• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Last thing that scared you

Misty Avich

I prefer to be referred to as ADHD
V.I.P Member
Tonight me and my husband were in bed in the dark, when suddenly we heard the bedroom door creak like someone was pushing it. There's no-one else in our house (except our rats but they're in their cage).
I got the fear of God in me as I imagined someone had somehow got into our apartment and was creeping into our room with a knife or something. Then a more illogical thought came into my mind, imagining it was one of those creepy dummies or art sculptures that circle the internet (Momo, Norman, Tara the singing android, etc). I dived underneath the sheets and almost cried in terror, and wrapped my arms and legs around my husband for all I was worth. He yelled at me not to be so erratic, but I couldn't help myself. I don't even usually get that scared so easily. I think I need to stop watching eerie creepy stuff on YouTube.

Turns out the reason the bedroom door had moved on its own was because it was open and a pillow fell off the bed and knocked against the open door, pushing it slightly so that it creaked as it moved.

Anyway, what was the last thing that scared you/gave you the creeps?

Turning around to find my adult son had walked up to me without me being aware of him

Sitting at home and someone ran up and pounded on the apartment door vigorously and then ran off.

I have had enough of this for one lifetime considering someone tried to kill me so I went and grabbed up a kitchen chair and the broomstick and planned to sit out front and wait for whoever it was to come back.

It turns out it's the neighborhood kids and they don't remember each other's house numbers so have been basically ding-dong-ditching the whole first floor to get their playmates and friends to come out. Not sure if that's a great idea. Nice kids, just loud and rambunctious, but quite respectful about not doing that stunt again.

Still scared the hell out of me. I'm not mad, I just startle easily.

About ten years ago on my wife's birthday, I was driving the family down a very hilly straight steep road in the morning when all of a sudden the squeaky brakes for weeks prior became very spongy and would not slow the car down as our vehicle was now going faster and faster. What made it worse was then without warning the bright shining sun came suddenly from behind a cloud or mountain and I could see anything but intense blinding glare.

For those five to ten seconds I felt I was going to be responsible for all of our deaths, as I knew from previous trips down that hill at the bottom of the hill was a stop sign where the road ended with a busy city street perpendicular to that, and as there were houses spaced not far apart along the other side of that adjoining street. I did not have time to say anything other than "I am sorry," feeling like this would be the end for us all.

I just kept the steering wheel straight and waited for the huge crash,knowing the car would eventually leave that road, either to the side where I could not see,or to the end where the sun was coming from and I could not look.. Our vehicle hit and jumped a curb at the bottom, blew out two tires and came to a rolling stop only after travelling somehow directly between two houses, missing a tree by inches there and going over a.bicycle on the grass and ending up much further back into some tall weeds.

It was the happiest day of my life my family was not injured or killed from my dumb decision not to fix the brakes the prior weeks. I never took things for granted since that day.

Last edited:
We have cats so quite used to doors moving, scratches on windows, and other strange things - the last scary thing that I could feel in my stomach was probably last week my social worker said it was time for me to work on my daily plans on my own, a step in getting independent - I could see my life falling apart in front of me - I know my independence is the goal, and what I want, but it is still scary...I know it's an experiment and there still is an option for permanent support if I fail, but that topic is probably worth its own thread :)

Tonight me and my husband were in bed in the dark, when suddenly we heard the bedroom door creak like someone was pushing it. There's no-one else in our house (except our rats but they're in their cage).
I got the fear of God in me as I imagined someone had somehow got into our apartment and was creeping into our room with a knife or something. Then a more illogical thought came into my mind, imagining it was one of those creepy dummies or art sculptures that circle the internet (Momo, Norman, Tara the singing android, etc). I dived underneath the sheets and almost cried in terror, and wrapped my arms and legs around my husband for all I was worth. He yelled at me not to be so erratic, but I couldn't help myself. I don't even usually get that scared so easily. I think I need to stop watching eerie creepy stuff on YouTube.

Turns out the reason the bedroom door had moved on its own was because it was open and a pillow fell off the bed and knocked against the open door, pushing it slightly so that it creaked as it moved.

Anyway, what was the last thing that scared you/gave you the creeps?
Nothing gives me the creeps as much anymore because I have lived a life of severe pain, you become immune to pain.
But what really scares me is when I am out of control and there is nothing that can be done quickly that is kind to help me.
Because in certain situations you become a danger to yourself and probably others too and there is no-one who can help in a way that is not triggering your trauma pain or hypervilgilance.
Whst also scares me is the feelings that you are stuck and things are not geniune and true like you feel not welcome somewhere that should be a good place.
It is like you trust people to treat you well and they do not.
What scares me is someone who loves you who hurts you. And there is nothing you can do because you do not know how to trust your situations are good anymore or get the help you need
Stuck situations are really scary.
If someone like God let's you down then I really do not know who else you can depend on because really humans are so dependable.
So good chance if you are putting all your faith in humans then it seems like you are lucky to have humans to trust and put faith in.
What really scares me being prejudiced on your physical appearance because it is a form of abuse and not right.
No one should ever have to go through that and particularly a woman who may be extra sensitive on her appearance.

There are enough bullies in the world who can easily hurt you based on it without other attacks. So when people you trust to be your friends are no longer as friendly that scares me.

Getting a text from my mom saying she was in the hospital. I was terrified and scared. She has problems with her colon which, is expected when you reach age 50. That’s what the doctor said anyways. She has diverticulitis.

My heart attack.

So scared that all I could hear was my own inner voice saying, "I'm dying ... I'm dying ... I'm dying ..." over and over again.

Getting a text from my mom saying she was in the hospital. I was terrified and scared. She has problems with her colon which, is expected when you reach age 50. That’s what the doctor said anyways. She has diverticulitis.
A combination of that and aggressive blood-thinning, vasodilation medication put me in hospital twice. The first time I got a ride in an ambulance! :) That was at 3am. I wasn’t “scared”, perhaps a little concerned at the amount of bleeding, but I think it may have scared my wife. The loud bang as I passed out and fell over in the bathroom woke her up. Still, the CT scan they gave me to check if my head was OK after I hit it as I fell (it was) did find the tumour in my thyroid, so that was good. :)

I can't say that I have been scared of anything, per se. I have had a lot of life-threatening events in my life that I have so very calmly faced. Like, no reaction, at all. However, I have been surprised and startled, and my reflex reaction would be to immediately go on the attack. I have attacked my father a few times because he thought it would be fun to scare his son. One time, I picked him up off the ground by one hand by the neck and pinned him against the wall. I was just a 160lb, 16-17 year old kid at the time and he was about 250lbs. He was a feather in my hand. My wife has startled me a few times over the years as well. I never laid a hand on her, but I was inches from her face roaring like a silverback gorilla. Shear terror in her eyes.

Usually, these events are over and done with within a few seconds and then I am ashamed and embarrassed. Yeah, don't startle me.

3 years ago now, driving through central Queensland. When I'm out on country roads I like to stay sitting behind big trucks specifically because of the wildlife, especially when driving at night. I really didn't expect to get hit by a big roo on the rebound. It hit the front quarter panel and slid up the windscreen and off the side. The truck must have softened it up for me first because although it left mess all over the car it didn't do any damage.

Snake got in the house. We have water snakes with the same patterns of venomous ones, so it's tense sometimes.

New Threads

Top Bottom