• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I'm a work aholic

AspieOtaku

Leader of the otaku legion!
I transfered to a new campus with very strict supervisors and lazy coworkers so I over work myself to the point I get injured and keep working,it even causes my strict supervisors to tell me to take it easy and relax yet I keep pushing,I go by a saying if you have no blisters on your fingers your not working hard enough, I keep going I got my foot cut open was willing to still work but she said use my sick days it was really bad my chef said I should have gone to the hospital, my gf smile was crying as my foot was bleeding I was still gonna go to work I'm tough harden up walk it off myself told me I was raised that way. I tend to over work till I pass out I'm trying to take it easy even the strictest boss is not as hard on me as I am on myself.

Workaholism is one of the few addictions in society that is somewhat celebrated.

"The graveyards are full of indispensable men."

Ed

IMG_20230403_025012.jpg
I was willing to still work with a wounded foot it goes against my pride not to work and let my team down my boss is very strict I sent my photo and even she said to take my sick days. I hesitantly did I was limping was still willing to work.

I pulled a muscle due to stress and kept working some co workers told me to see a doctor I said no I need to get the job done.

My back still hurts I need to go back to work, my purpous in life is to work till I die it's the meaning of life

That wound needs antiseptic ointment.
I think you need to take a mask and arrive drunk at work and misbehave.
Then go
go visit India and be vegetarian for a bit, live at temple and meditate. Just don't grow nails too long.
When you find the answer return to your Otaku tribe to remove your mask and explain the meaning of life.

I understand this issue, because I tend to be somewhat of a workaholic type myself and I end up going back to work shortly after injuring myself, being sick, or having surgery. I know it's not a good thing, and I don't care if people admire me for it. It's a very real problem that society doesn't acknowledge as being negative, because companies obviously profit more from overworking their employees. So we're conditioned to think that work is our "purpose" when it's honestly not really us (the workers) who are benefitting from it. Not unless you have a super high-end job, anyway.

Any type of financial benefit is obviously an incentive for people to work, because most of us have to pay rent or a mortgage, buy groceries, pay off medical bills, and pay for gas or transportation. Medical care can also be expensive depending on what country you live in. My country does not do a good job of taking care of the working class and low-income people, or disabled people, which is why we have a significant homelessness problem (in addition to poor quality and expensive healthcare, especially mental health care, and low-income and minority populations are the most negatively affected.)

The reason I work so much is because I like my job (I'm self-employed), but I also tend to hyperfocus and fixate on tasks. So whatever job I may have, I'm going to hyperfocus on it and I'm going to make sure I perform well. I'm the same way with schoolwork. I was always one of those annoying students who was the first to pass in my exams.
I also hyperfocus/fixate on routines, household chores, computer work, art projects, etc. It's exhausting. Sometimes I forget to eat when I'm working on something.
I don't know if this is just an autism thing, or if maybe I have OCD or something as well. I have been told that adults with ADHD can also hyperfixate on things, ironically.

It is an addiction and it can have a very negative impact on your life. If your boss is telling you that you should take it easy, you probably should. If you are overworking yourself for a financial reason, you might want to see if you can get paid leave if you have a serious injury or illness that is impacting your ability to work. And if you were injured in the workplace, there are things you can do to get compensation.

Information about work injury compensation in the US:
Workers' Compensation

One quick thing, if you work so hard that you injure yourself, you will eventually be forced to take time off work to heal. Then you can't work at all. So maybe keep that in mind. Pace yourself.

I had a wound but it was invisible to the naked eye!
I never had a Zen garden to retreat, it was as if barbarians (taurus) had stolen all our land, enslaved us before others learnt about slavery.

I had no where to hide, I had to face the truth, I was at work everyday on camera, behaving. Not allowed space, not allowed to go off rails again, not allowed to feel what strange thing was going on. My Hungarian family was terrified I would be a shame to the family, already like mina from Bram Stoker a Dracula I was not coping in high school wanted to throw myself off the bridge. My family said that no matter how bad our life or borders were they had to make sure I never ended up like Fantine on her death bed, nor left our daughters to join the revolution.
So what was V message to Evie....was it he wanted her to understand his pain whilst they tested for vaccine? Why did V have to die in the end?

It's great to have pride in your work, as many people on the spectrum do, but please do take care of yourself.

At one job I had a work injury that I worked through in part because I was in a precarious employment situation, and this lead to the injury not properly healing. I didn't think too much of it then, being young and foolish, but it has come back to haunt me twice. (re-injury)

In Hungarian we used to call the boss the slave driver, you get a new slave driver but it's same as saying same shift, different day and slaves do not have culture of their own, and are eventually set free but enslaved again.

I used to be told if I have no blisters on my fingers I'm not working hard enough, if I get injured get back to work if I'm gonna cry about it there's the door. I apply it to my current job with very strict managers and even they think it's too hard core and tell me to take it easy

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom