• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Living on your own

My mother doesn't think I could live on my own, mostly due to my limited disability income. I'm a bit lazy when it comes to cleaning, and I've never done my own laundry. Currently, my parents manage all my money, partially because my mother believes I would spend it all on video games, DVDs, soda, and Transformers. She would like to get me into a group home or some sort of assisted living system, but they won't take anyone with an IQ over 70 here in Oklahoma. Even if I were to get in, the thought of being in a group home scares me a bit. At best, it could be like a pleasant home, but at worse, it could be like a glorified prison where I would have very little freedom to even eat or drink what I want. I fear always having someone over me, nagging me about everything I do "wrong," such as drinking too much soda or staying on the computer too much. I get enough of that from my mother.

I live on my own, it's much easier than living with others. I can prepare a meal whenever I want regardless of who else wants to eat at that time, I need not compete for kitchen space. I can buy groceries without worrying about whether or not they'll fit in the 'fridge. There's no way my roommate will have bought a dog tomorrow - I don't have a roommate. Nobody will eat my food unless I invite them to.

I recognize that Sheldon's roommate agreement is ridiculous, it is very thick. But I wish that I'd had roommate agreements in the past. Now I need not envy him the roommate agreement. I do sometimes get lonely, but then I did when I had to live with others too. Being around other people is much nicer when it's something I have chosen to do; when others are constantly in places I require access to to look after myself I look after myself less and spend my limited ability to be around others on what is necessary, competing for space that I've already paid cash for. I am more social when living on my own because I spend my ability to be around others being around people I want to be around in situations that I want to be in. I can walk away from people at any time without losing any ability to look after myself.

I'm with MrSpock on this one. I live alone and it is preferable to living with others. I have never had a problem with paying my own way, paying my bills, working, and so on. My problems have always come from other people. There is always that uncertainty there that I cannot deal with. Either they lose their jobs, go crazy on me, invite people over at all hours of the day/night, compete with me for space, pressure me into a relationship, can't deal with my needed quiet hours/work schedule (I work odd hours) or just generally pester me when I just want to be alone.

That said, I am very lonely where I'm at, but I tend to find people to fill that void online. It certainly works for some things and not others, which leaves me very wanting, but it's preferable to the alternatives I've had to face in the past while living with others.

Hi Droopy,

I live alone in a single bedroom apartment. I have a representative payee who helps me with my finances and bills. I also receive help when I need to understand official documents(learning disability). Other than those 2 things, everything else is pretty much manageable to me. I do my own grocery shopping and once in awhile go out to eat. I also have other activities now and then to get out of my apt. I have a limited income, but things aren't too bad though. When I need to get something real spendy, I just save up for it. All in all I enjoy it and things work out great for me. I wish you luck in the future whatever you decide to do. Take care and have a great day!

I have lived on my own for 17 years and couldn't possibly share with anyone now. Too set in my ways and too used to having things the way I like them. Even when I've been in a relationship I didn't want to cohabit.
I do have two dogs though and would be lost without them.I could do with a little more company sometimes but not if I had to live with someone to achieve that.
If circumstances forced me to have to share a space it would have to be on neutral territory. No way I could share my own house.

New Threads

Top Bottom