• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Introversion and Autism

My question would be: Why does acting like an introvert due to sensory and/or communication issues associated with autism actually make one an introvert? Is it not possible to be an extrovert mentally yet be unable to act on what you know you are so, be perceived as an introvert?

I know I am nearly the opposite. I socialize, attend parties, even make myself the life of the party, outwardly a stranger is just a friend I haven't met yet but, inwardly I prefer to be alone, I value my privacy and quiet time above most everything else. I enjoy socializing but, it is tiring and, if my life were such that I never had to speak to another human being again, I would be happy so, which am I? An extroverted introvert, or an introverted extrovert?

Maybe it isn't so black and white and, we can be a bit of both?

My question would be: Why does acting like an introvert due to sensory and/or communication issues associated with autism actually make one an introvert? Is it not possible to be an extrovert mentally yet be unable to act on what you know you are so, be perceived as an introvert?

I know I am nearly the opposite. I socialize, attend parties, even make myself the life of the party, outwardly a stranger is just a friend I haven't met yet but, inwardly I prefer to be alone, I value my privacy and quiet time above most everything else. I enjoy socializing but, it is tiring and, if my life were such that I never had to speak to another human being again, I would be happy so, which am I? An extroverted introvert, or an introverted extrovert?

Maybe it isn't so black and white and, we can be a bit of both?

Good point. IMO personality theory oversimplifies something that is likely multi-faceted as you describe.

I disagree the most with the double spaced lines and one inch margins. Those standards are such an inefficient waste of space.

Autistic people come in the same -vert flavors as any other person. You have your introverts, extroverts, and ambiverts. Some don't enjoy socializing or find it utterly exhausting, some love to socialize or find it invigorating and isolation exhausting, and then there are those in the middle that need some mix of the two to be happy and healthy. Sensory issues can easily come into play on both sides of introversion and extroversion. Those who have hypersensitive senses will likely be overwhelmed easily and those with hyposensitive senses will need an awful lot of stimuli to be satisfied.

I am 80%-90% introvert, I can do very well with limited contact with people, but I do need a little time around others on occasion.

I haven't read the whole paper yet, but I had a look at the bibliography, and one thing struck me: she doesn't appear to have consulted any autistic people or even read any biographies by autistic people. I would have thought that the most valuable resource for her paper are the autistic people themselves.

To me, autism implies a certain disconnetion with the world, but it's possible to be extroverted and still have that disconnection.

Ambiverted...cool,I learned a new word today and how it applies to me.

I love the limelight at times but need some "me" time too.

I did scan some of her paper,but she references opinions,not facts and hers is just another opinion fresh out of Quacklandia.

Of course it is only fair to mention that this is just my opinion based on my lack of adequate information too:D

Good question.

I haven't read the whole paper (though I will), but I read the Abstract and Conclusion and skimmed some choice sections and the Bibliography. It was pretty clear from the outset that this was the work of a Master's student. I wish Master's papers weren't published online, because they can be mistaken for professional writing/research if the ubiquitous APA formatting doesn't register with the reader.

I had a major problem with this, from the get-go:

"To advance the understanding of introversion, I propose that it is a continuous segment of the non-clinical part of the autism spectrum, and that it is not the same as the inverse of extraversion."

Tell that to Carl Jung. :confused: So what "spectrum" would extroversion sit on? The only way I'd be okay with introversion appearing on a spectrum with autism is if it was a very large multidimensional design that includes NT personalities and extroversion as well, but even that's kinda shaky. Autism is a neurological condition. "Introvert" is a personality type. Introversion, ambiversion, and extroversion are great as a continuum of their own, thanks.

I look to the Jungian description of extroversion for both Aspies and NTs, since it comes from his personality typology. Jung defined an "extravert" (now more commonly spelled with an "o") as someone with outward-flowing personal energy and who gets their gratification externally (my wording). In other words, extroverts are primarily energized by contact with others.

I did like that Grimes acknowledges a "non-clinical part of the autism spectrum", though. That's always encouraging, to see it acknowledged that not all autistics are clinical cases.

This is me
ImageUploadedByAspiesCentral.com1438608988.113801.jpg

To me, this just goes to show that whether we are Aspie or NT, introvert or extrovert, we are indeed all different.

I'm introverted and always have been. I also strongly suspect extroversion and autism are mutually exclusive. I'll try reading that thesis tomorrow and see if it sheds any light on the subject.

Ok I'll admit I haven't done the homework and don't intend to. ;)

But class discussion is alright isn't it?

Anyway I do think just to have innies and outties is too simplistic. I see ambis like Nitro mentioned. And I'll add 'Intraverts'. That is Introverts that are Extroverts only around other Introverts.

There was one silly introvert diagram I saw once that described extroverts as energy vampires who only thrived by sapping the energy from other things. I'd imagine introverts who are extroverted around other introverts are that way because they're not a walking buffet in those situations.

There was one silly introvert diagram I saw once that described extroverts as energy vampires who only thrived by sapping the energy from other things.
I only have to sap a little energy to have the energy to sap again :D

New Threads

Top Bottom