• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Images being displayed as "View attachment upload..."

Vinca

Speaking through Pictures
V.I.P Member
Usually when I copy and paste an image from Google images into my post, the image is displayed as it appeared in Google images. Recently though, doing exactly the same as I have always done,
the image isn't displaying but a link to it instead, see the following as an example -

View attachment upload_2016-5-18_19-51-51.png

Can anyone tell me why this is happening and what I can do to make images I post display as images and not a link?

Use the IMG tag in an [opening bracket] at the beginning of the url of the image, and a [/closing bracket]at the end of the image url like so. I've always done this manually, probably because I used to be a hand-coder back in the day.

upload_2016-5-18_19-51-51-png.25700

Hmmm.
I wonder if I can do that.

Let's see what happens when I try to do that.
brb

Hmmm again.
Nothing good. I tried it a couple times.
I don't seem to know how to do that.

It sounded simple enough.
But...not as simple as me, apparently.

[http://www.youencounteramonster.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/401-Number-One-Fan.png ]
I must not be doing it correctly. All I get is that (link above).

I can, however, just copy the picture, as I usually do.

401-Number-One-Fan.png

Maybe Judge can come back and give me
a vocabulary lesson.

Last edited:
Just copy the image file location (URL) and paste it in between the opening and closing IMG tags like this:
IMG_Sample_zpssjdoi4hg.jpg

Last edited:
OK.
I will try it again.

It looks like I am supposed to actually put IMG in the brackets.
Maybe that is the part I missed before.
Let's see.

8553470490_1c91493899_z.jpg

EDIT less than a minute later =
Ho ho.
So that's how.

Thanks, Judge

Just be aware that it's possible for outside website admins to break any links we might create to their graphics if they so choose. On occasion it can happen...in which there's nothing you can do regarding that particular graphic.

Use the IMG tag in an [opening bracket] at the beginning of the url of the image, and a [/closing bracket]at the end of the image url like so. I've always done this manually, probably because I used to be a hand-coder back in the day.

upload_2016-5-18_19-51-51-png.25700

Ooo, I shall give that a try...

reutov-yunusov-nagibin-random-numbers-take-ii-17-638.jpg

images

Judge

Interestingly, I am now able to copy and paste images into posts again.:)

No idea what has changed.:confused:

It would be great if somebody knew
and said what it was, wouldn't it?

Not necessarily if it involved an update of the forum's source code pertaining to security or maintenance issues. It really depends. Transparency isn't always a good thing from a perspective of systems administration.

Judge

By saying what it was, I meant,
explained so that even a person
who knows no coding would
understand.

That kind of person would be...
me, for instance.

I wasn't saying to Vinca how great
it would be to see the workings of
each line required to make thing work
on AC, only that a simple remark now
and then could clarify some situations.

I have noticed that people feel anxious
when they don't know what's going on.

Judge

By saying what it was, I meant, explained so that even a person who knows no coding would understand.

That kind of person would be...me, for instance.

I don't think you understood what I meant. Some things are best left unsaid for any number of reasons. Whether you understand them or not. A dynamic you would likely relate to if you've had some kind of online systems administration experience. Such issues could relate to something subjective as marketing, or something more objective like security.

As a private domain, it's always their call as to how transparent they choose to be. Whether the issue may reside within the forum's code, or from other circumstances.

Just another form of "need-to-know only" basis. Whether we "need to know" is ultimately their call- not ours.

Judge

That sounds overly vigilant to me.

What I intended was to say to Vinca
yes, it is provoking when things don't
work as one expects.

And how it would be pleasant to have
a person who could smoothly put
anxieties to rest, for forum members,
with an approach which I have seen
described as "Explain it to me like
I'm five."
:evergreen:

Judge

That sounds overly vigilant to me.

:evergreen:

Maybe. Maybe not, depending on what issues are in play and who actually controls them.

But the point is that users are not in control in this instance, whatever the issues actually are.

Yes, exactly that.
"Users are not in control"---
and it affects the tone of the forum.

I have seen that people become unhappy
when they have no way to understand
what is happening.

An official 'schmoozer'/person who says,
Hey it's going to be ok, your teddy bear
isn't dying, we are going to sew his broken
leg back on and you can play with him
again soon.....the idea of that is what
I was sharing with Vinca.

Last edited:
Yes, exactly that.
"Users are not in control"---
and it affects the tone of the forum.

I have seen that people become unhappy
when they have no way to understand
what is happening.

An official 'schmoozer'/person who says,
Hey it's going to be ok, your teddy bear
isn't dying, we are going to sew his broken
leg back on and you can play with him
again soon.....the idea of that is what
I was sharing with Vinca.

I know what you mean. Especially in periodically relying on a security program I have. Which will tell me I have an issue or problem. It can potentially fix it, but it most definitely will not explain the hows or whys of it all. Of course having looked at the applications terms and conditions, I realize that such features are deliberately absent given the cost of the application to me personally.

Because it's freeware, where the vendor offers the use of their product but with a somewhat standardized caveat. Limited contractual liability and responsibility to end users.

Simply put, the transparency you seek of how this forum operates internally relative to the software package and other considerations isn't an aspect of the terms and conditions for end users. Terms and conditions I might add which are tightly defined and really quite limited. Frustrating at times, but in this particular context it is what it is.

That technically it costs no one to use this forum on the most basic level. And of course that an "enhanced" membership still retains the same relative terms and conditions with a few "bells and whistles" added.

Last edited:
Judge

I was not talking to Vinca about
'transparency' or wanting to know
how technical details on AC work.

I was sharing with Vinca the idea
that communication can affect the
way people feel about using a site.

The idea was that if there were the
occasional statement, very simply
put---like "Hey, guys, We are working on
that problem," maybe not so many