• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is it possible to be addicted to video games?

Progster

Grown sideways to the sun
V.I.P Member
This morning the mother of one of my students phoned me and told me that she was angry and worried about her son, because he was spending all his free time playing video games, and staying up all night to play on school days, not studying for school and getting poor grades. I suggested that they should not allow him to use the computer until he finished his homework or studying, but his mum says that this doesn't work because he screams and shouts whenever she tries to restrict him, and that she thinks that he is addicted to video games.

She phoned me for advice, but I really don't know what to say. Is it even possible to be addicted to video games, or is it a matter of self-discipline and organisation?

What is clear to me, however, is that unless the student (14 years old) acknowledges that he needs to spend more time on his school work and restrict the number of hours he spends playing, then it's a really tough situation that isn't going to be solved soon. Has anyone any suggestions? Has anyone been either in the position of the student, and how did you deal with it? Has anyone been in the position of the parent, and how did you deal with it?

It's possible to be psychologically addicted to anything.

Video games are immersive escapism, and for a teenage boy it may be better than real life seems to be. I found it hard to manage video games and books when I was a kid.

It may also be that games are his way of dealing with a problem, rather than the root cause themselves.

I have no advice though.

Yes, I spent YEARS playing video games and it was as strong as any other addiction I ever had. Thankfully one day I just got tired of it and for the most part quit.

Of course, I've been addicted to computers generally since I was introduced at the age of 10 in 1979, I spent a lot of time programming when I was younger and studying how they worked, but I also used to get addicted to games, especially when I eventually got a Commodore 64 in 1983, I could spend many hours playing games non stop day after day during the school holidays, and even on school days I'd often spend every possible minute on them and my homework would suffer. Since my special interest was/is computers however and not just playing games, I did sometimes break to do other things other than just play them, I was one of the early pioneers of making cheats for games, E.g. infinite lives or God mode, I was printed on various occasions in an extremely popular Commodore 64 gaming magazine at the time in the UK called Zzap!64. I also wrote some of my own games, although all the companies I sent them off to wouldn't look at me until I was 18 years old when it was too late to make a lot of money writing games on your own even though I still got a couple marketed.

Computer games are known to be addictive and they can become an issue even for some NTs, especially children, so many autistic people with addictive personalities and special interests simply don't have a chance and in some ways it's even worse these days with portable gaming even on smart phones.

In the UK there's a company who provide addiction treatment even for computer games, I strongly suspect they're not cheap, but it shows how serious the problem is with some people, the site also details a lot more about gaming addiction and even the signs to look out for:

Gaming Addiction - UK Addiction Treatment Centres

The above site also claims, "Some addiction experts have suggested that playing games is more addictive to the gaming addict than cocaine or heroin is to the drug addict. This makes a lot of sense when you consider the reward mechanism attached to addiction.".

PS: Even as a 48 year old adult I can still spend many many hours playing computer games, I can have breaks easier than I could when I was younger, but I'm still always doing something on my PC at virtually every spare moment.

Last edited:
Thanks for your answers so far. So it is possible to be addicted to video games, his mum is probably right. @AGXStarseed and @pjcnet , thank you for the links. I shall pass them on to the student's mum.

It may also be that games are his way of dealing with a problem, rather than the root cause themselves.
Yes, this might be the case, as his parents put a lot of pressure on him to study and achieve academically.

Ah, is this another of these parents? Ignoring the kid until the problem grows too big to continue to do so?

I used to be addicted to games as well. It was and still is, although in a much smaller scale, a form of escapism along with books. If they start to spy on him with a camera, it's going to create a huge rift between the kid and the mother. He'll probably start looking for a new place and new way to play games and isolate himself even more from his parents. I know the younger me definitely would, along with angry disregard of any authrity the parent may think they have.

One, his escapism is not a root of the problem.
Two, it's too late for quick fixes.
Three, maybe it's time to become a responsible parent.

The kid needs attention, understanding, patience(and a lot of it) and rules put in place. He's in the best case spoilt and emotionally(or more) neglected in the worst. Above all, however, consequence.

For sure. I had a serious addiction to World of Warcraft. Haven’t played for years and a part of me is curious to see what the game is like now, but I’m scared to pick the game up again because I don’t think I can just play casually.

Yes, it’s a real addiction and they are thinking of adding it to a future DSM. Video game addiction is very rampant around the world. There was even a documented case in South Korea, where a young couple let their real life baby starve to death, while they went to the video game parlor for 14 hours per day over several months. The kicker is that they were playing a game where you keep a tiny baby and grow it up! Truth is stranger than fiction.

Young adults in several documented cases have been found dead of aneurisms (blood clots) due to sitting in a chair for 3 days straight playing videos.

It’s as big an addiction as gambling, drugs, or any other, and it is affecting young teens. I am always shocked to see parents give their infants cell phones to quiet them when in restaurants. The parents sit on their own cell phones, and don’t pay any attention to the baby, who is transfixed by the weird sounds coming out of the game apps. Instant gratification, and instant “friend.” It’s starting the potential addiction from day one.

The parent must remove the technology. End of story. Sooner or later, the kid will tire himself out. He needs therapy, in fact the whole family should get treatment. This is a family issue, because the problem was started in the home by the family, not the kid. So we cannot lay all of the responsibilities of change solely on the teenager. It’s just as much fault of the mother’s/ rest of family.

The video games can be used as a reward for doing x amount hours of homework. Maybe only for 2 hours each week on the weekend. Or, 1/2 hour in the evening after homework is done. But it sounds like the situation has gone way to far now, and that’s why outside help is needed.

One client I worked with had a self diagnosed video game addiction. He decided he could not have any game system in his apartment. He got rid of it all. Now, if he wants to play a game, he will go to a friend’s house for one hour or two and play there. He no long spends multiple days on end staring at a screen and avoiding life.

Last edited:
The parent must remove the technology. End of story. Sooner or later, the kid will tire himself out. He needs therapy, in fact the whole family should get treatment. This is a family issue, because the problem was started in the home by the family, not the kid. So we cannot lay all of the responsibilities of change solely on the teenager. It’s just as much fault of the mother’s/ rest of family.

Could be dangerous.

If my books and video games had been removed I'd have exploded.

Teenage years were awful as they were, and escapism kept me from going wilder than I did.

Could be dangerous.

If my books and video games had been removed I'd have exploded.

Teenage years were awful as they were, and escapism kept me from going wilder than I did.

Yeah, the violence and meltdowns that I have witnessed of kids with autism positively frightens me. Always will.

I always turned my anger on myself. Lots of scars on the arms.

I've been addicted to gaming for over 30 years.

Right since I started on the ZX Spectrum in the early 80's through to the Xbox now and various consoles and other systems in between.

Although some people take it to extreme IMO, and start copying violent video games such as Grand Theft Auto, Google knows everything about cases of kids killing their siblings copying wrestling moves from games, or killing their siblings by copying other more violent games.

I've been addicted to gaming for over 30 years.

Right since I started on the ZX Spectrum in the early 80's through to the Xbox now and various consoles and other systems in between.

Although some people take it to extreme IMO, and start copying violent video games such as Grand Theft Auto, Google knows everything about cases of kids killing their siblings copying wrestling moves from games, or killing their siblings by copying other more violent games.

The problem is that they are so addictive you play them for some many hours, they can start colouring reality.

I remember playing games all day and then into the night and then dreaming about them, and thinking about them all the next day.

I think they speak to a deeper part of the brain that's more primal than our new fangled fancy cerebellum.

The part of our brain that would rather be stabbing animals in the woods and eating them, than studying philosophy.

We've stopped acting like animals so we can build society, but it's not hard for entertainment to talk to the old parts. They are still there, we've just forgotten about them.

It's a pity there wasn't a lot more enjoyable educational games that are at least more beneficial for people that are addicted to video games, most educational games are however often boring, massively inferior and they usually feel like a chore, rather than something that is truly enjoyable.

If you wanted to learn Japanese there's the following:

Learn Japanese To Survive! Hiragana Battle on Steam
Learn Japanese To Survive! Katakana War on Steam

The graphics still aren't up to AAA standard and are rather dated, but at least they've made an effort to make a fairly interesting RPG story where you need to remember Japanese to defeat the enemies. Why can't there be a lot more games like this or even better that really are actually enjoyable to play, especially for children? Imagine games with graphics as good as the latest Call of Duty or Grand Theft Auto that are also truly educational, but unfortunately they don't see it as feasible for such a huge budget and only a few smaller developers will attempt such titles. Governments should at least give tax perks for software companies that produce truly educational titles.

Yes, it’s a real addiction and they are thinking of adding it to a future DSM. Video game addiction is very rampant around the world. There was even a documented case in South Korea, where a young couple let their real life baby starve to death, while they went to the video game parlor for 14 hours per day over several months. The kicker is that they were playing a game where you keep a tiny baby and grow it up! Truth is stranger than fiction.

Young adults in several documented cases have been found dead of aneurisms (blood clots) due to sitting in a chair for 3 days straight playing videos.

It’s as big an addiction as gambling, drugs, or any other, and it is affecting young teens. I am always shocked to see parents give their infants cell phones to quiet them when in restaurants. The parents sit on their own cell phones, and don’t pay any attention to the baby, who is transfixed by the weird sounds coming out of the game apps. Instant gratification, and instant “friend.” It’s starting the potential addiction from day one.
I agree that video games can be a huge addiction and that is can become detrimental, but there's still a massive difference between drug abuse and video game addiction. The example you gave was an extreme case, but there's many thousands of drug abusers who are unfit parents and abuse them by not caring for them properly, many children are sadly taken in care which is often not much better in my opinion, but many are also still left with parents who will always put their drug habit above anything including their children.

I believe that video games in moderation don't cause any harm, it's not something that should be demonised as totally bad so children or adults are denied from playing them, but all drug misuse is in my opinion harmful and more often leads onto a much more serious addiction. People addicted to video games are not always unhappy, many don't mind and enjoy playing them, it is a problem when other things suffer in their life, but there's rarely an agonising downside like with drug misuse. People addicted to drugs however are only "happy" during the highs and there's a lot more downsides, especially in the long run, plus they can be addictive to the extent where an average person would do virtually anything to obtain them out of total utter desperation because the withdrawal is literally agonising both physically and/or psychologically, for this reason drug abuse causes a very high proportion of serious crime in order to pay for expensive drug habits, where video game addiction doesn't (apart from maybe piracy). People's bodies get used to drugs and eventually drug abusers end up taking them just to feel normal, when it gets to that stage there's no real upside. A person can die from taking a drug overdose or even a bad hit, this definitely isn't the case when you decide to play a computer game. I write from experience of both video game addiction and past hard drug misuse (I've been clean over 15 years), if I had the choice of being addicted to computer games or hard drugs, I wouldn't even need to think about it, I still play computer games far too much now, but it doesn't even bother me and I enjoy them.

With any addiction however it's almost impossible to help a person that doesn't want to be helped, since many people addicted to computer games don't see any problem with it and are often even content with it, it makes helping them much more difficult and denying them from their addiction will only cause severe bad feeling and issues. Remember however that computer game addiction is only really an issue if it becomes detrimental to other things in life, enjoying them a few hours a day doesn't really hurt a person if they still do everything else expected of them so people also shouldn't overreact, in many cases it's no worse in my opinion than sitting watching TV which lots of people have done for many hours a week even before video games even existed. A large proportion of drug abusers however understand the misery of it when it's too late and they wish they were strong enough to come off them, this opens the door to possibly helping them.

Last edited:
Why deal with life and wait for it when you can get what you want instead from a video game instead?

I know all too well about this. I've already taken note of the links @AGXStarseed posted, and I can confirm the escapism and instant gratification, among many reasons.

Absolutely.

Does Video Game Addiction Really Exist?

Whatever attraction I once had to video games was greatly diminished in perhaps one of the oddest of ways. Finding work at an entertainment software publisher in Silicon Valley. Where I worked primarily in the marketing department as a website designer. Where it was instilled into me that this was strictly business. One designed to reward the shareholders- not the customers buying the products.

Where a buggy product would hit the market with the intent of meeting quarterly expectations and pacifying shareholders while holding off angry gamers through a deliberate and incremental series of software patches. Compounding it all with developers who design PC games where optimal gameplay requires the most robust hardware systems. Upgrade your hardware or remain frustrated. :rolleyes:

A scenario which quickly made me realize that the customer was not always right, but in fact barely even on their corporate radar. I still recall a conversation with the public relations manager about rebates. I actually bought one of the company's products and the PR manager just laughed. Assuming I'd never get my rebate, as if it was designed that way. Though in point of fact I did get my rebate. But damn...her reaction to it didn't endear me to the brand name at all! :eek:

While I loved my job designing and maintaining websites about the products developed, I never again felt quite the same about video games themselves.

Last edited:
It's a pity there wasn't a lot more enjoyable educational games that are at least more beneficial for people that are addicted to video games, most educational games are however often boring, massively inferior and they usually feel like a chore, rather than something that is truly enjoyable.

If you wanted to learn Japanese there's the following:

Learn Japanese To Survive! Hiragana Battle on Steam
Learn Japanese To Survive! Katakana War on Steam

The graphics still aren't up to AAA standard and are rather dated, but at least they've made an effort to make a fairly interesting RPG story where you need to remember Japanese to defeat the enemies. Why can't there be a lot more games like this or even better that really are actually enjoyable to play, especially for children? Imagine games with graphics as good as the latest Call of Duty or Grand Theft Auto that were actually truly educational, but unfortunately they don't see it as feasible for such a huge budget and only a few smaller developers will attempt such titles. Governments should at least give tax perks for software companies that produce truly educations titles.

It goes with the old saying "Why can't vegetables taste like candy.". It's too bad that there are not any really good education based video game titles out there. There was one educational based video game title out there that I really got addicted to when I was a kid. It's was called "Mission algebra". It came out in the 80's for the Apple II computer. If you want to try it. here's the link. Just remember to not get addicted to it like I did.
Mission: Algebra (4am crack) : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

I agree with @Full Steam - it's possible to be addicted to anything. To identify addiction, look for these signs:

Consequences - undesirable consequences naturally occurring (not artificially imposed) as a result of the behavior.
Obsession - When not engaged in the behavior, constantly thinking about it.
Isolation - Withdrawing from social contact because of involvement in the behavior or deliberately seeking to be alone to engage in the behavior.
Loss of Control - Inability to moderate one's own behavior.
Secrecy. Hiding the behavior from others, for fear of being being judged, punished, or made to stop.

I heard about these signs on a talk show over a decade ago. I reordered them and labeled them the "C.O.I.L.S of addiction" to make them easier for me to remember.

New Threads

Top Bottom