• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Just got diagnosed

star.stuff

Hi all,

I just got off the phone with the psychologist who did my neuropsych evaluation. It’s official - I am autistic!

She said there was a big discrepancy between my verbal (strong) and non verbal (very weak) abilities. My working memory was very poor, processing speed difficulties, and executive dysfunction. I told her how surprising this was to me because I’ve always been an A+ student, have a masters degree, and never had any trouble in school. But she said in school mostly everything is written down, plus these results have nothing to do with intelligence just the way your brain takes in and processes information.

I don’t really know how I feel right now. I am still processing this diagnosis (hello slow processing speed ). I think for now I just feel relieved and proud of who I am. I know what my strengths are, and now I know where my difficulties truly stem from. I am not weird, I am not broken, there is nothing wrong with me. I was not inept as a child when I couldn’t make friends, I was just on a different wavelength as most of the kids. I am not stupid because I can’t comprehend when my boss throws a million verbal instructions at me - I just need her to email it instead. I feel like I’ve gained a new appreciation for myself for navigating life so successfully even though I’ve been undiagnosed and never got any of the accommodations that probably would have helped me throughout school (I am 26.)

Wow!! What a lot to take in and think about. The psychologist will set me up with a therapist who I can talk to and figure out what steps I want to take at work and in my relationships and what would be most helpful for me.

Thank you if you’ve read my rant and sorry it’s so long, I’m just so overwhelmed right now!

I asked my wife to do that.

Let's call it 'a mistake' :)

Welcome

I had a boss that used to like to bark out half a dozen questions at once. I just used to tune out and wait till the end and say 'Ok, which one do you want me to answer first?'

Welcome to the Forums! I hope you make new friends and enjoy your stay in the process! :)

New Threads

Top Bottom