• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Jobs and Careers for People with Asperger's Syndrome

InfinityRose

Hi! I'm pretty new here, but would like advice for something I've been thinking about a lot lately. I've been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome when I was very young, but still struggle to understand myself and the world around me sometimes. I want to eventually get a job that I can excel in and that makes a steady income, but I don't quite know what that would be.

When people talk about good jobs for Aspies, I notice it's usually something to do with computers. However, I have very few computer skills aside from the basics (Microsoft, Google, etc), so that's not a great option for me. Another problem I have that seems to be common with Aspies is that I have a hard time working with people, especially when I'm expected to approach them directly or deal with them during potentially emotional or stressful situations.

I'm currently studying Biology because it seems like a field of study that's somewhat practical, and it's a subject I'm decent in. But, I know it's not my true passion. The one thing I do really enjoy is writing, particularly fiction, but I know that's not exactly a career that can be counted on to make money. Any suggestions for possible careers?

Last edited:
welcome.png

The one thing I do really enjoy is writing, particularly fiction, but I know that's not exactly a career that can be counted on to make money.

Actually, there's never been a better time to be a writer than now.

You can write books, build a fan base, and publish your stuff yourself. I've done it, and I am building it towards a living.

So it is definitely worth pursuing!

Actually, there's never been a better time to be a writer than now.

You can write books, build a fan base, and publish your stuff yourself. I've done it, and I am building it towards a living.

So it is definitely worth pursuing!

Do you know if there's a major that can help me sharpen my writing skills and learn how to make a career with it? I'm in college right now, and if I can find something that better relates to what I want to do than Biology, then I'd be all for it. I'm just nervous about switching to something like English because I've heard that it's very hard to find a job with an English degree, and I'd like a backup plan in case I never become a successful writer. Any info you have would be super helpful.:)

Hi! I'm pretty new here, but would like advice for something I've been thinking about a lot lately. I've been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome when I was very young, but still struggle to understand myself and the world around me sometimes. I want to eventually get a job that I can excel in and that makes a steady income, but I don't quite know what that would be.

When people talk about good jobs for Aspies, I notice it's usually something to do with computers. However, I have very few computer skills aside from the basics (Microsoft, Google, etc), so that's not a great option for me. Another problem I have that seems to be common with Aspies is that I have a hard time working with people, especially when I'm expected to approach them directly or deal with them during potentially emotional or stressful situations.

I'm currently studying Biology because it seems like a field of study that's somewhat practical, and it's a subject I'm decent in. But, I know it's not my true passion. The one thing I do really enjoy is writing, particularly fiction, but I know that's not exactly a career that can be counted on to make money. Any suggestions for possible careers?

Hi InfinityRose

I write bus timetables for a living and a lot of passengers consider them to be works of fiction! Don't have to deal with many people which is good but there is a lot of computer work so may not be exactly right for you unless you can find a way of improving your skills in this way - it will open up more options and there are plenty of computer based jobs which only require minimal interaction with others.

If you enjoy writing you can also do scicomm with a Biology degree. There are plenty of science magazines, newspapers and other media that can use writers who also have a good understanding of science topics. It's not something that will make you a millionaire, but with work you could certainly make a living.

What kind of fiction are you interested in? Romance, science fiction, literary?

I guess it kind of varies? Most of the things I've written so far have been focused on the relationships between families and friends. I have written a little bit of romance too, but not much.

If you enjoy writing you can also do scicomm with a Biology degree. There are plenty of science magazines, newspapers and other media that can use writers who also have a good understanding of science topics. It's not something that will make you a millionaire, but with work you could certainly make a living.

Thank you for the suggestion! I'm not sure if that's exactly the career I'm looking for, but I'll definitely check into it. :)

I guess it kind of varies? Most of the things I've written so far have been focused on the relationships between families and friends. I have written a little bit of romance too, but not much.

If you are interested in literary fiction, there is a Master of Fine Arts degree which might be worth it, since this is about writing, getting your stuff critiqued, and developing your skills. It also creates a space where your work gets noticed and you can network with less effort; an important step in that field.

However, as far as I can discern, it is of less utility in other genres. And learning to write is something where practice, and reading, can do the most for you.

I agree with this blog post:

The five best books on writing

If the biology degree interests you, take it; if not, maybe switch to a Communications major with a science minor? Because non-fiction writing is more employable, and develops your wordsmithing. Technical writing can be a valuable skill. You can make a living AND develop some of your fiction muscles.

At the moment, I am making a living with my non-fiction writing skills and planning a fiction series. The fan base for some of my non-fiction will serve as a launching platform for my fiction.

The Writing Life is always going to need a source of income before you sell writing, and during, and even after. Think of it as a source of independence that will give you the support to develop your favorite form of writing without pressure or imagined market considerations.

The best advice I have to offer is what has helped me: the Joseph Campbell directive of Follow your bliss. Craft a career based on the intersections of what you like and what you can do well, and then you will be employable.

For example, when I was first choosing a major, I was drawn to journalism and law. They were considered to be very "employable" majors, too. But they were overwhelmingly popular at that time because of that; and now, they are overwhelmingly un-employable because of changes in society.

So don't choose because of what society might think when you are choosing a major. Rely on yourself; your talents, your likes and dislikes. It's a much more reliable basis for choosing.

If you are interested in literary fiction, there is a Master of Fine Arts degree which might be worth it, since this is about writing, getting your stuff critiqued, and developing your skills. It also creates a space where your work gets noticed and you can network with less effort; an important step in that field.

However, as far as I can discern, it is of less utility in other genres. And learning to write is something where practice, and reading, can do the most for you.

I agree with this blog post:

The five best books on writing

If the biology degree interests you, take it; if not, maybe switch to a Communications major with a science minor? Because non-fiction writing is more employable, and develops your wordsmithing. Technical writing can be a valuable skill. You can make a living AND develop some of your fiction muscles.

At the moment, I am making a living with my non-fiction writing skills and planning a fiction series. The fan base for some of my non-fiction will serve as a launching platform for my fiction.

The Writing Life is always going to need a source of income before you sell writing, and during, and even after. Think of it as a source of independence that will give you the support to develop your favorite form of writing without pressure or imagined market considerations.

The best advice I have to offer is what has helped me: the Joseph Campbell directive of Follow your bliss. Craft a career based on the intersections of what you like and what you can do well, and then you will be employable.

For example, when I was first choosing a major, I was drawn to journalism and law. They were considered to be very "employable" majors, too. But they were overwhelmingly popular at that time because of that; and now, they are overwhelmingly un-employable because of changes in society.

So don't choose because of what society might think when you are choosing a major. Rely on yourself; your talents, your likes and dislikes. It's a much more reliable basis for choosing.

Wow, thank you so much! I do admit that I can sometimes be influenced to do what society deems appropriate, even when something else would be a better fit for me. Especially right now since a lot of people act like STEM majors are the only ones that are worthwhile and I don't want to get a "useless" degree. I do like Biology, or at least I used to, but I don't think I like it enough to want to do it forever. At this point in my life, I love writing and want to pursue it, but I'm afraid I'm going to eventually change my mind or find out that I don't have what it takes to become successful. I've only been writing for a year and my longest story to date is only about 20K words, so I don't have a ton of experience yet. So I think that's another reason that I'm kind of stuck on Biology, I guess. Do you know what the job outlook for a communications major is, by any chance? Or do you think that Biology would be better if I was going to find a technical writing job, since I'd have training in something specific? I don't know if I'd be able to have both a major and minor at this point, because I'm already behind on where I'm supposed to be for my degree.

First of all, we don't do things forever anymore. Our world is moving so fast that is not a worry. Which is why I emphasize that people pick something they like; it can usually be a basis for pivoting to something else if they stay sufficiently flexible.

Maybe you could take a communications class as one of your electives and see what you think of it? You can also talk to your professors in such classes (even if you don't take their class) about what the job prospects are, different uses for what you would be learning, etc. Ask them what classes they would recommend for someone who is interested in writing, just as you told me.

I can tall you that writing clearly and concisely, to deadline as needed, is a rare and valuable skill. Whatever you combine with it, and however you express it, it is something worth concentrating on; whether it stays a lifelong passion, or not.

New Threads

Top Bottom