeah and I have skied naked and the cold isn't the problem. The problem is falling.. you do not want to fall naked on skis, sliding down a hill... :) I slid down a loong icy hill and it was not fun. Not fun at all.

Last edited:
Yeah and I have skied naked and the cold isn't the problem. The problem is falling.. you do not want to fall naked on skis, sliding down a hill... :) I slid down a loong icy hill and it was not fun. Not fun at all.
Oh gosh! What a memory! May not have been fun, but I would still treasure it! Today's pain can become tomorrow's humor.

I was on a nude hike up in the mountains once. Walked several miles in the mountains and didn't get back until sunset. Didn't even feel it as the day rapidly got colder. Got back to the trailhead, dressed, and climbed into the car. When I switched on the ignition, the car thermometer said it was 38F. That's 3.3C.

Oh gosh! What a memory! May not have been fun, but I would still treasure it! Today's pain can become tomorrow's humor.

I was 20, I wish I had it on video, 9 drunk naked guys going down a hill on skis. It was a "hold our beers and watch this!" moment. :D

I wouldn't do it myself but where I'm from it's a sight fairly often seen of men wearing shorts in winter when it's at or around freezing temperatures. Not always, but often I've noticed it's men that are overweight. Perhaps part of the reason they prefer shorts in cold weather is that they feel too hot otherwise. Who knows. I've never asked any of them since it's their business and not mine. Also, like others have said, unless their actions end up requiring the assistance of others (e.g. "My legs are frostbitten. Call an ambulance."), who should care?

I'm generally against men wearing shorts at all where the function of whatever they're doing doesn't incentivise them being worn; swimming, excercise or sport. It's just madness to be wearing shorts in public in the winter.

I'm generally against men wearing shorts at all where the function of whatever they're doing doesn't incentivise them being worn; swimming, excercise or sport. It's just madness to be wearing shorts in public in the winter.
I wonder why.

I was 20, I wish I had it on video, 9 drunk naked guys going down a hill on skis
The logistics of this are messing with my head. Where were your clothes? Did you have clothing to put on at the end of the run? Were there dares or glory involved somehow? Just another fun night out in Norway? I have so many questions. And also, what thread would you post it in here?

The logistics of this are messing with my head. Where were your clothes? Did you have clothing to put on at the end of the run? Were there dares or glory involved somehow? Just another fun night out in Norway? I have so many questions. And also, what thread would you post it in here?

What thread would I post it in... there is an "Outdoors" section here on the forum, I'm sure there is a "naked skiing" thread there. ;)

It was just one of those silly things 20 year old guys do. You know how they are, a group of drunk 20 year olds will do stupid things. It was saturday night at a ski resort, we were in an apartment right next to the ski slopes. Some of us worked there. I think someone dared someone, or we tried to impress some girls, I'm not sure exactly what happened but there was some naked skiing going on.

I wonder why.

If you're wondering about my assertion that men shouldn't wear shorts, I'm generally Aristotelian in the way I view the world. Every form has a Telos or ultimate purpose. I try to keep everything in its place so shorts on men outside of the Telos of shorts, I don't find it proper. People can do as they please, I just don't like it or wear them without a functional reason.

If you're wondering about my assertion that men shouldn't wear shorts, I'm generally Aristotelian in the way I view the world. Every form has a Telos or ultimate purpose. I try to keep everything in its place so shorts on men outside of the Telos of shorts, I don't find it proper. People can do as they please, I just don't like it or wear them without a functional reason.
Interesting. I have a different perspective, but thank you for taking the time to elucidate yours.

I go outside in winter without a coat, gloves, and socks, all the time. Quite often I wear a short sleeved shirt. I even do bare feet on the ground if I just have to put out the trash. It's -10 here right now and I'm about to shovel snow with boots, bare feet, and a tshirt. Bare hands too. I don't really feel temperatures but I also hate the sensory of winter clothes.

It's odd to me that so many people comment, including my own family. Obviously I'd wear a coat if I really felt cold.

I wonder if these Herald readers are equally disturbed by
females wearing skirts of a similar length, in the winter.
When I wintered in New Mexico ski country one year, women wore warm tights with their skirts.
If I can hike naked across San Francisco in rain in 15C weather, shorts in the winter don't impress me.
IIRC, 15C = 59F.

With enough beer, who cares about logistics?

This makes me think of the film:Atanarjuat: The Fast Runner.

In it, a male character jumps naked from his bed and runs into the frozen north, attempting to escape a jealous rival.

It was the first film to be done entirely in Inuktitu.

New Threads

Top Bottom