• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Languages!

My native language is Argentinian Castillian. My second one would be a kind of a neutral English, since I learned it on the internet, in forums like this one. I also knew Brazilian Portuguese because I lived there, but I forgot almost everything so I can't talk portuguese, but I understand almost perfectly when I listen to it or read it.

I like philology, the science and nature of languages, why every language we know is like that, their origins and mixes. I would like to know more languages.

Sadly, I am horrible at languages. Even my own native english! It's not that I don't understand or that I have a poor vocabulary knowledge- It's just that I am such a visual thinker that language typically does not apply to my inner dialog and therefore it becomes very jumbled up when I try to verbalize anything. Even writing is difficult since many of the descriptors I'd like to use are stuck in the back of my mind, refusing to be seen. Because of this, my writing and speaking style tends to be fairly basic since it becomes too frustrating to stop and think for several minutes at times the best way to say or explain something.

As a kid I was always interested in learning German since much of my family heritage is from Germany. I can comprehend a fair amount of German in writing, but very little when spoken. Tried to learn French during middle school but hated it and ended up dropping out after the first semester. I will say, however, French is a very beautiful sounding language as well as Japanese!

Well since I am Chinese I speak (in order of fluency) English, Cantonese and then Mandarin. A lot of Asian kids where I grew up as well, but they did a lot of code switching (English to chinese to english) which looking back was understandable but even as a kid I hated it when they did that. I was like "speak either Chinese or English you idiots, don't mix them!" And was pretty adamant about it esp. in high school where my sister did it ALL THE TIME and I remember literally being in pain hearing it LOL.

I also like doing accents for some reason, mostly ppl from different parts of the world speaking English but I can also do "American speaks Chinese" or "Brit attempts Chinese" as well.

I also learned a bit of French, German and Japanese but while I can fake the accents pretty well I don't *really* speak them :p.

A lot of Asian kids where I grew up as well, but they did a lot of code switching (English to chinese to english) which looking back was understandable but even as a kid I hated it when they did that. I was like "speak either Chinese or English you idiots, don't mix them!" And was pretty adamant about it esp. in high school where my sister did it ALL THE TIME and I remember literally being in pain hearing it LOL.

Not sure if that is technically "code switching," but I am aware of the phenomenon and I actually like it, kinda. My ex and I (she was native speaker of German) used to switch back and forth between German and English all the time, and I just thought it was cool that we could do it. But I have plenty of other peeves about language myself, so I sympathize.

Slovenian, obviously. English, Croatian (it's pretty similar to my mother tongue), a little bit of German and Spanish, and I'm learning Turkish now. My new obsession :D

I used to play the close combat series of WWII tactical strategy games, and learned some German and Russian from it. :tongue:

Last edited by a moderator:
I speak English obviously but I grew up in Belize the only English speaking country in Central America so I picked up Spanish but I'm out of practice. I literally haven't used it in many years during when I suffered some brain damage, sooo. I started learning Japanese in college but never got a chance to finish learning. I'd like to, it's first on my list. I love languages so whatever language I get a chance to learn I'm happy about.

Omg language is like, my specialty!

I'm in High School right now, and in all my language classes my classmates are so impressed by how good I am, like I have some kind of godlike power with languages. My brain soaks up vocabulary and grammar rules like a sponge, and I'm pretty good at taking on the accent of the language that I'm speaking. I would really love to learn more languages in the future, it's so much fun!

I'm in High School right now, and in all my language classes my classmates are so impressed by how good I am, like I have some kind of godlike power with languages. My brain soaks up vocabulary and grammar rules like a sponge, and I'm pretty good at taking on the accent of the language that I'm speaking. I would really love to learn more languages in the future, it's so much fun!

You sound like me in high school! And you are lucky...the vindictive a**hole dean would only let me take one language (French).

Getting the right accent seems to be the hard part for me.

Moderator Note:

So you are all aware, there is a rule regarding posts containing other languages:
10. For the benefit of everyone being able to understand and for the purpose of moderating, languages other than English are not allowed.

Hello and goodbye have generally been tolerated but otherwise please keep any foreign language use to PM ; ]

Thank you
gomendosi

Adults tend to have more difficulty learning other languages than kids do, including picking up the accent.

Yep, and I had the misfortune of learning late since nobody in my family bothered to retain their native languages or anything. In fact, I'm like the only person in my family who knows any languages besides English(with the exception of some of my father's German speaking relatives in Switzerland I've never met).

Yep, and I had the misfortune of learning late since nobody in my family bothered to retain their native languages or anything. In fact, I'm like the only person in my family who knows any languages besides English(with the exception of some of my father's German speaking relatives in Switzerland I've never met).

Same here. It's so sad that none of my family members speak anything besides English, they'll never understand the joy of language learning.

I can only speak english (also American english which is extremely easy to understand). If I had the motivation and patience I'd love to learn Italian and if I had the money I'd have regular holidays there too. I briefly had German in the first 2 years of high school but it wasn't really my cup of tea.

New Threads

Top Bottom