• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Looking a lot younger?

How did you get in trouble for saying "vagina"?
"The way in which (I) said it". What I just said but with "vagina" in place of "lack of Y chromosome". It is apparently offensive to refer to women by their organs, I don't know, I'll just try not to piss the moderator off again.

"The way in which (I) said it". What I just said but with "vagina" in place of "lack of Y chromosome". It is apparently offensive to refer to women by their organs, I don't know, I'll just try not to piss the moderator off again.
I hope I'm allowed to mention I'm ascribed male at birth. I was planning to make a thread about chest hair

Suppose lack of Y doesn't fit all females, but I guess it's relevant here as without taking hormones Y owners would grow facial hair. Maybe it would make more sense to refer to hormones though. Not sure quite on the technicalities.

What about those of us who can't grow beards for lack of Y

Have you tried Testosterone?

lol if that's not your thing though i don't know... makeup?

and yeah some parts of the internet are overly PC if you want to meet friendly accepting people you have to deal with them getting offended whenever you say something that "appropriates cis gender norms" because aparently saying "women have a vagina" is the same thing as saying "there are no trans or intersex women who don't have vaginas" regardless of how open or accepting you are to those groups...

Makeup makes my skin go all red and itchy (as does showering...) so I never wear it.

And I swear people get offended by everything, I've stopped giving a **** about being politically correct or trying not to be offensive because someone, somewhere out there, will be able to find something mildly offensive about everything and will blow it out of proportion and I've figured out that's not my problem. Of course I don't go around saying blatantly racist, sexist etc stuff, but if I haven't done anything particularly wrong I'm not going to care if someone's offended. I won't call women in possession of vaginas again though, I want to keep my account lol.

People are usually shocked I'm 29 until I point out the grey hairs on my temples but facially I still look closer to 20 than 30

I'm very short and people generally guess 19 20 but I'm 26. I think they would guess even lower though unfortunately for me. I HATE facial hair and long hair but it makes me look older so I try to grow them. I love a fresh haircut and a shave though! My favorite! Unfortunately it doesn't fair well with employers (no one has ever said this to me but I think otherwise, despite what you are supposed to look like; clean shaven) and I try to straighten my hair with a beanie, and shave once a week on a day it can grow back for some face paint.

Recently I was asked to show my ID to purchase a lotto ticket. After showing the cashier my driving license she still didn't believe me I am 34 years old.

I'm 42, look 28, & act 14! I'm also quite small, so I get a lot of that too. I don't mind, and I've vowed to NEVER act my age!

Prior to when I hit the 40's I was often mistaken for someone ten to 15 years younger. Now that I am 47 (becoming 48 tomorrow), I live in a town where approx. >80% of the people in it are retirees, so I am surrounded by people who think I am young because I am not their age (i.e. over 65). The last time someone tried to guess my age, the person in question thought it was self-evident that I was younger than he (he's in his early 30's).

Maybe N.T.'s just live a more stressful life, which causes them to age prematurely. I can imagine being hyper-competitive (ex. corporate-ladder climbing, keeping up with the Joneses), stressing about status (ex. clothing labels, losing weight, the type of car they drive), caring about gossip, and not having the correct priorities in life must take its toll on their bodies. The poor things, maybe we should actually feel sorry for them.

There may be something to this, but it is not yet firmly established or defined.

One theory with some backing in facial studies proposes that their are some features unusually common in Aspies that are suggestive of youth, as the features permanently retain childlike proportions. (ie. Large eyes, spaced wider apart, large head/forehead, large lips). They do not say these things occur in all aspies, but that some of these more commonly occur in Aspies then the general NT population.

I have also often read people mention the Aspie look, or stare. Again, not all are claimed to possess such but it may be that our expression is sometimes also similar to a youth/childs. I thought it might have to do with our continued need to evaluate a situation, even common ones which mimics in a way a childs inquisitiveness and searching.

I also wonder if there may be other factors. Could there be something in our mentality that works against lines or wrinkles forming. Why do those form in the first place? Is it purely physical or does one psychology have an affect. I have sometimes heard of lines on the face associated with persistant attitude or mental state, like 'worry lines' or persistant frowns, etc.

Just mostly spectulation here, but I do think there is something to it, from my own observation of the photo's many aspie's have shared here and elsewhere on aspie sites. I would also say that aspies are certainly not on average lower in looks then the general population. They may well be on the positive side of the curve actually. That doesn't mean all aspies have been favored with good looks. We are not that different from anyone else. There may be just a trend detectable.
Very interesting. I am not formally diagnosed yet but I definitely have these features. I have a 'squishy' nose, that never even had any cartilage form in the tip until I was well into my twenties; I used to be able to squash my nose flat. My evil ex used to say this was not normal and must be a sign of a neurological or developmental disorder (he was a biologist and had an interest in these things) though he was an awful man I think that may be something he got right. I can't squish it now but it still looks like a child's nose, I have extra bone on the bridge of my nose making it seem very wide. I also have big ears, a high forehead and a large head-2 or 3 inches larger in head circumference than is average for women. I also have low muscle tone, this runs in my dad's side of the family but I have it worse and never developed a waist, I am plus-sized but very much apple shaped. I have fairly large eyes and this weird thing where one eye looks bigger than the other, and this is more pronounced at some times than others, I have had it since birth. My pupils also do not line up, when the dot of light hits my eyes it hits about half a centimetre out on my left eye. I am 34 but got asked for ID a month or so ago and several midwives when I was pregnant with my youngest guessed my age before looking at my notes and the oldest estimate was 24. I have a couple of friends who knew me in my late teens and they say I look exactly the same. The one problem with being so young looking is people talk to me like a child, especially medical professionals I have found.

Maybe N.T.'s just live a more stressful life, which causes them to age prematurely. I can imagine being hyper-competitive (ex. corporate-ladder climbing, keeping up with the Joneses), stressing about status (ex. clothing labels, losing weight, the type of car they drive), caring about gossip, and not having the correct priorities in life must take its toll on their bodies. The poor things, maybe we should actually feel sorry for them.
I don't know. Aspies can face a lot of stress too, from comorbid anxiety and difficulties related to sensory issues, living independently, etc.

Does anyone else have this? I have read that it is an Asperger trait! Is it a curse or a blessing?

I look 10 years younger (and act like one -I was stuck with a teenage mentality for 15 years..) and people are shocked when they hear my age. I do appreciate my looks, but I hate it when their face drops and they're like, "wow, that old"? Lol. Yeah, I'm 31 and look like 21. My two female AS friends also look and act 10 years younger (other is 37 and other 43)! :wub:
That's a ****ing blessing tbh.
Ive been told that by a few people too.

Prior to when I hit the 40's I was often mistaken for someone ten to 15 years younger. Now that I am 47 (becoming 48 tomorrow), I live in a town where approx. >80% of the people in it are retirees, so I am surrounded by people who think I am young because I am not their age (i.e. over 65). The last time someone tried to guess my age, the person in question thought it was self-evident that I was younger than he (he's in his early 30's).

Probably not what you want to hear but love this theory since it favors my nihlist philosophies.

So, I've actually been feeling rather self concious about ageing recently as I notice every little change in my complexion. Despite this I just had a guy come up to me and try to arrange a coffee date. He appeared to be younger, no more than his mid 20s, and was carrying a backpack. He asked me a few questions including weather or not I was still in high school. o_O
I informed him that I hadn't been in high school for quite some time and was actually 31. He responded by saying, "Oh, you look young. ", and that may be true, but I didn't think I could pass for a teen!:confused:

I honestly feel very flattered, but for a number of reasons I don't really know how to respond to his advances. He has no idea what he is getting himself into with me, and I am not sure I even want a relationship. *sigh*

He has no idea what he is getting himself into with me, and I am not sure I even want a relationship. *sigh*

I had this same reaction in a somewhat different situation yesterday. I'm in a volunteer orchestra, and one of the ladies in the orchestra came up to me after practice. She said I seem "very smart" and she wanted to get together some time just to talk. It was flattering to have someone reach out to start building a new friendship, but I wonder if she would still be interested if she knew what I'm really like? ...that I have some very specific, limited interests? ...that I never really feel connected with other people emotionally, no matter how hard I try? ...that I'm socially quite awkward once you get past the initial, scripted parts? ...that my crazy-making background presents constant challenges in figuring out how to relate to people in healthy ways?

New Threads

Top Bottom