• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Im Gary DuBois and Im a Bicycle Hobbyist please join my Bicycle Hobbyist Club :)

What bicycle brands do you like

• Total voters
Small world!

I've adapted to the weather. The cost-of-living is more manageable here.

Oxnard. I used to bicycle all over Ventura Co. on a touring bike (lighter than mountain bike/heavier than racing bike). I don't remember the make/model. In town, I once got a speeding warning for going 40mph in a 25mph? zone. (No speedometer.)

I was a middling finisher, time-wise, but it did develop my stamina.
Its a small world after all i remember that nursery rythm song thing.

How is the weather there ? The cost - of - living is cheaper there ?

I don't think i have heard of a touring bicycle. Thats moronic that you even got a speeding warning because its a bicycle and doesn't have a motor.

did it also develop your speed along with your stamina ?

How is the weather there ? The cost - of - living is cheaper there ?
80s in the summer, -20s in the winter. The COL is better than southern California. It is even better than southern Wisconsin.
I don't think i have heard of a touring bicycle.
See TOURING BICYCLE. (My drop-bar Sidewinder is an early example of a MIXED TERRAIN BICYCLE.)
Thats moronic that you even got a speeding warning because its a bicycle and doesn't have a motor.
Speed is speed.
did it also develop your speed along with your stamina ?
I usually finished in the middle of the pack, but years later (at 22), I was trying out a local gym. The instructor had me get on a programmed stationary bicycle, trying to get my heart-rate up. I did its full routine with no appreciable change in my heart rate. That really frustrated him. My doctor says that my heart is really strong, now (at 55), too.

80s in the summer, -20s in the winter. The COL is better than southern California. It is even better than southern Wisconsin.

See TOURING BICYCLE. (My drop-bar Sidewinder is an early example of a MIXED TERRAIN BICYCLE.)

Speed is speed.

I usually finished in the middle of the pack, but years later (at 22), I was trying out a local gym. The instructor had me get on a programmed stationary bicycle, trying to get my heart-rate up. I did its full routine with no appreciable change in my heart rate. That really frustrated him. My doctor says that my heart is really strong, now (at 55), too.
Here in puyallup washington in the summer it will get in the 80's and rarely it get 100 degrees. In the winter time it will get in the 30's and sometimes lower i remember a few years ago it got 15 degrees in the winter time but thats rare that it will get that cold.

what are the pros and cons of a touring and mixed terrain bicycle ?

but how fast your going on a bicycle shouldn't matter because it doesn't have a engine.

my grandpa duane my dads dad had a stationary bicycle and i have at least 30 seconds of video footage of me on the stationary bicycle in 1996 when i was 5 years old. I am happy your heart is good and strong for you at 55.

what are the pros and cons of a touring and mixed terrain bicycle ?
Touring bikes were pretty much the standard department store ten-speeds of the 1970s. They aren't as fragile as racing bikes, but they are still pretty fragile and take about 70psi in their tires. I once hit a pothole that dented my front rim. As soon as that dent got to my brakes, it shot my brake pads forward and I came to a very abrupt stop. (Fortunately, I didn't go over the bars!)

Mountain bikes are made for rough terrain, but their handle bars & seat are designed for more BMX-style activities, not distance touring. (I am not that radical of a rider.) The touring seat & handle bars supported a more comfortable posture for touring, while the mountain bike frame proved to be more rugged. It is a little heavier to carry, but it isn't that noticeable when riding.

"Mixed terrain" wasn't a phrase back then, so I referred to this mountain bike with drop-bars as an argali-style mountain bike. (An argali is a very tall mountain sheep. Its drop-bars reminded me of their curved horns. ;))

Last edited:
Touring bikes were pretty much the standard department store ten-speeds of the 1970s. They aren't as fragile as racing bikes, but they are still pretty fragile and take about 70psi in their tires. I once hit a pothole that dented my front rim. As soon as that dent got to my brakes, it shot my brake pads forward and I came to a very abrupt stop. (Fortunately, I didn't go over the bars!)

Mountain bikes are made for rough terrain, but their handle bars & seat are designed for more BMX-style activities, not distance touring. (I am not that radical of a rider.) The touring seat & handle bars supported a more comfortable posture for touring, while the mountain bike frame proved to be more rugged. It is a little heavier to carry, but it isn't that noticeable when riding.

"Mixed terrain" wasn't a phrase back then, so I referred to this mountain bike with drop-bars as an argali-style mountain bike. (An argali is a very tall mountain sheep.)
So are touring bikes similar to road bikes i would think so ? I have a 70's blue araya road bike, have you heard of that brand ? Touring bikes and Road bikes and Racing bikes all are similar aren't they ? because they all have thin tires and are thinner framed.

I have a Schwinn Mesa Alloy 21 speed mountain bike that was made in 1999 or 2000 that my grandpa duane handed down to me hes my dads dad, have you heard of that bike ? He lived a good and long life he made it to 88 years old - 1922 - 2010. I have noticed my 2 mountain bikes might be a little heavyier and they are thicker framed than my 2 road bikes.

I have 5 bikes right now they are

Schwinn Mesa Alloy 21 speed mountain bike made in 1999 or 2000

Magna MTN Tamer 15 speed mountain bike made in 2004

Magna Fugitive 10 speed road bike made in the late 80's or early 90's

Araya road bike made in the 70's

20 inch free style mongoose bmx bike made in 2015

I will take at least 3 pictures of each bike and post them to my bicycle club here on aspies central for everyone to see and comment on :)

Have you seen the picture of my 20 inch free style mongoose bmx bike it is posted in my media section :)

So are touring bikes similar to road bikes i would think so ? I have a 70's blue araya road bike, have you heard of that brand ? Touring bikes and Road bikes and Racing bikes all are similar aren't they ? because they all have thin tires and are thinner framed.
Yes, they are similar in that regard.
I have a Schwinn Mesa Alloy 21 speed mountain bike that was made in 1999 or 2000 that my grandpa duane handed down to me hes my dads dad, have you heard of that bike ? He lived a good and long life he made it to 88 years old - 1922 - 2010. I have noticed my 2 mountain bikes might be a little heavyier and they are thicker framed than my 2 road bikes.

I have 5 bikes right now they are

Schwinn Mesa Alloy 21 speed mountain bike made in 1999 or 2000

Magna MTN Tamer 15 speed mountain bike made in 2004

Magna Fugitive 10 speed road bike made in the late 80's or early 90's

Araya road bike made in the 70's

20 inch free style mongoose bmx bike made in 2015

I will take at least 3 pictures of each bike and post them to my bicycle club here on aspies central for everyone to see and comment on :)

Have you seen the picture of my 20 inch free style mongoose bmx bike it is posted in my media section :)
It sounds like you have an impressive stable. I haven't paid much attention to makes & models.
My Schwinn Sidewinder seemed like the best deal at the time.
My Sun Atlas is the only industrial trike that I could find with such weight allowances.
And my daughter's Worksman is the only tandem trike that I could find on the market, at all.

The Sidewinder & Atlas have held up, so I am happy with their performance.

There is one fatbike that I am interested in at a local bike shop, but I don't have the funds right now.

Last edited:

"Mixed terrain" wasn't a phrase back then, so I referred to this mountain bike with drop-bars as an argali-style mountain bike. (An argali is a very tall mountain sheep. Its drop-bars reminded me of their curved horns. ;))
wanna know something funny my dad came to my back window and said go look out the front window and what i saw was my 6 foot 5 and 240 pound dad riding my 20 inch free style mongoose bmx bike

Nicole Frýbortová competes for Slovakia in the World Championships of Kunstrad, or Artistic Cycling, a competitive sport popular in Germany and other parts of Europe where people perform amazing bike tricks, it has been described as ballet on fixed gear bikes.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom