• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Interpreting Things Literally

Ouch! Sounds like a lot of work, customer service & trouble. :-( Hope things get better for you. Canada is a great fun country to visit! I love it there & the people were always nice to me. The first thing I thought of per Yukon was Yukon Territory! :unsure: "Cardboard in the Yukon!" :D
I'm laughing at that while thinking how funny that would be in a song.

Hi Everyone

I have been busy at our local gas station going through a difficult weekend, the Canada Day weekend. Many travellers had extended holidays and my boss was away at the same time. What convenient timing!! Our cooler flooded, and our pumps were knocked out by a lightning storm for a couple of hours. On some days previously, I had to come in around 1 pm to restock the cooler, top up washer fluid, and clean the bathrooms when the cashier was too busy with customers. On the same days I had to come in and do an actual shift, until midnight.

On a lighter note, my boss told me, "There's cardboard in the Yukon. Could you pull it out and throw it in the bin for me, please?" This statement sounded illogical to me at first.
Cardboard in the Yukon? What is he talking about?

Then later it dawned on me. The Chevy Yukon SUV!! Not the Yukon Territory! Okay, boss, very funny!! I got your message loud and clear (ha-ha-ha very funny). So I opened up his Chevrolet Yukon hatchback door and took out the cardboard and threw it in the bin. Even after the job was done (months ago) I still have memories of it!

Ha, ha! Cardboard in the Yukon! Makes a great song title!!

Rob

Last edited:
No, he actually was cheating on me. For a year.

To further the discussion on it, once he was found out via the tramp's husband when he called our house (he'd found e-mails between them in a personal account she'd created for the sole purpose of maintaining the relationship). STILL, I was told, "He's lying to you." THEN, my husband was presented with copies of e-mails and still, "No, he's created these." THEN, we got the both of them together in the same room and only THEN did he 'fess up and it still took a lot of gas lighting on his part.

However, he still maintains to this day he'd have NEVER cheated on me four times had I just been a better wife. I have an appointment with an attorney next week to end this fiasco of a marriage. The straw that broke the camel's back, for me, was his refusal to keep the kids out of it all, using them as "sounding boards" and attempting to gain their solidarity (Everyone has to love Dad and hate Mom) usually with his "half-truths" and outright lies. He's incredibly manipulative. If you were to ever meet him, you'd think he was the greatest guy in the world. For his family, though, it's living life walking on a tightrope with his keeping us all off balance, all the time. The result of all this is, our youngest son told us yesterday he couldn't take being in the middle of the fights. Seems every time we had a fight, my husband would call or text our youngest to vent to him about how awful I am. He's been using our youngest the most as his pseudo-counselor for about three or four years and our son can't take any more of it. He's changed his cell phone number and is refusing any and all contact with us until he feels he's got enough counseling under his belt to manage it. That was another major reason I'm divorcing. I'm also incredibly angry I let it go this far, that I didn't do more to protect my kids from him.

Our marriage counselor feels what he's doing is emotionally abusive and I tend to agree now that I've begun to get my wits about me, after 21 years of marriage. I think this is the hardest decision I've ever had to make. However, yesterday, I went into the counselor's office with him and asked for a separation while he did his individual counseling because I couldn't take any more of it and keep my sanity. Since the kids all moved out, he's gotten SO much worse and it's all directed at me, not having any buffers to temper it on one person or the other. The counselor thought it was a good idea but my husband told us he didn't feel he needed counseling since I was the one having the problems, not him. He told me he's comfortable with his AS diagnosis and didn't need "help" with it. He believes I'm the one who needs to do all the adjusting and learning to live with it all, thus, I should go to counseling w/o him. His temper tantrums are happening more often, the threats of physical abuse are becoming more frightening and I feel it's just a matter of time before there's a headline about me being killed.

I did tell the counselor I wanted to get into individual counseling but it was to be in conjunction with seeing an attorney to file for divorce. I have an appt with the attorney next week, I have an appt with the counselor two days later. I've been so focused for so long on "saving" him and "fixing" him and "getting him the help he needs" I lost myself somewhere along the way and I find I'm nothing like the joyful, laughing, dancing through the house singing person I once was. I'd like to be that person again and forget who I am now. Being angry all the time, living with this man for as long as I did, my health is precarious and I deserve better than what I've gotten.

Yeah… he was misdiagnosed. Most likely charmed his therapist into saying it was AS, not outright psychopathy. Not all psychologists recognise a liar as such.

Happily, you will be free of him. Take a page out of your youngest son's book and refuse any and all contact with him.

NTWife, only you can make you happy. I hope through counseling you can let go of your anger and begin to heal. I believe this venting is only escalating your anger, you want to feel it and you cannot direct it towards the one person you feel has caused you harm. Please continue counseling, please work on letting go of your anger and hate, and please do not judge all aspies so harshly. Your situation is unique and unfortunate. I wish you all the best. If you ever feel the need to talk, I am available.

I cannot say all of us aspies are like that.

True, I don't see the "Raining cats and dogs" thing as literal, in actual rain of animals, but I tend to never get what most sayings mean. Especially true is when it comes to sarcasm. I am actually, ironically, VERY sarcastic myself, but I never end up getting when someone ELSE is being sarcastic.

I had thought a classmate at college, of mine, is around my age. He had said he's turning 50. I had thought sarcasm at first, at least denial. He had me going for at least 2 weeks until he told me the truth, which was because it was the last day of the semester.

Stellares, I really don't recall asking you what you thought of it all. I didn't ask for your advice, nor is it welcomed.

Stellares, I really don't recall asking you what you thought of it all. I didn't ask for your advice, nor is it welcomed.
you know what, it wasn't really my business. so i'm sorry for sticking my finger in. you're going though a painful thing, and you didn't need even more complication that my comments or involvement may have caused. so i won't add such comments anymore. don't hold the past ones against me, please. :alien2:

You are aware that this is a forum? And that the general way a forum works is that people can chip in their 2 cents.

Excluding people or telling them "I didn't ask for your opinion" is outright rude.

While rereading parts of this thread, I remembered how when I'd be talking to 2 women I just met, trying to decode which one liked me [at a nightclub] I had the tendency to pick the one who was pretending to like me! Yikes...I kept wondering why I was making the same mistake.
If my memory is right, that would mean we would dance and or go out on one date. Then I'd figure it out "oh donuts, it was the other one who liked me..."

Anyway that was many moons ago.

Yeah, after a lot of failure I just gave up completely this game. If there is one thing that always upsets me is when someone says something in a hidden sexual way and I can't be sure of that. Very annoying, and I avoid talking to this kind of people.

Last edited:
You are aware that this is a forum? And that the general way a forum works is that people can chip in their 2 cents.

Excluding people or telling them "I didn't ask for your opinion" is outright rude.

I agree, and so is this NT supremacy nonsense she has going. In fact, she looks like a troll.

While rereading parts of this thread, I remembered how when I'd be talking to 2 women I just met, trying to decode which one liked me [at a nightclub] I had the tendency to pick the one who was pretending to like me! Yikes...I kept wondering why I was making the same mistake.
If my memory is right, that would mean we would dance and or go out on one date. Then I'd figure it out "oh donuts, it was the other one who liked me..."

Anyway that was many moons ago.

I tend to take body language literally as well. What I have come to realise is that it is not about what the person means to convey, but rather about what states of mind that make their behaviour likely. Still working on incorporating that idea.

The people here have been kind and patient with you since your arrival, what is your purpose here besides spreading anger and negativity? This is a forum for people to express their opinions. You have offered advice repeatedly, and even though it may not have been the best advice for the person you offered it to, you were still free to voice your opinion. I am concerned about you. The way you treat people here. You can still give deserving people respect even if you don't agree with them or even like them.

Literal interpretation for things like idioms and sarcasm has always been a little strange for me. The only time I actually misunderstood when someone used an idiom was in early grade school and one of the teachers told me to "Walk a mile in the other person's shoes." and I just replied "Really? A whole mile? Their shoes are so small though." I ended up getting put in time out for being a smart aleck. As a result I've memorized most idioms so that when one is brought up in conversation I don't respond like that again, but at the same time I start to think about the events in the idiom actually happening. For example, cats and dogs falling from the sky, people barking at trees, etc. Then I start to wonder who in the heck came up with these sayings and how much purpose they actually serve in language. So the conversation is ruined anyway because I've started to daydream about the origins of idioms. Sarcasm is more difficult because it isn't just a list of strange things to say. It's defined mostly by tone and the person themselves. So unless they are really obvious about it, I often miss when people are being sarcastic.

My sister always says to me oh don't be so literal. And I find that annoying she also uses me as an excuse for things.

I hardly have problems with metaphors (but with some if I'm not familiar with them thou, sure). Ought-to-be-clever statements annoy me so much because I can't take them as joke.

Recently I have had hard time reading "this x will change your opinion over y", because they almost never will change my opinion. Either those arguments are similar to how I already think over the subject, or they're just falsify or so to say too lousy to make me reconsider my state. Most often in these situations I'll start so tremble restlessly, because I was told to change my stand, yet I didn't. That's heck of annoying. It's not a "don't tell me what to do" situation nearly as much as "no, it won't change my opinion, but I'll read it carefully and then blame myself for not changing my opinion as you requested".
Something just jinxes wrong in my head and my brain starts to hurt.

I enjoy etymology, so I'll sometimes think about what words actually mean as opposed to how they're used.

One of my favorite examples is "romantic", which really just means "of Rome", or "of the Roman Empire".

So the romantic languages are the ones that most closely resemble Latin.

When I was five or six, the family went out to eat at a restaurant. After we left, dad pulled into the nearby grocery store parking lot and told me I had to get out and make doughnuts in their bakery all night to help pay for the restaurant bill because he couldn't afford my dinner. He said he'd be back in the morning to pick me up. Of course this scared the hell out of me since I believed him but didn't know what else I could do. Then, the a**hole drove off! They were gone for several minutes and mind you, this was fairly late at night. I just stood there in the dark, empty parking lot crying my eyes out before they came back. I would be taunted for years about having to make doughnuts every time we went out to eat.

Unfortunately, my dad and older sister took great joy in exploiting the fact that I couldn't easily tell when they were just messing with me. It's pretty bad when your first bullies happen to be your own family.

nonsensical: I can't help still resenting my father for doing things like this to me. I know he treats me with more respect now – because I'm an adult. Too ****ing late. If I weren't enough of a person in his eyes to be treated with some respect… he deserves none of my respect.

Of course, I wish it could be different. That may or may not be rational. It can't be different, though. I'm the one who has to remember everything.

Aalo: Along the same lines, I dislike the off-hand promise: "if you liked x, you will love y."

It is not a given that there is any correlation, besides both x and y possessing quality z, and often z will be the thing I disliked about x. (Often, z is a love triangle. I stopped reading YA just to avoid those.) Maybe I can generalise that to disliking advertisers for being lying liars who lie – invariably, completely and tautologically.

When I was five or six, the family went out to eat at a restaurant. After we left, dad pulled into the nearby grocery store parking lot and told me I had to get out and make doughnuts in their bakery all night to help pay for the restaurant bill because he couldn't afford my dinner. He said he'd be back in the morning to pick me up. Of course this scared the hell out of me since I believed him but didn't know what else I could do. Then, the a**hole drove off! They were gone for several minutes and mind you, this was fairly late at night. I just stood there in the dark, empty parking lot crying my eyes out before they came back. I would be taunted for years about having to make doughnuts every time we went out to eat.

Unfortunately, my dad and older sister took great joy in exploiting the fact that I couldn't easily tell when they were just messing with me. It's pretty bad when your first bullies happen to be your own family.
At the age of five or six, any little kid would think their dad was telling the truth.
Really nasty to play that kind of a joke on a little kid.

"if you liked x, you will love y."

"5 things you didn't know about some issue."

If I'm interested enough to read about it, I surely know pretty much more about it that people would ever imagine. Media should stop underestimating potential of my brain capacity.

New Threads

Top Bottom