• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Just landed my first job

Dillon

last week I have applied for a job at my college campus during my time there for the fall semester. I wanted something to do especially on the weekends when most people are gone for the weekend and I will be stuck not having a car on campus, studying for exams and fishing sometimes. I couldn’t stand beingisolated on the weekends and I should’ve looked for a job during my first year.
Anyway I applied for anything available especially for the weekends so I decided working at the campus cafeteria/kitchen.
It took less than a week to hear about coming in for a job interview and I was surprised. The manager told me my resume was so good and told me I seem to have good character that he didn’t seem it was necessary to give me a long interview so he gave me the job right away. (We just talked about random fun stuff for 15 minutes). The most important thing he told me was take any opportunity like this before you start your career in the field for example marine biology telling me that a job like this will help me in my confidence and have me better prepared around people.
This will be my first paid job so far. I know I’ve volunteered on community service projects but something like this long term will change my point of view in things.
How was your first job like what the experience was? Also I have not mentioned about being on the spectrum, is it best to tell my manager about it or is it not necessary??

Last edited:
Congratulations! It's not best to tell them you're on the spectrum unless it's absolutely necessary; people who see it as anything but a problem are few and far between.

My first "real" job was at McDonald's. It was the middle of summer and all I was doing all day was putting fries in a fryer, pressing a button, and waiting. 8 hours felt like an eternity. I just refused to go back for my second day, I said "hell no, if that's life I'd rather just die now and cut out the middle man".

I wish I could say that this was a point where I got good parental advice, that would make a much better story, but the advice I got was from a book. It said basically that the first month of your job is probably going to suck, but to gut it out and you get used to it.

I took the book's advice and didn't give up. Sure enough, after a month of working it stopped being so incredibly baleful. I actually enjoyed that job after a while. I've experienced the exact same thing after starting work again after a long period of unemployment.

I guess what I'm trying to say is not to be shocked if it's rough at first. Just don't give up

:spiralshell::spoutingwhale::dolphin:~CoNgRaTuLaTiOnS~:fish::herb::tropicalfish:

My first job was at a stationary/art supply shop.

Indeed, your manager is right in regards to building confidence, and this will definitely be the case, if working under a manager who would mention that.

Something I have noticed, which happens to me in the initial days or weeks, of each job I have had - I would feel, unusually, drained towards the end of the workday, to the point I hadn't been sure if I would be able to continue at said job, but, this has never failed to pass, after, approximately, a week or two. I think it has come down to, the energy expended in learning something new, or how to do the job, while performing at our best within an unfamiliar environment and, interacting with others, which can be taxing, until we become accustomed to everything, so, if you happen to have the same experience, keep in mind that it is, likely, temporary. You are going to do great. Enjoy!

Last edited:
It's not best to tell them you're on the spectrum unless it's absolutely necessary; people who see it as anything but a problem are few and far between

For my duties on the job I know I’ll be washing dishes, loading and unloading supplies from the cargo trucks, and among other stuff related to the position. I think my deal is as I’m doing something like this I might have trouble comprehending in what the person may be asking from me unless the person explains it to me throughly in detail. usually I get right on the task at hand if explained to me pretty well.
Sometimes when someone tells me what to do I go do it but the moment I’m about to work on something I forget and have to ask what I’m I suppose to be doing again. That’s the main thing that’s bothering me but then again I shouldn’t need worry at all as long as I stay focused. Bright side I did not slip or mess up in that interview no anxiety or anything.

:spiralshell::spoutingwhale::dolphin:~CoNgRaTuLaTiOnS~:fish::herb::tropicalfish:

Indeed, your manager is right in regards to building confidence, and this will definitely be the case, if working under a manager who would mention that.

The manager did ask me if I know of any other “reliable” students looking for work on campus. For her to say when I barely know her is quite a compliment knowing I will be reliable on the job. I guess they haven’t had many trustworthy college students who knows.

Also I have not mentioned about being on the spectrum, is it best to tell my manager about it or is it not necessary??

If you can get away with it? Then do so. But just be aware that you could find yourself in a bad situation down the road if something come up at work that clashes with your being on the spectrum.

My first job was as a janitor at a truck stop. I now work as a programmer, which I like better (where’s the understatement emoji? :p)

I changed jobs a lot in my working life. I found there is always a learning curve each time you start a new job and depending it can be short or long. Mine was usually 2-6 months, depending on how complicated the job and the system I was working in. All my jobs were in social work but with different populations and in different settings and involved also different roles from therapist to deputy director of a department. Clear procedure manuals and job descriptions can help to shorten the learning curve. Without those in place the learning curve can be never ending because nothing stays the same over time.
Oh and CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Well done on going for a job and doing a great resume, and doing so well at interview too! That's awesome!

Yes think my first job was helping with mail sorting at Christmas they used to take on lots of student temps it was indeed boring and also tiring. I liked the sausage sandwiches in the canteen though and it paid well. Advantage was probably that mostly one just sorted mail into a big frame of boxes. Pulling out any that just said, Santa, North Pole. Which all used to get answered if there was a return address. Was that quite honest I ask myself?

Anyhew, I also worked in a betting shop on the counter that was scary initially as the guys all wanted to place bets fast and I wasn't so fast on the till. I worked in a café which was licensed, and we used to have to make tequila sunrises I remember so hard to get right my colleague used to say, as we surreptitiously sipped the ones she Got Wrong.... that was quite a social job, I did adequately but I wasn't confident.

Good luck, I agree you do have to persevere, there's always a mix of experiences. I am like you about needing a clear explanation of what's required. Could you take notes at first, hold a pad and ask them to slow down if they explain fast, and say something like, once I have it written I don't have to keep checking? I have to write some types of tasks down at first, then I m fine. Bet you will be too.

Well done and congratulations :)
I hope it’s enough to keep you busy and you enjoy the extra money.

My first ever job (outside of helping family out with their business) was a dog grooming parlour.

I was 16, it was a Youth Training Scheme (perhaps the equivalent of the U.Ks apprenticeship scheme now)

I got paid £28.50 a week for bathing, drying, brushing and clipping dogs all day long.
Got a city and guilds from college out of it too.
The boss dealt with the humans, I dealt with the dogs.

Try to keep the idea of your responsibilities simple. Try not to over think it.
What helps a kitchen run smoothly at busy times?

If you’re ever unsure, just ask :)

Last edited:
Well done and congratulations :)
I hope it’s enough to keep you busy and you enjoy the extra money.

My first ever job (outside of helping family out with their business) was a dog grooming parlour.

I was 16, it was a Youth Training Scheme (perhaps the equivalent of the U.Ks apprenticeship scheme now)

I got paid £28.50 a week for bathing, drying, brushing and clipping dogs all day long.
Got a city and guilds from college out of it too.
The boss dealt with the humans, I dealt with the dogs.

Try to keep the idea of your responsibilities simple. Try not to over think it.
What helps a kitchen run smoothly at busy times?

If you’re ever unsure, just ask :)

Actually we have YTS schemes in the UK, I went on one in 1995 aged 19 (so I was hardly a "Youth" IMO) and it was a waste of time, the idiot tutor delighted in regularly pointing out that I was the eldest on the course full of 16/17 year old kids from school, and all we did was play Hangman on bits of paper, when they did send us out looking for jobs, it was for pointless non jobs in the Council or wherever, althogh I did get a 4 month placement in an Oxfam Charity shop.

There is some advice I need though. I’m taking 5 college classes this semester (one being online) the four classes that I’ll be taking on campus I won’t get done most days (Mon-Thur) from 8:00 am-3:30pm. Friday’s however I get done for the day at 9:00am and during some spare time I’ll be studying and finishing up some assignments for the online class. Now this is a full time job so I don’t know how many hours they are going to have me work weekly.
The weekends I’m open anytime and I wanted to work most of the time during the weekends since I felt really isolated being in my dorm while more than half of the students were gone miles away while I have no car or any transportation to go anywhere if I wanted to. Something I don’t want to repeat which made me depressed and nerve wrecking.

Anyway my point is how would you juggle your schedule around since this will be a full time job and I don’t want it too interfere to much on my classes in possibly struggling in them. I don’t think I’ll have a problem with it but i don’t want it to come to that point.

Last edited:
I am so happy for you, Coll and working and volunteering, All of these things will give you experience you will draw on later in life.

My first Job was at McDonald's which was ok, I had issues at my second job in construction.

The guy I worked for didn't give me good direction, I always did what I was told but got the feeling the guy was getting frustrated with me. Until he blew up at me and I found out it was because I found out after I had completed a task he was expecting me to figure out what my next task was, Unfortunately, many of my life lessons were like that. I don't see it until someone is mad.

However, this was a good lesson for me I took with me wherever I went, I learned to try and figure out what I am supposed to do without being told, Sometimes that got me into trouble too, But all of these were life lessons I would take to the next chapter of my life

I think its great you did volunteer work before had to give you some experience in working with others I think that experience will help you as well

Also, I want to add, I have had many experiences with Jobs, I work for myself now, I deal with people over the phone. This is something a learned how to do through various jobs i have had, My first job at it had amazing training but it did not come naturally for me, and I my first go at it I failed horribly, But life is what life is and life events took me to many experiences that led me to get much better at it.

I probably would not have ended up where I am. However later in life when I was in a situation, I had to take a sales job later in life, I found I got good at it, Though not easy, I found it the best fit for me in the long run,

My point about it is take in all the experience you can you don't know what you will use later in life, And as far as the hard things whatever doesn't kill you will make you stronger

Last edited:
Congratulations!

My first job was helpfing friends with setup and take down for their graphic design projects when I was too young to be hired by strangers (employment laws).

My first regular job, hired by strangers, was stocking shelves in a small grocery store when I was 15. I worked 2 afternoons a week for 4 hours each shift. The people I worked with were nice, there was always a lot to do and it was a very physical job where I got to move around a lot. I ended up having to quit because I needed more time after school for homework.

Sometimes when someone tells me what to do I go do it but the moment I’m about to work on something I forget and have to ask what I’m I suppose to be doing again

Carry a notebook and a pen with you at all times, and write down instructions. Most people are accomodating about slowing down instructions so you can write them down if you explain you have problems remembering otherwise.

Anyway my point is how would you juggle your schedule around since this will be a full time job and I don’t want it too interfere to much on my classes in possibly struggling in them. I don’t think I’ll have a problem with it but i don’t want it to come to that point.

I can't advise you much on this except to say it is a very individual thing. How much time you need for studying is an individual thing....when I was in post-secondary I couldn't even manage a 60% plus part-time work (I could only do a 60% courseload if that's all I had to do). It was one or the other for me.

Think about how many hours you study right now, and how many hours you use each day for self-care tasks and use that information to plan out your non-work/non-class time in hourly blocks. Start timing your activities and write down the time for each activity in a little book, if you have to (that's the only way I know how long I take to do anything, since I generally pay no attention to time and have very little sense of it).

Congrats. Always good to hear of fellow Aspies getting work. Wishing you all the best in your job. I'm sure you'll do fine.

I can't advise you much on this except to say it is a very individual thing. How much time you need for studying is an individual thing....when I was in post-secondary I couldn't even manage a 60% plus part-time work (I could only do a 60% courseload if that's all I had to do). It was one or the other for me.

Think about how many hours you study right now, and how many hours you use each day for self-care tasks and use that information to plan out your non-work/non-class time in hourly blocks. Start timing your activities and write down the time for each activity in a little book, if you have to (that's the only way I know how long I take to do anything, since I generally pay no attention to time and have very little sense of it).

I’m thinking about using one of those notebook planner calanders way more often than I use to and do a timely schedule of things that way I won’t be so tripped up over school and work at the same time. I could use a calander app on my phone but it’s better to write things down for me.
All In all, I really bet I can manage both pretty well for a real paying job. They told me they may not keep me at work full time anyway cause of studying for exams and what not.

Oh I forgot to mention since I’ll have an income I get to experience the joy of filing those taxes for the first time :/
( not looking forward to that)

last week I have applied for a job at my college campus during my time there for the fall semester. I wanted something to do especially on the weekends when most people are gone for the weekend and I will be stuck not having a car on campus, studying for exams and fishing sometimes. I couldn’t stand beingisolated on the weekends and I should’ve looked for a job during my first year.
Anyway I applied for anything available especially for the weekends so I decided working at the campus cafeteria/kitchen.
It took less than a week to hear about coming in for a job interview and I was surprised. The manager told me my resume was so good and told me I seem to have good character that he didn’t seem it was nesesary to give me a long interview so he gave me the job right away. (We just talked about random fun stuff for 15 minutes). The most important thing he told me was take any opportunity like this before you start your career in the field for example marine biology telling me that a job like this will help me in my confidence and have me better prepared around people.
This will be my first paid job so far. I know I’ve volunteered on community service projects but something like this long term will change my point of view in things.
How was your first job like what the experience was? Also I have not mentioned about being on the spectrum, is it best to tell my manager about it or is it not necessary??

It sounds like you've got a great manager so that should make your first experience better. My first work experience was miserable. I worked at McDonald's when I was 15 years old. I hated every minute of it. There was so much to keep track of and do. The customers are rude and impatient. The managers are lazy. Everything about that job was just awful.

It sounds like you've got a great manager so that should make your first experience better. My first work experience was miserable. I worked at McDonald's when I was 15 years old. I hated every minute of it. There was so much to keep track of and do. The customers are rude and impatient. The managers are lazy. Everything about that job was just awful.
My manager so far seems good to me but It can turn around negatively or positively either way. I’m expecting to turn out pretty well overall though since I know what the establishment is like as well as the employees while attending campus for the first year.

I’m not surprised in how rude people are. The worst part when I did some volunteer work was and still is dealing with the public knowing how customers can be having a lack of respect and such. I’ve dealt with it and it is not fun at all to the point i feel like i want to be in tears, upset but I try the best not to.

Last edited:
My first job if you exclude paper routes was working back shift at a gas station. My stepfather was the manager and my mother the assistant manager, so that's how I got that job....it wasn't amazing, especially in the winter, but it was at night so it was usually quiet which I liked, and it was a lot of repetitive tasks, which I also liked. Plus I've always really liked the smell of gasoline. The people I had to interact with for the most part weren't interested in chatting, because it was late night/early morning, and the people that did want to chat were generally drunk and I didn't have to do much of the talking, so that was good too. Honestly, the worst part about it was that I worked for my parents.

I will say, I worked in the restaurant industry for several years, even working up to head cook and kitchen manager at one restaurant, and they were my favorite jobs. If the compensation had been better I would have stuck with it. I still miss it and probably always will. Cooking is one of my passions. It's both ordered and creative, it's art and it's numbers, it's colors and textures and symmetry. It was perfect for me.

I think unless you think it will be problematic at this job, there's no reason to mention you're on the spectrum.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom