• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

"Low Work Tollerance"

Datura

It has been some time since I last started a thread, but those who have been on this board for a while might recall that I was having difficulty with depression and finding work. This situation, unfortunately, has not been resolve.

During my hiatus from AspiesCentral I have had my ups and downs in terms of mental health. Sometimes I would be gripped by ambiton and begin ardently looking for work, only to quickly burn myself our and go for months without taking any meaningful action.

Recently I signed up with a program for people with berriers to employment. I was signed up for a bout two weeks of workshops. This consisted of only two half days and one full day per week. By the end of my second day in class I was already feeling fatigued and raw. Half way through the day I was even reaching for my sunglasses to block out the light, only to find that the weight of the glasses on my nose was just as irritating.

To make matters worse the quality of instruction was very poor. The person running these workshops seemed to have a poor understanding of the subject matter and would pretty much just read off of the projector perbatum without any elaborations or clarifications. When asked simple questions (like, "what does it mean to 'sandwich criticisms'?") she was unable to provide a satisfactory response.

The worst part, mind you, was during a "Disclosing Disability" workshop. We were given an exercise which presented us with a list of people with sundry disabilities applying for different positions. We then had space on the worksheets to write out how they might disclose these disabilities to an employer. She seemed to miss the point of the exercise entirely and instead of providing us with even a single concrete answer suggested that maybe all of these people should be looking for other fields of work in which their disabilities would not prove a hindrance.

The next day I had an interview with my job coach. I could barely muster the will to get out of bed and almost wished I would just fall asleep and never wake up. I had no time to really get ready, but I did make it there on time. During the meeting I was nearly in tears, and when asked how I was doing I told her how exhausted and dejected I was feeling. I was hoping that attending some workshops would help motivate me and put me in a job hunting head-space, but I felt even more discouraged than before.

I also disclosed my concerns about the instructor, for which she thanked me and assured me the problem would be addressed. But she did say I should probably not continue with the workshops, not only because I wasn't learning anything new, but because my levels of exhaustion obviously indicated that I didn't have very much "work tolerance."

She then recommended that I apply for disability and attempt to build work tolerance through volunteerism, and coming into the centre to polish my computer skills.

It just seems as though I have such a long way to go before I can have the kind of life I want. For years I was working. There was even a time when I could be called outgoing, but for years now I have been more or less stuck in a state of unemployability and personal stagnation. I thought I would do so much more with my life, but I can't even go to a job fair or apply myself to a course right now without feeling drained and hopeless.

I wonder if anybody has advice on how to get out of this rut. What are good ways of building work tolerance? How fast should one go? How does one know when they are taking on too much versus not enough?

I can't stress enough to you how much your post resonates with me. I too am in a similar position. I find I can't juggle too much in my life. I can concentrate on one area or nothing at all. I have two children so I find that my energies go toward them which leaves me with little for anything else. Not long ago I had a part time job, I was studying uni part time and I had my two children and ran a household, I handled it well. Then I got to a point where I felt like something had to give so I quit my job. So for two years I was studying and looking after the kids (running household too) now I feel like taking leave from uni and just focusing on the kids!! I see so many out their juggling their lives so well and I can never maintain things for long! I feel so frustrated with myself and I want to do great things with my life but I tend to have a maximum time limit maintaining things then I crumble in a heap! I'm not being very helpful but I thought maybe knowing someone out there was having the same problem might provide some reassurance.

I know what you mean. I used to see my coworkers juggling family with two, sometimes three jobs. Meanwhile, I was working part time shifts and still waking up late and arriving at home exhausted. It's frustrating, but I suppose it does no good to feel guilty about it.

I have used many employment centers. Both regular employment centers and ones help people with disabilities. Each center help build my resume to make it stronger. Most of the centers I taken workshops. It seems not matter how many workshops I take, it does not make it any easier for me to get a job. Instead, I need an employer to give me a chance.

My first full time job in my trade as a software developer in 2011 did worked out well. I didn't disclose my disability until during the 6 month of employment. The employment term lasted for about 3 years.

After I tired running my own business which didn't work out well.

Between running a business I also tried searching for a full time job. I had many interviews but never got the job since I don't do well in interviews.

Finally, I decided to speak to everyone I know telling them I searching for work in my trade. 3 months later I connected with someone for a full time job. It been 14 months now for this current job. This employer seems a bit more understanding about my disability than my former one.

If I can share what I learn over the years is building good connections is very important. Mind you, I'm not a social person and I keep to myself. Still, I trying to figure out a plan to build my connections so in the future I don't need to struggle as much finding employment.

Building work tolerance has always been a difficult thing for Aspies, and "tolerate" is exactly what we do with work. We have trouble doing something we don't want to do every day; we aren't quite the beasts of burden that NTs are.

That said, there are various ways to build work tolerance. The best way, in my opinion, is to just jump in and endure hell for about a month, at which point it gets better. That might not be an option, so the other option is to start small and gradually expand your hours. My company had mixed results employing this strategy; it varied from Aspie to Aspie.

It sounds like your sensory issues are what's giving you trouble. In a perfect world, you would have all the accommodations you need to minimize that. In reality, that will never ever happen. So assuming you have no choice but to work, you may have to take a reactive approach to sensory issues, when possible. The light giving you a headache? Tylenol. Uniform's itchy? Wash it with tons of fabric softener. The noise is too much? Pick a less noisy job to begin with.

What I'm saying is that work tolerance doesn't come first. You don't build work tolerance to be able to hold the job; rather, it comes second, you work first and work tolerance will come as you find ways to cope. That's why I say it's better to dive right in. It will be a living hell, it always will be, but what I'm trying to do is prevent you from having too high of expectations and chase a goal you'll never catch. What you described is going to be your reality, and there's no way out of that, but it gets better over time.

I'm feeling pretty hopeless about work as well, and I am very worried about the issue of work tolerance. I like the idea of volunteer work to build up work tolerance. But this situation does feel depressing and scary.

At this point it seems I need to work up to even the notion of volunteer work. I booked a bunch of volunteer shifts recently and had to cancel because my depression and social anxiety are really bad right now. It doesn't help that I am undergoing med adjustments.

I haven't worked for almost 9 years, because I have had children to raise and my partner works. I am terrified of going back to work. I was never any good at keeping jobs when I did work, longest I managed was 6 months I think. It gets too stressful, especially having to engage with people all day. I don't know what I'm going to do when I have to start working again.

I haven't worked for almost 9 years, because I have had children to raise and my partner works. I am terrified of going back to work. I was never any good at keeping jobs when I did work, longest I managed was 6 months I think. It gets too stressful, especially having to engage with people all day. I don't know what I'm going to do when I have to start working again.
I think it's amazing that you have managed to raise kids, though! :)

I think it's amazing that you have managed to raise kids, though! :)
Thankyou, still a long way to go before they're independent lol.

Its the hardest thing I've ever done, and the only reason I didn't jack them in like I have jobs in the past is because depsite the stress I do love them... and it would not be acceptable to just quit and runaway lol.

Thankyou, still a long way to go before they're independent lol.

Its the hardest thing I've ever done, and the only reason I didn't jack them in like I have jobs in the past is because depsite the stress I do love them... and it would not be acceptable to just quit and runaway lol.
I have always been afraid to have kids, I was so worried I wouldn't be able to handle it. It is always encouraging to see that other women have managed! Now I am old enough that it's unlikely I would get pregnant, but it still could happen - I keep these kinds of stories in mind to gain confidence that I could raise them, too. I think it's wonderful you were able to stay home with them - their memories of childhood will be of mom :)

New Threads

Top Bottom