• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Just turned 28, can't control my ADHD without meds. Help please.

UberScout

Please Don't Be Mad At Me 02/09/1996
V.I.P Member
Sorry I haven't posted any threads in a while, we"re moving into the new place tomorrow and it's hell on my ADHD. Since I recently turned 28 I have noticed I simply CANNOT stay focused unless I have one of the following:

- Coffee, with or without an espresso shot
- Red Bull or Bang energy drink.
- Any form of brain supplements or nootropics from the local pharmacy or Walmart, or wherever I can get them cheap, which is rare.
I have been trying to train myself by writing math equations and functions for fun, math is one of my favorite autistic interests, but now I can't use my brain unless one or more of the above are in play.

Pls help

Sometimes, the solution is to take the meds. Talk to a psychiatrist about a prescription for Ritalin or Adderal or whatever the current ADHD drug is. This isn't something you can "train" away.

Vyvanse recently became available as a generic. That might be the most popular stimulant at the moment. Unfortunately, where I live at least, there is a shortage on stimulants, and I stopped taking them because there were too many delays in refills, which was too erratic for me.

Some common non-pill recommendations for those who struggle with symptoms of ADHD:

-Eat plenty of protein. This ensures that you get enough phenylalanine in your diet, which converts to l-tyrosine in your body, which converts to the targets of ADHD meds: dopamine, norepinephrine, and cortisol.
-Exercise.
-Have a balanced diet that includes a wide variety of foods, such as fruits, vegetables, eggs, and nuts.
-Make sure you're getting enough sleep, generally.
-Be kind to yourself to reduce stress.

Sometimes, the solution is to take the meds. Talk to a psychiatrist about a prescription for Ritalin or Adderal or whatever the current ADHD drug is. This isn't something you can "train" away.
I thought I might get an answer like that. Thanks for the advice.

I know this is a tough one, but... have you considered toning down the caffeine & energy drinks?

The reason I say this is because, as someone who used to have way too much caffeine all the time, I know what it does to you if your levels are too high, and then suddenly you dont have any, or dont have enough. It's the addiction factor. I imagine the energy drinks are the same.

If you are used to high levels of either (or both), then anytime you're forced to go without (or forced to go very low), well, of course you're going to get into the state you describe. Because it's a really deep drop. Been there and done that myself.

The thing that finally helped for me was to tone it down. Over time (as in, this takes a few weeks), not all at once. It's not a good idea to do it all at once. When the level of these that is the "norm" for you isnt particularly high, you wont be hit nearly as hard on days when you cant get it. Stuff like that. And, the "crash" effect that goes along with caffeine and whatnot also wont hit you nearly as hard.

Though, it takes a good bit of discipline to do this, to tone it down. But it's worth doing.

Not to mention that if you keep it high for too long, you could end up with the "mega crash" as I went through. I tell you, you dont want that experience. What a bloody nightmare. Best to avoid the possibility of that one happening.

I have both types of ADHD but have never been on ADHD medication before. I am on Sertraline though, which seems to have taken the edge off the anger outbursts I used to have, and I'm scared to come off them in case I start being unable to control my anger again.

I thought I might get an answer like that. Thanks for the advice.
I mean, you're already heavily medicating yourself.

It's one of those arbitrary human things that we put stimulant medications into a schedule II category (in the US) that requires prescriptions and have other restrictions, but other addictive substances like coffee, Redbull and the likes, which are also full of crappy chemicals and sugars, do not have any restrictions. And the nootropics, well, we don't know s..t about them.

So to me, it seems like the way to go is to try different medications that could be better for you. Caffeine, besides being a stimulant, tends to mess up sleep for a lot of people. So you could try "other" medications that work better and have fewer side effects.

The other funny thing about stimulant meds is that they are abused by people without ADHD, but those with ADHD sometimes don't like to take them.

Work with somebody to switch your medications. Again, you're heavily medicating yourself already.

One of the observations that clinicians, parents, and even folks with ADHD make regarding the condition is that when playing video games, for example, the affected person can sit for hours highly focused. Which begs the question, what is it about the games that allow a person with ADHD to maintain focus? It's often how the games are designed. Rewards, consequences, and goal-setting. Frequent and repeated dopamine and serotonin hits.

Now, obviously, most of our daily living activities are not designed around a "game playing" strategy. However, there could be. Most people don't walk around with a list of tasks to check off and goals for the day. However, there could be. Most people don't have a list of short-term goals leading to long-term goals. However, there could be. Think about game design, then how can one apply these same strategies for daily life.

Interestingly, in order for productive people to be productive, for people to be high-achievers in life, it's all a game playing strategy. These people wake up with a purpose, things to do, goals to meet, etc. Now, if you're just wandering through life, with none of that, and you have an ADHD condition on top of that, well that sets you up for some disadvantages that are of your own doing.

I am not suggesting for a second that ADHD is "all in one's head" and that there is no role for medications. Nothing could be further from the truth, however, what I am suggesting is that, for some, there are daily strategies for being more productive and focused.

Last edited:
One of the observations that clinicians, parents, and even folks with ADHD make regarding the condition is that when playing video games, for example, the affected person can sit for hours highly focused. Which begs the question, what is it about the games that allow a person with ADHD to maintain focus? It's often how the games are designed. Rewards, consequences, and goal-setting. Frequent and reported dopamine and serotonin hits.
My experience with my (and I need to stress this is my own experience, I'm not suggesting anyone else experiences it in the same way) ADHD is that it is not a problem with being able to focus, but rather lack of ability to choose what the brain focuses on - I rarely get a kick out of playing games, they become more of a stim thing, I do get a kick out of my day-job though, sometimes... but I never know when. Some people have described it as having a lot of TV channels, but someone else being in control of the remote, and switching channels at random, and that is not far from how I experiences my ability to focus.
Now, obviously, most of our daily living activities are not designed around a "game playing" strategy. However, they could be. Most people don't walk around with a list of tasks to check off and goals for the day. However, they could be. Most people don't have a list of short-term goals leading to long-term goals. However, they could be. Think about game design, then how can one apply these same strategies for daily life.
This is actually what I have been taught to have, small well defined tasks - I have a list on my bulletin board (like the old style, with pins and paper), where I check each task as I go through the day, like "feed birds", "eat breakfast", .... my manger try to give me similar small well defined tasks for my job "install system A", "fix bug B23", ... and it works! (at least for me) - my problem is that I can't make those lists without help, so I get help :) tasks can have a time limit, like "sort contents of box's for 30 min" which is important as it makes starting the task easier for me, I know exactly what to do and I know after 30 min, I'll have a success, a checkmark on my list, no matter if I finished sorting the box or not - having the time limit, that I MUST obey to, also makes sure I don't spend more energy than I have, which is a real risk for me and my adhd, but that leads to burnout and days where I can't do anything.
Interestingly, in order for productive people to be productive, for people to be high-achievers in life, it's all a game playing strategy. These people wake up with a purpose, things to do, goals to meet, etc. Now, if you're just wandering through life, with none of that, and you have an ADHD condition on top of that, well that sets you up for some disadvantages that are of your own doing.
The real danger here, (whether you have adhd or not), is that being high-achiever can lead to burn out/stress, and an unhealthy lifestyle, where e.g. meals are skipped, the family don't get to see you etc.. but there is a middle ground, which I think is what you are trying to say.
I am not suggesting for a second that ADHD is "all in one's head" and that there is no role for medications. Nothing could be further from the truth, however, what I am suggesting is that, for some, there are daily strategies for being more productive and focused.
I never tried medication, energy drinks, or coffee - so can't say anything about how they would work for me. (I can't even try medication due to other health issues, and don't like the other things)

My experience with my (and I need to stress this is my own experience, I'm not suggesting anyone else experiences it in the same way) ADHD is that it is not a problem with being able to focus, but rather lack of ability to choose what the brain focuses on
Yep, Attention Deficit HD is a terribly name. It's more like attention dysregulation.

I am all with @Misery on the topic of caffeine.

As someone who has kicked thier soda addiction and drinks decaf coffee, I do not reccomend continuing on the path you are on. You body's dependence on caffeine will only increase to unreasonable heights for functioning, the more you feed it. This has nasty health affects, as you grow older.

My experience with caffeine was not great either. I used caffeine to mask my mental and emotional pain. Any time I crashed, my mental state of being crashed with it. Immediately falling into depression, HARD. There was no escaping that fact. And since then, I've found more of a reason to be happy, that doesn't involve doping up on a bunch of caffeine.

Caffeine, besides being a stimulant, tends to mess up sleep for a lot of people.
Stimulants too, very very common side effect

Sorry I haven't posted any threads in a while, we"re moving into the new place tomorrow and it's hell on my ADHD. Since I recently turned 28 I have noticed I simply CANNOT stay focused unless I have one of the following:
Have you tried behavioural approaches?

I think @Neonatal RRT has given some good insights about it. There are also a lot more, I have found more structure and using notes, calendar etc. a lot helpful.

One of the observations that clinicians, parents, and even folks with ADHD make regarding the condition is that when playing video games, for example, the affected person can sit for hours highly focused. Which begs the question, what is it about the games that allow a person with ADHD to maintain focus? It's often how the games are designed. Rewards, consequences, and goal-setting. Frequent and repeated dopamine and serotonin hits.

Now, obviously, most of our daily living activities are not designed around a "game playing" strategy. However, there could be. Most people don't walk around with a list of tasks to check off and goals for the day. However, there could be. Most people don't have a list of short-term goals leading to long-term goals. However, there could be. Think about game design, then how can one apply these same strategies for daily life.

Ooh, I've actually got something for this.

Look here: LifeUp,Upgrade Your Life - Gamify To-Do App

I experience the same problems that people with ADHD have (I actually was technically diagnosed with it but I tend to forget this fact until it's brought up. I cant focus, I cant get motivated, all of that, despite WANTING to. Particularly with some of my goals right now (I'm learning programming, art, and game design) I need to, you know, keep constant progress, but it wasnt happening and it's bloody frustrating.

My therapist suggested to me recently (as we had a session all about this) that I try to look for some way to use my phone to track activities I was doing, as maybe that could help. I discovered this app here later that day.

The entire point of the app is exactly what you described there, to give you goals (and dopamine hits) related to the things you're wanting to accomplish, while taking other things (like just sitting down and playing games) and using them as rewards or something. When you complete a task on your list, you get EXP to level up stats and get coins and such. So, it wraps everything up in video game mechanics.

So, I set it up a couple of days ago, I've got this long list of activities and tasks and such, some of which are meant to be daily, others weekly, a couple are one-time only but by a certain deadline, you can set it up for each one. Each earns different amounts of coins and different amounts/types of exp, depending on what they are and how difficult/important they are (you set that when you make them). Some require multiple steps that are tracked (like, do X 7 times in a day) and so on. And then I've got the shop filled out with things I like that work as a reward. Too much Youtube has been a problem with me for awhile, so I figured, okay, that can be one of the types of things I can put into the shop. Want to watch a long Youtube video? Dont do that unless I can buy (or craft, you can set up crafting recipes too) the related items. There's an inventory for holding things you bought or earned until you're ready to use them and you can even create lootboxes with coins or items in them. You could create items that are ONLY gotten from lootboxes or crafting, if you want to do that. For anyone who uses Tasker (which I'm not familiar with) this app can apparently connect with that, so... that's a thing? Seriously I dont know what that is, I'm new to Android. But apparently that's very exciting.

The whole thing requires a bit of setup, and it's only going to help you if you're careful about it. Like if I've got something that I set at, say, 100 coins in the shop, but then I create some really easy task and set it to give 10 bazillion coins on completion, that's going to blow the whole point of the thing. So you want to try to balance it out well, which can take a bit of finagling (and as someone with real game design experience, it really feels like that). But you can change stats/settings on any element at any time, so when you want to tweak the balance, you can do that.

One thing I did on mine (after seeing someone else do it) was that I set up a couple of items that are like "this amount of real money towards a new game". Like, I have a bad habit of just buying things at random on Steam, which is stupid on multiple levels and not too satisfying. So, here now, I wont do that until I have the required items that add up to the amount that the game I want costs. I even came up with a couple of crafting recipes that can let me turn some of the Youtube items into game-money items, and same the other way around. I'm still tweaking and balancing all of it. I've got two big game releases on Steam I'm REALLY waiting for, so that's what I'm focusing on spending coins I earn on, is to reach the right amount for both of those. Those games release in just a couple of days, can I get that much before then? I dont know, but I aint buying them until I do it.

All in all, this is going really well so far, and I'm still adding and testing things as I go. And it occurs to me, this is exactly the sort of thing that works in terms of how I do things. Like, playing something like Minecraft, I absolutely will do all sorts of really mundane tasks in that game because it is so good at creating rewards from any task you do in it (such as strip mining, that is not exactly an exciting activity but holy heck is it rewarding and satisfying in-game), so that concept really works for me with an app like this. But of course, you gotta stick with it.

This aint the only app of its type, there are others, but I like the features this one has and the way it's set up (and the fact that it's a ONE TIME PAYMENT, not some constant subscription thing like half the stuff in app stores), and the fact that it doesnt try to go with like a D & D or fantasy theme (not fond of that kind of theme). This is all the bright colors and things I like. But there are others for those who want the concept but a different theme.

Anyway, just wanted to bring that up since it's certainly an option.

Stimulants too, very very common side effect
Yep, you're correct. But one has more options to control that side effect, like switching from extended release to immediate release and carefully controlling the dosage. I can only tolerate a tiny amount of the immediate release. I can't take extended release (affects my sleep). And then there are several type of meds to try. But you're correct.

New Threads

Top Bottom