• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Longest Relationship?

gallopingllama

What is the longest relationship you have ever been in?

The longest relationship I have ever been in is the one I am in now and we are going on a year now. Usually my relationships last 3-6 months either they bail or I do.

Well the longest relationship I can think of is the one that I had with my ex which has been going for a pretty long time since I was 16 onwards up until I left school, since then things have been edgy between me and my ex and as far as I know, the relationship I had with her was probably one of the ones I wished never happened but it happened.

I'm in a new and much happier relationship now and so far it's been going very well to the point I'm actually the most happiest with her, I just hope and pray that this will last forever.

As for the ones in the past, they didn't really last very long.

13 years, I think we both know how and when to compromise. We have had some very hard times, even in the first year things were very trying. And I think we both really committed to the relationship early on, because the choice was to make it work even in the tough times, or split up. That "being in love" feeling is great, and may be be what brought us together, but a deeper more subdued love and a respect for each other is what kept us together. If I were to think about us splitting up now I think not only of the material concerns, house, cars, pets. But also of the life we have together, so much of my life is dependent on the role he plays in it. Because of him I have a routine, some organization, that I never had in my life since childhood. I'm not sure what all he gets from me, but if I had to guess it would be emotional stability. I know there's more than that, but so much of this kind of stuff just happens without much thought. I only have one piece of advice, Be kind.

Good to see that you guys are having success with relationships. If there was a prize for the shortest relationship then I'd win by far.

Funny you say 3-6 months because thats usually the life mine usually get.
Except this one I'm in at the moment. We're hitting close to a year now!

Hmmm. I've never 'formalised' a relationship, ever, but the long time i've spent 'dating' someone was about two and a half weeks.

13 YEARS, Billi? I envy you. I've never felt that "being in love" feeling, but want it more than I can say.

My wife and I have been together for almost four years now, and we've been married for over two years. It's actually the only relationship I've ever been in.

Quote from John Elder Robison / Psychology Today:

"Sometimes people ask me, "What kind of person should a guy with Asperger's look for?"
I can't speak for you, but this is an answer that's worked for me:
People with Asperger's have very weak sensitivity to other people's thoughts and feelings. But we often offset that with exceptionally strong logical brains. Therefore, we are wise to seek a mate with exceptional emotional sensitivity and less logical brainpower. Then, our mental abilities compliment each other's. One of us has great emotional intelligence, and the other has great logical intelligence. Individually, we're each weak. Together, though, we are very strong.
Of course, your mileage may vary"

What do you guys think?

The longest for me was 8,5 years. I did see a pattern emerge, as the one after that was 8,5 months, and then it was 8,5 weeks, lol

And before those 8,5 years, I was with someone for about 8 months. Actually, I've been single relatively long now. Pretty much 10 months... which is the longest I've been single since I started dating/having relationships.

Also 13 years here, we never married and we split up like, 11 thousand times (small exaggeration) but it was loving for the most part. It started long before I was diagnosed but she always knew. It was only the second relationship/ girlfriend for me and none since.
I dont even like my family, so how do I LOVE a complete sranger? I cant seem to get my head around any person with aspergers being amourous with heaps of people over their lifetime, i've always figured we arent built to be loved but forever strive for it, then when it gets too close... gently push it away or, club it over the head so it quickly moves on ;]

2 years. It was my first serious relationship and I fell in love hard with this girl. Blah blah blah, long story short its been almost a year since we broke up and I still hate her with passion for being who she is and what she does

Less than a year, and it was a long-distance thing, but we saw each other every now and then. I kind of loved her, the first for whom I really felt something, and she screwed me over so badly. also screwed my friendship, (out of all people, she hooked up with my friend and I have a minimum of friends, so it's extra painful for me, you don't do these sorts of things to me), which I have been persistent enough to keep just to prove her a point.
but I have never actually forgiven my "friend", I just pretended not to care about it, but will never trust her again as I do believe she's full of ****. I do believe my romantic bondings to be sacred in a way (because most of the time I don't feel anything, and when I do, it means a lot) and she's probably unsuspecting, but a part of me really hates her for going for my first love, thinking it's okay. weird, I know. I don't know what I'm trying to prove anymore, but destroying my "friendship" right now - with this excuse would look kind of childish, because enough time has passed. But the trust is long gone.
I restrained from active looking ever since. some strange things happened of course... don't really know.
never really had much in terms of relationships. it's a bit difficult for me to imagine myself in a healthy, "normal" relationship. :geek:

I have only had one girlfriend, but we ended up in wedlock. . We have been together for over 5 years.

I could say my ex wife, 16 years. But there was never a full year without a breakup. There was even a divorce and a re-marriage. Just me being obsessed with trying to make things work when they were not meant to.

20 years total 13 married
I believe it went so well because she was an aspie also.:D

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom