• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Languages!

I can only speak english. i used to be very good at reading and writing in french, but not anymore... A friend of my parents also told me i could write in russian when i was about 7 years old but he misunderstood, i wasn't writing in russian - it was just writing in english, using the 'equivalent' letters from the russian alphabet.

I want to learn japanese.. or greek - i know someone who speaks greek and he says it's a great language for clear explanations of thoughts and ideas, and that appeals to me because sometimes i just don't know how to do explain stuff to people in english without accidentally insulting their intelligence.

I'm perfectly bilingual in Spanish and English, speak decent German and to a less extent Italian (though I understand it reasonably well), and I've forgotten most of the Russian I learned. I tried a little Mandarin, but I wasn't doing it frequently enough for it to stick. As I live in Europe these days, French would probably be the next logical language for me, especially with my Roman languages background. Would go back to learning Russian, but I had issues with the teacher, and private language schools are expensive.

I grew up in South America but went to an American high school, and I really put the effort into perfecting the language. Then I went off to college in the US, where I also worked for a few years, and I'm married to an American, so English is really what I speak the most. I even think in it, and in fact have started to forget some of my Spanish :p I've been in Germany for a few years now, and I took the language classes, but was lazy with the homework, so my grammar sucks, but I can hold a conversation an do what I need to get by. I intend to really put an effort into improving it, though, starting next week (just got back from vacation, as I might even go back to university here. I also took Italian lessons here, but I'm starting to forget it, so I should probably get a tandem partner and review my books.

Last edited:
I am fluent in English, and I know enough French to get by if I was dropped into an Francophone city. I know some words/phrases in German and Russian, and a few simple words in a few more languages, but nothing I could really use to communicate. I would love to improve my French, and to learn Spanish, Mandarin, and Kinyarwanda. The last one may sound a little strange, but I am hoping to go to Rwanda on mission-type trips someday (if not for extended stays) and so I'll need to know the native language. :)

Finnish, English, Dutch; fluent
Swedish; understand everything, but mixing with dutch at the moment, so can't speak
German, French; basic, forgotten, because not needed, also not my type of grammar therefore not much interest

I do not learn by grammar, cannot concentrate on that, I learn by learning basics, then listening and listening and daring to speak after a while... my speciality is that I am good at understanding dialects after a while, what ever language.

I speak English (pretty ok), took French (only remember a few unimportant words) and am somewhat fluent in "Cat" (how hard can "Meow" get?). Although, Waldo still keeps flapping his gums at me so I must not be getting that language right either. I give up!

I speak Mandarin and English, though I picked up a little bit of German and Japanese. Guten tag... hai.

I know some Geordie, for example, but I telt you so, argh... Not too good at it. Never set foot in the friendliest city of England (Newcastle) though.

If you can do the accent,I'll be very impressed.LOL!

I've lived there for 2 years,and I understand it.Sometimes I speak English a bit like it,but I can NEVER do the accent,no matter how hard I tried.

I speak Queen's English more fluently than my native tongue;Malay.Haha

Nonetheless,I speak both of them fluently. I also speak and write Arabic somewhat fluently,basic German,and a smattering of Polish.

I also understand Geordie and Singlish.LOL!

Languages is kinda my obsession,so I do pick up lots of words and phrases of each language,until I start losing interest in them. That would include Mandarin,Japanese,Korean,Thai,Spanish,French,Italian,Greek,and Russian. And I did ASL and Tolkien Elvish for a while,too. Anybody wanna tutor me?Lol

Dutch and English fluent and basic German (no problem reading & understanding) and a bit of French. Trying to improve the latter. :)

I've always been interested in learning German, though, I've never really found out how to actually learn a language :/
I can't exactly afford a teacher.

I'm terrible when it comes to learning other languages, but I know a little Japanese (basic), and a bit of Indonesian.

If you ever want to learn cheaply, I recommend Pimsleur CDs. They're created by a brilliant doctor, who understands how the brain receives, and retains information, and so when you do the sessions, it sticks well.

I have been a little slack lately, haha, but what I've learned so far, I've remembered quite well :)

There's also a free app that can help you learn a new language. It's called duolingo and is a great new way to learn.

I speak English though spelling not crash hot. I can speak a tiny bit for French, love to learn more. I would also love to learn Irish Gaelic. I seriously love Italian food so probably should learn the language

I can speak English fine and a little Spanish. I want to learn German, Italian, French, Dutch, Portuguese, and Sign Language.

Yes, that's a good one. I also like to learn Sign Language. I know the alphabet, but I can't do complete words and sentences.

That's a great idea! I just got the app!

I've gotten the app since beginning of last year,and that was how I had learnt German.I did attend a formal course,and I had to sit through an assessment pre-test thing,and they were quite surprised at my proficiency despite not having taken a formal class before.

New Threads

Top Bottom