• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is my Aspieness showing--Solitaire?

Aspieistj

I love to play Solitaire--the original, simple game. Once it became available online I began to play many games daily. It is a rather mindless pursuit but it is a pleasant way for me to pass time. My personal quirk: When Kings become available face up I try to arrange them in a row with suit colors alternating. I do believe this is a real waste of time but I can hardly help myself.

I don't think it's necessarily an Aspie thing. I've always liked Solitaire and I spent most of my life unaware of my AS.

Maybe so, but what I meant was that I don't think liking the occasional game of Solitaire is an indicator of ASD. Now, if it were one of my obsessions, that would probably be a different story.

When Kings become available face up I try to arrange them in a row with suit colors alternating. I do believe this is a real waste of time but I can hardly help myself.

Makes sense. Alternating suit colors establish a kind of balance and symmetry. Welcome to my world.

But I don't think we're talking about Aspergers. ;)

Do you arrange books in a bookcase in any particular order?

No, I shove them in with the only consideration regarding unusual sizes that I don't want to fall out, or huge books that need to lay flat. I don't care if various foods on my plate touch. I am not frantic to keep paper money in order in my wallet. Solitaire is my only "matchy" compulsion.

Whenever I have more than a bill or two in my wallet I always arrange it by amount and make sure they are all facing the same way.. I also will arrange by type as in old 100's together, new 100s etc.. I never thought that was an aspie thing though I like to keep my money in order is all but who knows I guess.

I think different aspies has different obsessions, I, for instance, always look at the coins I receive, I like how shiny some are, so I simply look and if they are shiny they go to a different pocket. If this is an obsession of yours, I mean, you feel like you can't stop doing it (it's painful for me to use those shiny coins, actually I never use them) then it's probably something related to your aspieness

I have my own solitaire quirk. I need at least one ace before I draw the first card from the deck (not counting setup) or else I start a new game

I remember getting lost in the game for hours on end; whether with physical cards or on the computer. It's the whole patterns thing, I think.

It's the whole patterns thing, I think.

Point taken.

In my case when I see patterns it isn't enough just to observe them. I have to assess them. Analyze them. Put them into some kind of perspective and them draw a logical and useful conclusion. That's my Aspieness, opposed to my OCD. I used to think this was a "special gift" I had. Now I just see it as just a mere trait.

New Threads

Top Bottom