• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is it fun, easy, hard or "it depends" to be with other aspies?

Is it fun, easy, hard or "it depends" to be with other aspies?

• Fun

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Easy

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Hard

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • It depends about the person...

Votes: 22 66.7%
  • I dont know?

Votes: 9 27.3%

• Total voters
Do you go to that website where it show's all the funny images?

People in the area,obviously find out where the google car is going to be.

They then dress up and you see the images of these guys in scuba diving gear, wearing horse-heads etc

I think I did see that site once, although I'm not sure.

I just googled "google street view funny" and some concerning and creepy stuff showed up. Some of these are going to give me nightmares.

I lean quite strongly towards the "fun" and "easy" direction. Unbeknownst to any of us when we met, my two best friends and I later discovered we're all on the spectrum. Most other people don't get us, but we get each other. And we're talking 20 year friendships here. Each of us have difficulty making/maintaining other friendships.

While yes, the people involved matters... that's a pointless qualifier IMO, because that's always the case in all relationships. This is a broad strokes question, and my broad strokes answer is that NTs are better with NTs and NDs are better with NDs. Not to say there aren't plenty exceptions. Its just that its easier to identify with people like yourself. That's a general rule in life.

I can also tell you my natural "fit" in this community, and the sense that I can be my true unfiltered self and actually be understood is a first for me, and completely liberating.

Well, I don't know but there aren't many regular forum thread contributors at all. There seems to be far less than 100. So I'm going by the very small sample of regular and semi-regular posters. In that case, I'd change the percentages to 93/6/1. But if a lot more contribute, that percentage will definitely change.

I think you'd be in the 93% for now. I highly doubt you'd be in the 1%. Maybe this is just a forum persona and in real life you'd be in the 1% :eek: lol

I thought way too hard and unnecessarily about this.

I enjoyed how seriously you took it, but maybe that's just because it's what I did. :D And no, I'm exactly the same in person, to the point where many people have said they keep hearing everything I say in my voice because it's so exactly like what I'd say in person. :eek:

Most of the things I was imagining when I put me in the lower percents was stuff that people here would be more accepting of, such as saying "inappropriate things" in public or to strangers.

Some people are embarrassed just because at every restaurant which includes a waiter, my first question is to yell (according to them), "Do you have chocolate milk?"

But when you said "want nothing to do with," you probably meant something other than yelling about chocolate milk. Maybe. :p

Last edited:
I enjoyed how seriously you took, but maybe that's just because it's what I did. :D And no, I'm exactly the same in person, to the point where many people have said they keep hearing everything I say in my voice because it's so exactly like what I'd say in person. :eek:

Most of the things I was imagining when I put me in the lower percents was stuff that people here would be more accepting of, such as saying "inappropriate things" in public or to strangers.

Some people are embarrassed just at every restaurant which includes a waiter, my first question is to yell (according to them), "Do you have chocolate milk?"

But when you said "want nothing to do with," you probably meant something other than yelling about chocolate milk. Maybe. :p

OK well then I'd probably get along with you in real life.

The 1% has very different worldviews and conflicting personalities from mine. I'm very non-conformist, anti-authoritarian, anti-oppression, super moral and extremely logical.

I don't mind anyone yell-asking for chocolate milk at a restaurant, or saying weird stuff. As long they're not harming anyone, I don't care how weird they are. :) I actually prefer weird. I don't take myself seriously at all, I'm self-deprecating, and I have a bizarre sense of humor. It's my way of getting through the difficulties of life.

OK well then I'd probably get along with you in real life.

The 1% has very different worldviews and conflicting personalities from mine. I'm very non-conformist, anti-authoritarian, anti-oppression, super moral and extremely logical.

I don't mind anyone yell-asking for chocolate milk at a restaurant, or saying weird stuff. As long they're not harming anyone, I don't care how weird they are. :) I actually prefer weird. I don't take myself seriously at all, I'm self-deprecating, and I have a bizarre sense of humor. It's my way of getting through the difficulties of life.

"Yell-asking"! That's awesome! I don't think I've heard it. :D

Oh wow I'm obsessed with google maps too. I once spent several hours a few months ago looking at street views from many different corners of the world LOL
This IS exciting. I remember doing sortly this when Periscope was a big hit. Watching livestreams around the globe. Russia had the weirdest of parties.

I get along with OCD people, but l am not full-blown OCD, but l can accept them, so l guess l have to over analyze this and say it depends on what other traits they have?

I can also tell you my natural "fit" in this community, and the sense that I can be my true unfiltered self and actually be understood is a first for me, and completely libe
Great to hear:)

My problem is that English is not my native tongue so I sometimes have problems to express my thoughts. But still this is byfar the best ASD forum I have found online. <3

There is a study on this very subject entitled "Diversity in social intelligence" currently ongoing, some details of which can be found here:
Diversity in Social Intelligence

Interesting idea, but I can't help but wonder what sort of qualitative language they're applying to their assessment. They aren't putting many cards on the table here and expecting you to accept their conclusions which are broadly displayed. In fairness, they are saying that much of this is preliminary. That said, the methodology can be, and should be, clearly outlined at that stage. Especially if publishing results.

In this sort of study there are many variables which are difficult to control. I'd be interested in seeing how they are attempting to do that. They don't really address any of that anywhere. These are interesting questions but I think the soft sciences would be better served in general if they at least attempted to take a hard approach. I get the impression that they're going to get the result they set out to get. I'd especially like to see how they handled the selection bias when deciding upon their small group for the test study.

I don't have much experience with other Aspies, but from my limited experience I'd say self-accepting or self-neutral Aspies are fun and easy to be with. Aspies who have internalized the idea that they should be normal and so should everyone else are stressful.

I don't have much experience with other Aspies, but from my limited experience I'd say self-accepting or self-neutral Aspies are fun and easy to be with. Aspies who have internalized the idea that they should be normal and so should everyone else are stressful.

I know exactly what you mean, they make me extraordinarily anxious.

Oof, this nails it on the head.

I've met a few of those too, but they are a minority and they generally don't mix well with a group. There are bigots, egotists and people who think they are superior to others for some nebulous reason in every group, regardless of neural structure.
I left one group altogether because there were a couple of smegheads like that amongst them. They also happened to be misogynists, homophobes and nationalists - a decidedly anti-social combination!

And they probably had no appreciation at all for Red Dwarf.

New Threads

Top Bottom