• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Lack of job opportunities

Aussieaspie91

Have studied Bachelor of Environmental Science and done internships and volunteering in environmental, wildlife, natural resources management and sustainability fields.

I am underemployed since graduated at end of 2012, and recently started working at a local deli cafe because I need money. Since last year I have been applying several interested environmental jobs across the east coast of Australia in range between entry level/graduate to middle class. I am yet get any interviews!!

The employment agency that offers support to disability people has helped me to write a professional cover letter, resume and references for each job applications. Yet still, professionally, no offer of employment nor interview relating to my University's degree.

Is this Aspergers or hearing loss problem influences the lack of offers? I have been applying several applications since July 2013 and still nothing since.

So I started volunteering with Australian Youth Climate Coalition, Australian Seabird Rescue, Greens Party and that to get skills and that. However, still doesn't make any difference.

Its causing stress by losing a lot of money working at a dead end like cafe job whilst waiting for the actual job what I wanted to do for my career. Its terribly frustrating and being forced to do things that I don't like.

Anyone know what is wrong here?

Hugs

Speaking of under-employment, I am also underemployed since September 2013. I am a volunteer financial analyst even with a degree in BSc Accounting and Finance - only partially related to my degree. Also I don't like accounting, too, I'd prefer talking about histories of the land. That's why I had been exploring employment in Australia (I am a member of CPA Australia and I intend to join the Institute of Chartered Accountants Australia, if I really settle in Oz) or the United States (where I have to re-learn accounting and re-take accounting exams, but I don't mind).

I guess it could be hard economic situation - all job applications are 'closed' to ordinary young people who just do not have the connections or the know-how to interact with the 'bosses'. It is not just an Aspie issue - other minority groups also get unemployed these days. The employment situation is so bad worldwide in general, my uncle, who lives in Australia (I mean, my father's younger brother), suggests 'why not volunteer? Just take the dole money and do what you love.' I have to remind him there is no dole in Singapore... is there in your part of the world?

As an alternative, if you don't mind setting up your business and it's environmentally friendly, you can seek for entrepreneurship funding - they may be available in universities, local business boards or even through crowdfunding. I am actually interested in your business, we see how it works :)

Oh and I love the Greens, too! :)

Anyone know what is wrong here?

The global economy continues to struggle to emerge from a recession on a scale not seen in most of our lifetimes. IMO that would remain at the top of most anyone's "list" before honestly considering one's personal merits and faults relative to finding work. This remains a brutal economy which transcends the most frustrated, bright and capable Aspie, as much as the most frustrated, bright and capable Neurotypical.

Your best card in this awful game is patience. I went through a similar situation when I graduated college....went directly from high hopes to a dismal economy. All I could do is to wait it out...and eventually it got better.

Last edited:
I agree with the advice given. I'm struggling to find any work that comes close to using my skills, irrespective of aspie or nt brain! The recession has hit everyone, and it's really bad everywhere. I am actually quite envious of you in that you are in Australia, which has a lovely climate for camping out on the beach and fishing for your food - who needs a job in that scenario?! :D

Here in the uk, it is a different matter. Crappy weather, no jobs, and a benefit system designed to make you eat dirt (it costs more to live than benefits give, unless you are willing to eat toast 365 days a year, and never do anything except sit in your tiny flat with no heating or electricity!!!)

And people want to come to the uk? Why?!!

I have a master degree, 20 years experience, and no work. I am looking at minimum wage stuff, and that's got millions of applicants for each Job. Can I emigrate to Australia please?!!

Anyway, keep smiling!! :cry:

I think it is differcult for everyone now. They want you to be quaified and with experience, but you can not get the experince if you are not quailfied. You also now have a more focus on health and saftey, which can be a good and bad thing. Here In New Zealand worker safety has been undermind. In the building industry your watching over your shoulder for saftey supervisrs, then in mining there are no inspectors, so how does that work out.

I landed the job I had for twenty years because my reference was someone my future boss knew. This reference was from someone I volunteered with and I had no idea that they knew each other. If you are having trouble getting job experience, I highly recommend volunteering. The really cool thing was, the group I worked for had nothing to do with the job I was applying for. Sometimes an employer is interested in your character, and will train you further if you have some of the basic skills they look for. In my case, I could type, had a good phone voice, and was known to be honest and hard working. Where I come from, it is very much who you know rather than what you know that lands you a job.

Is this Aspergers or hearing loss problem influences the lack of offers? I have been applying several applications since July 2013 and still nothing since.

I don't know how it works in Australia, but in the U.S., that kind of discrimination is illegal.

Hugs

Speaking of under-employment, I am also underemployed since September 2013. I am a volunteer financial analyst even with a degree in BSc Accounting and Finance - only partially related to my degree. Also I don't like accounting, too, I'd prefer talking about histories of the land. That's why I had been exploring employment in Australia (I am a member of CPA Australia and I intend to join the Institute of Chartered Accountants Australia, if I really settle in Oz) or the United States (where I have to re-learn accounting and re-take accounting exams, but I don't mind).

I guess it could be hard economic situation - all job applications are 'closed' to ordinary young people who just do not have the connections or the know-how to interact with the 'bosses'. It is not just an Aspie issue - other minority groups also get unemployed these days. The employment situation is so bad worldwide in general, my uncle, who lives in Australia (I mean, my father's younger brother), suggests 'why not volunteer? Just take the dole money and do what you love.' I have to remind him there is no dole in Singapore... is there in your part of the world?

As an alternative, if you don't mind setting up your business and it's environmentally friendly, you can seek for entrepreneurship funding - they may be available in universities, local business boards or even through crowdfunding. I am actually interested in your business, we see how it works :)

Oh and I love the Greens, too! :)

Oh thanks for sharing your experience!

Just curious about the business entrepreneurship funding. As having no experience in business management, but have experience in environmental and sustainability management - what is best way to get this entrepreneurship? I'm not part of University. I would like to hear from people's experiences of doing this so I can find solution and scheme to get this happening!

I don't know how it works in Australia, but in the U.S., that kind of discrimination is illegal.

On other thread I mentioned I did a working holiday trip to Utah last Winter (US's season). I had no problem getting the interview opportunity as the HR knew I have a hearing loss and then no issue getting past the interview. The resort I worked at follows equal employment opportunity and environmental initiatives. I worked in a large cafe at the base of the resort's mountain.

Indeed, Australia is one of most discriminating and racist nations in the world (conservative views), thus having trouble getting along with HRs and job applications which I have said. Australia has went from the bad to the worst since our federal election last September as the Liberal Party (right-wing) came in the power and took off racism and discrimination laws off the commonwealth policies!

If we can't find jobs, create them?

I just hope to get it all started meeting real entrepreneurs, face-to-face or online (Facebook? Argh troublesome, but just give it a go.)

If you can, do make frequent trips to the different universities (especially QUT and UNSW) to have a feel of the newest applications to business ideas. If needed, get a copy of 'MBA for Dummies' just for enrichment. If you need someone to guide you along... I read that book a little too, so I may PM or VM (Visitor Message) you along the way. All we need is a little more encouragement and exploration.

I just set up a thread here so that we can have more possibilities to see how to build Green ideas better. :)

No worries Geordie.

Other thing what concerns me, especially in Australia. Since the changeover of our government. Tend to right-wing view, we losing all of our relevant support services, ethical businesses, community funding, environmental employment and all of that. They cut off science jobs instantly less than 100 days of the seat position!

So now we have lot of stupid b0g3n type of jobs (uneducated and unintelligible people - look it up on Google), mining jobs and religious services. Its sad for my world because its full of cruelty, disaster, damaging our environment and climate and all of that.

So people you deem uneducated aren't allowed the same chance at career advancement you have? How does that solve any problems?

So people you deem uneducated aren't allowed the same chance at career advancement you have? How does that solve any problems?

Its easy. These uneducated and unintelligible people are usually at the lower socio-economic scale. Its a common problem in Australia when they are on the dole (not all people are bogans getting the money from the government). Our government need to support for everyone, not just focusing on middle to high class people who have lots of money and spend on employment and education. Uneducated people are usually live off choice and suffer underemployment and alcoholic/drug issues - mentality issues. So I hope our government need to support these underemployment people and get them to have a chance to get educated of what they want to study or to live life for.

In a bigger picture, its for entire equality. Everyone no matter what disability, wealth level, education level, gender, race and that - they all deserve to live equally.

Okay. I thought you were saying that people in that situation weren't allowed to have the same opportunities.

But I find one thing rather odd---you say you value equal opportunity and treatment for all, but you also spend much of your time complaining about uneducated "bogans" and how they're making life difficult for you. That term seems awfully degrading and dehumanizing to me. If you're going to style yourself a populist, you should at least be consistent about it.

Okay. I thought you were saying that people in that situation weren't allowed to have the same opportunities.

But I find one thing rather odd---you say you value equal opportunity and treatment for all, but you also spend much of your time complaining about uneducated "bogans" and how they're making life difficult for you. That term seems awfully degrading and dehumanizing to me. If you're going to style yourself a populist, you should at least be consistent about it.

Ouch. But she's right.

IMO if you're passionate about environmentalism and want to get along in such circles, it would seem that you need to make a sociopolitical adjustment and drop any and all references to class distinctions whether derogatory or not. Otherwise you're bound to get off on the wrong foot with a lot of people.

Whoa whoa whoa!!! Hold on! Sorry to get you all confused. I wasn't even trying to put a 'label' over things. What I am trying to say that is how the government control people's lives making them classified of their own intentionally. I know a lot of people who are in this position. I find them innocent enough putting themselves in this situation because they aren't financially supported enough.

I am environmentalism, but that is not the only area I focus. I also focus on improving socioeconomic factors, sustainability, economy, community welfare and that.

What I am telling you to whole point is how our nation is being governed. Its not our people fault who are putting in their situations like that.

I realize you may not have intended to come across as inconsistent, but it doesn't really change the fact that your statements thus far may create that impression. I apologize if I sounded harsh---I just take this sort of thing very seriously. Another thing I should probably mention is that it would be wise to check your posts to ensure they make sense. I don't mean to put you on the spot, but sometimes they're difficult to understand.

Well I guess I need to shut up and put me down. I just can't believe myself anymore. I have no idea why I am hurting people when I am trying my best as possible to not hurt anyone and just be nice and assertive. Oh blame this aspergers dumb thing.

I'm sure NT people will see this hurting. I have been snapped at before in familiar aspect. I don't go and say I have ASD in front of someone as first approach.

I am sick and tired being treated by NTs to disabled people. Its belting us down very bad. Unfortunately, for 2013 in Australia, suicide is in top 4 most deaths, 1% higher than alcohol and smoking! Many of school children being bullied. I am glad I didn't kill myself, despite I feel it many times but never get to that point. I was bullied so badly during high school and college. Nowadays I am being insulted by Facebook and public people about who I am and never consider me as a material person.

Its way too hard than everything else in life to get to say things right. I am struggling to get things together in words, but NTs always overboard overtalking and never get chance for me to speak the truth or an answer. Thus I am being traumatized and ineffective. Its dragging me down for everything for my effort to do things in my life. Thats why I feel such a waste of space and time.

I don't have a friend - as according to the dictionary.com in reference for the meaning. A friend to me means that I am contactable with someone to do things together. Unfortunately, I don't have that in my life. I get rejected because I have ASD and hearing aids on. What people want to see? Positive? Of course, thats what I do for living is to be positive and enjoy things for my life especially career, interests and things what I have. But every single time at my effort to do all of those things when I am at maximum happiness level I am easily get upset and depressed because people never see my joy when I am actually being enjoying!!!

What a great planet to live on!

New Threads

Top Bottom