• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is it fun, easy, hard or "it depends" to be with other aspies?

Is it fun, easy, hard or "it depends" to be with other aspies?

• Fun

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Easy

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Hard

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • It depends about the person...

Votes: 22 66.7%
  • I dont know?

Votes: 9 27.3%

• Total voters

Canismajoris

Hypergiant
I think I have never been in a situation where there would have been other aspie(s) to hang out with. Sure I must have met but our kind of people tend to fly under radar. I wonder what it is like? Do we get ourkind better or is it twice as hard?

I would love to go in the local aspie meeting that is once in a month or so. To see how it feels. Now my only autistic "friend" is Sheldon Cooper. XD But I guess I am too chicken to go to the meeting.

Sadly, I don't know any other Aspies personally... I never met someone in person. I guess, however, it would be a lot of fun seeing everyone fussing around with their special interests and special issues =D

There is a study on this very subject entitled "Diversity in social intelligence" currently ongoing, some details of which can be found here:
Diversity in Social Intelligence

Preliminary findings suggest that NT groups and Autistic groups perform equally efficiently, but it breaks down when the two mix. It's further evidence of the double empathy problem.

I have found being with other autistic people rather liberating.
A week ago I filmed a conversation I had with another Autistic YouTuber, to be split between our channels. We had never met in person before yet it was a really easy and enjoyable afternoon. Even after editing there's more than an hour of useful footage.
I know a reasonable amount of other Autistics face to face and whilst there are bad apples in every barrel, most I have enjoyed the company of because we're being our natural selves without any barriers of social expectation. We enjoy talking about our passions, sharing our observations and just being amongst like minded people.

I have heard some suggest that they think being around other Autistics is or would be frustrating because we would all be awkward, self obsessed and introverted. To them I say - try it! If you don't like it it's either a bad crowd or it's you that's the problem. Try it again with a different group. I generally find it easier to get on with others like me, but as always, your experience may differ.

I think it is important and their is some things which my autistic friends get better then my NT friends however I have met autistics I don’t like usually for the reason of them have a suppority complex and thinking ASD people are super to NT people and ASD people with learning disabilities p.

I think it is important and their is some things which my autistic friends get better then my NT friends however I have met autistics I don’t like usually for the reason of them have a suppority complex and thinking ASD people are super to NT people and ASD people with learning disabilities p.

I've met a few of those too, but they are a minority and they generally don't mix well with a group. There are bigots, egotists and people who think they are superior to others for some nebulous reason in every group, regardless of neural structure.
I left one group altogether because there were a couple of smegheads like that amongst them. They also happened to be misogynists, homophobes and nationalists - a decidedly anti-social combination!

Last edited:
What l found was that l believe this person has a great freedom in thought process in regards to things we enjoy, and l feel liberated as well. I feel in a cage with a NT because l feel the parameters are drawn and l need to stay there. Plus my obessions of words, this person's voice doesn't threatened them. In fact l believe they may have a written word obession also. Basically, this person isn't threatened by me, so it's a relief to hangout together.

Honestly talking to people on the spectrum isn't that different to talking to NT's.

l don't like talking to NT, they don't get me.

l find NT's extremely boring, no obsessive passions, l prefer to hang out with someone like me.

One friend of mine is hilarious, one of the ways being that he remembers the exact date of every time we all hang out. "We came here March 15th, 2017!" He's also obsessed with google maps and knows random landmarks and things from random places.

I like working with autistic children more than NT children. NT children are more confusing.

I don't personally know any other aspies. I do personally know two people who are not NT (daughter and husband, both very strongly suspected to have ADHD, daughter is probably combined type like me, husband is extremely inattentive. Daughter will be evaluated in the next 3-4 months. Husband is on the fence about getting evaluated.). They are my two favorite people in the entire world. They get me. I get them. We all have a great time together. We're just a hilarious, weird group lol I don't get most NT folks, which is why I have very few friends.

The only other (possible) aspies I know are my father, and while he is a good man, we aren't close or anything. And I only know you folks through discussions in the forum. I think that I'd get along just fine with 90% of you. 7%, I might have some issues, but would get along with for the most part. The remaining 3%, I don't want anything to do with LOL :eek::D

I don't have much experience with meeting people with ASD, and don't know any in real life now, but one or two past friends I strongly suspect were on the spectrum, and we had some common or past experiences, so I could relate to them, or they were quirky and I naturally feel drawn to and tend to get on well with quirky people. If someone else is quirky, I feel that my own quirkiness is going to be accepted and I can relax a bit more around them.

I don't think that ASD groups would work though, for the same reasons that NT groups don't work for me - I find it hard to join in conversations, though if it was based round an activity rather than talking it might work. Also, as with any person, I'd need to have some compatibility or common ground, similar interests or similar background and experiences.

I found most of the people with ASD I've met either annoying or boring. I have one female friend with ASD, and although I mostly enjoy her company and we have interesting conversations I can only do so every now and then because she irritates me if we spend too much time together. My NT friends are easier.

I took the time to have a think about why I've found the ASD people I've met annoying, and the main reason that came to mind was that they tended to be quite whiney.

I found most of the people with ASD I've met either annoying or boring. I have one female friend with ASD, and although I mostly enjoy her company and we have interesting conversations I can only do so every now and then because she irritates me if we spend too much time together. My NT friends are easier.

I took the time to have a think about why I've found the ASD people I've met annoying, and the main reason that came to mind was that they tended to be quite whiney.

Every time I see your username, I think this :-

I was in the kitchen,one time. Tidying up.

There was this almighty bang and crashing sound. I put something away and missed..

Glasses smashed.

I immediately shouted through to my wife :

'NOTHING TO SEE HERE'

We then spent an inordinate time laughing about it.

Noise and clatter are my standard kitchen happenings - I now blame it on 'the wee mouse.'

(interruption ends here)

I've met a few of those too, but they are a minority and they generally don't mix well with a group. There are bigots, egotists and people who think they are superior to others for some nebulous reason in every group, regardless of neural structure.
I left one group altogether because there were a couple of smegheads like that amongst them. They also happened to be misogynists, homophobes and nationalists - a decidedly anti-social combination!
[/QUOTE]
Their is always people like that you just have to avoid them best you can.

I'm that whole 3% and some of that 7%, since I don't think there are 100 members here. :D:p

Well, I don't know but there aren't many regular forum thread contributors at all. There seems to be far less than 100. So I'm going by the very small sample of regular and semi-regular posters. In that case, I'd change the percentages to 93/6/1. But if a lot more contribute, that percentage will definitely change.

I think you'd be in the 93% for now. I highly doubt you'd be in the 1%. Maybe this is just a forum persona and in real life you'd be in the 1% :eek: lol

I thought way too hard and unnecessarily about this.

He's also obsessed with google maps and knows random landmarks and things from random places.

Oh wow I'm obsessed with google maps too. I once spent several hours a few months ago looking at street views from many different corners of the world LOL

Oh wow I'm obsessed with google maps too. I once spent several hours a few months ago looking at street views from many different corners of the world LOL

Do you go to that website where it show's all the funny images?

People in the area,obviously find out where the google car is going to be.

They then dress up and you see the images of these guys in scuba diving gear, wearing horse-heads etc

My oldest son is definitely an aspie and I always enjoy being with him, but there are some that I can not handle. Same as anyone - some people are fun, some are more of a pain. Reminds me - think it's about time for another prank. :)

New Threads

Top Bottom