• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

LGBTs

So what can we do?

IF like myself, you are afflicted with multiple areas that need advocating, then you have to contribute to each one separately. I'm trying to educate myself more on how to advocate for adults with AS in my area. Being that I'm very high functioning, I'm considering a specialized education that specializes in autism counseling to get an accreditation to then start a clinic or group therapy for adults and spouses in my area, as that is sorely lacking (many for children, none for adults). On the LGBT front, I donate time and income to local and national groups like HRC (Human Rights Campaign).

Also, it takes time...the LGBT community in the USA has really only made significant improvements in the last 5+ years and have been working at it since the 60-70's...and there have been many set backs along the way.

I have been in the healthiest relationship of my life with my partner of two years. She understands me in a way that my husband of 20 years ever could.

I am not part of the LGBT community however I have had several and known many who are part of this community. I find that they have the same kinds of relationships that others do. They have full and healthy relationships just like everyone else. to be perfectly honest I have struggled with my sexuality for years but have come to the conclusion that there is no label that works and that whomever you love is who you love. I don't lean one way or the other. I would guess I would be a bit more heteroflexiable.

My society does not think so - and I'll question my society while trying hard not to challenge the societal norms (challenging so will incur great personal costs, such as 'sexist' chants).

I dislike the situation in my country.

Why not? the way I see this is in Aspie logic:

Hetero Aspie+Hetero Aspie= Same problems, Different plumbing.

LGBT Aspie+ LGBT Aspie= Same problems, Same plumbing.

Go forth & PLUMB!!!!

My friend in NYC has been dating a long term partner. Maybe it depends on finding the right person who is committed to a long term relationship.

Last edited:
I'd have to say that for the most part my interactions with people who identify themselves as part of the LGBT community have been positive. I think because I am an Aspie it is easier for me to understand their claim that sexual orientation is something you are born with and not something you choose or easily change. Although I do believe that sexuality is a spectrum and that we humans, being highly intelligent and curious, are more free to experiment with our sexualities than other animals and that it is possible for someone to decide on the basis of experience that they prefer one sex over another. I don't consider that a true orientation, however, but a preference.

I myself am asexual in that I am not really interested in having someone enter my body nor do I particularly care to enter theirs. Until all this discussion of same-sex relationships came along I pretty much took it for granted that I was straight. After all, that was what my culture said I was and I saw no reason to question it. In thinking over the matter I'd have to say that I am neither straight nor gay. Nor bisexual. Actually when it comes down to it, my sexuality is nobody else's business. I think the only time anyone's sexuality should be other people's business is if that person is sexually attracted to children or is otherwise using their sexuality in ways to hurt others. What consenting adults want to do with each other, as long as it is in private, is their business.

I have friends in the LGBT community. However, I do not want to become identified with that community because I feel that it would impoverish me socially. There are no openly LGBT people in the other organizations I am a part of, and if I were to become known as "one of those" (even though I am not), I would find myself interacting primarily with LGBT people and lose the range of contacts that I now enjoy. Since I don't share any of those orientations, I'm afraid I would find that in time I would not fit in well with the LGBT community, any more than I could fit in with the church that I was in. I don't want my social life defined by sexual orientation, mine or others. Right now, I am accepted pretty much wherever I go. I could not do that as part of a community defined by sexual orientation, even asexuality.

With a common set of challenges, I think Aspies and LGBTs will mix well. Assuming Aspies come together and share all our experiences openly, I don't see any reasons why Aspie LGBT relationships will fail, or not work out. :D

I am not a member of the LGBT community, however, I did have a relationship with a transgender girl.

It was a pleasantly unusual relationship. She was unaware of my diagnosis, (as I was undiagnosed at the time), but I think Asperger's Syndrome worked to our advantage. As a creative, independent, and free thinker, I was open to engaging in a a relationship with her. Other men would have said, "Oh, what will my people think if I dated a transgender girl? derpfjnfebgjvgslrgsml"

Someone like me, who gives a middle finger to societal norms, ended up loving a wonderful woman, who managed to change me for the better. ^___^ :love:

New Threads

Top Bottom