• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

incessant worrying

Violette88

I was talking too myself and i did not realise i was talking out loud, I said someones name and I have a very positive view on them, I changed my train of thought and cussed about someone else. I am worried that someone would have heard what I said and thought I was talking about that person when I was not. I know that nobody was outside my room, (well they were not there 3 seconds later) so it was unlikely they were unless they partake in apparition (harry potter) and also i whispered it so it was highly unlikely anyone heard. But I cannot stop worrying about it. I also don't want to tell the person about this situation in case they did hear, as they are important to me and I know they get annoyed when I worry about unnecessary things.

If this person is used to you talking to yourself, they will probably not think too much about it. We Aspies often overshare. Some are shocked by that. Others just take it in stride.

I have had similar things happen. Once, I was standing near an open window and ranting to myself about my downstairs neighbor. She and I got along pretty well, but sometimes she would annoy me by wanting to socialize when I wanted some down time. So after I was ranting, I suddenly got to wondering if she could have been nearby, and heard everything? I went through an agonizing time for about one and one half days, then I ran into her and she was the same as always. I felt foolish for getting so worried about something that hadn't even happened!

What I do now, is to say something to myself like "I don't know for sure that she heard me. I need more information. Until I get that info, I am going to not dwell on it." Then I get busy doing something that requires concentration.

Given time, you will find out whether or not you were heard. Try to relax!

Excessive worrying can be an autistic trait. Of course like any trait or behavior, it boils down to whether or not you can control it, and if so to what degree. Though I doubt any of us would honestly view this as a positive trait.

The best I can do to mitigate it is to always consider it in terms of priorities. That if it's relatively insignificant, try not to dwell on it as much as that which you know counts in your life. And try to maintain a sense of reality of it all. That if it's a concern you honestly have little or no control over, there's no point in dwelling on it indefinitely.

I tend to do the same thing. I have to admit that sometimes I am saying things against my husband, because of how nasty he can be and then panic and think that did he just come through the door and then, major panic sets in.

Unfortunately, he did catch me with my tongue sticking out at his back ( ouch) and said: no good hiding, I saw and all I could think was: damn and blast!

I do get very embarrassed when he says: are you talking to yourself and I sort of shrug my shoulders and say: you know what they say about people who talk to themselves? Who else is intelligent enough to have a conversation with and then, blow a rasperry at him. Sometimes he laughs and sometimes he gets very sensitive.

New Threads

Top Bottom