• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

If you had a million dollars/pounds?

If I had a million pounds, the first thing I'd do would be to go on a duck shopping spree. Then I'd get myself a convertible and splash my cash on jewellery like a proper little rich *****!:lol2:

Get rid of any debt...Invest the rest. Fully max the IRAs for everyone in my family. I have a Roth IRA for my son...I would invest more...and all in dividend or interest bearing stocks...compound interest in 50 yrs. will work magic. I would buy my dream property...in the Pacific Northwest...cool and beautiful...lots of land...no noise or neighbors (they frequently go hand in hand).

Get a flat, just a simple one though nothing flashy.
And I'd also go on a trip to east Africa.
Get a car and driving lessons, nothing expensive though just a car that does its job properly.
Then save what I have left.

I will buy all the New Era hats, Jordans shoes and Nike clothes that I can find...

Then i will donate one hundred thousand quids to the local special needs school, for purchase in new equipment that help, or bursuries to continue programs.

For the rest, i will just put them into a retirement savings account and work on an ordinary job.

I had to think surprisingly hard about this. It's just not even on the radar somehow (scientist job is not likely to turn me into a millionaire)...
I would spend it on...

Nice computer
Pay back student loans
Supplies for research
Pickup truck
Philanthropy - arts and sciences, alma mater
Tools
Cooking ware
Book, movie and scientific journal collection
Getting my sculptures cast in bronze
Help younger siblings go to college
I hope I'd be good and save/invest some - but I'd have to think hard about how and for what.

You can see I'm thinking rather small and materialistic here, and generally shortsighted to boot. But these are the things that I might spend money on, if I felt like I had enough to spend it on *anything*.

I know I haven't mentioned any of my ones yet and now I'm gonna say it.

All I know is I would spend it on all the apple products there is out there.

i'll put it in a bank

and

wait for

the SDCC or other conventions alike

and get all the action figures

and statues in multiples... +))

the rest...

i'll just leave it in the bank...

and wait for the next year's convention =))

As a training accountant/financial analyst, may I humbly suggest every undecided millionaire to put their money into Grade AAA long-term bonds, or banks' notes (short term bonds). Relatively risk free. Keeps the money's values too.

Pay off what little debt we have.
Fix all the problems with Crane's truck (or sell it and buy a new truck).
Buy myself a car or minivan.
Move to Oklahoma.
Buy a large plot of land (like 6 acres or something).
Build a nice 5 bedroom, 3 1/2 bath house (with a HUGE master bath), a two-car garage, a fully-equipped gourmet kitchen, and a basement.
Decorate and furnish the house beautifully and comfortably, utilizing stuff we already own, secondhand finds, and DIY projects to save money.
Do some landscaping on the outside of the house.
Install a playground, and buy a trampoline (or two).
Build a greenhouse and a tool shed, and buy plants and gardening materials to make my own vegetable and herb garden.
Put the rest of the money into a savings account to be used for emergencies only.

And then we would continue to build up our savings account.

Haha I'm quite boring. Wouldn't alter my life too much. I'd invest it as much as I could for good returns (ISA's etc) and live off the interest. Maybe I'd spend an initial few thousand on a few new gadgets, improving/upgrading home utilities and presents for those who are close to me.

I know I haven't mentioned what I was going to do with my money I don't think.

• I know that I would spend it on getting married.
  • Get my own nice looking house.
  • Get a motobike (and license).
  • My own server and ultra fast connection to host Aspies Central.
  • Get the products I've been longing for.

I would buy a detached house with enough space to build a decent sized O gauge model railway, give some money to a handful of close relatives to improve and upgrade their houses, give some money to my young niece and nephew to help them (hopefully) go to a decent university, give some to childrens, homeless and environmental charities and save the rest for emergencies.

An update:

If I have one million quids, it's just kinda normal for me. The pound depreciated in value. It used to be three million Singapore dollars, now, it's 1.97 million Singapore dollars. Shows how much the world changed in these five years, following the great Global Financial Crisis.

Currently, there are three groups of people in my society: the Billionaires, the Millionaires, and the others. I am the 'others'. Of course, the others vary, from those who can't feed themselves to those who are struggling from day to day by the monthly check...

But if I have a million pounds, or, let's say, three million Singapore dollars, I know I am already happy, and I will be even happier with the new money I have. I am not yet a nouveau riche, but definitely, I can do more with this money. Who knows, I can even buy any house I like in Singapore. I will not do that.

Since I am already so rich if I have this amount of money, I might as well complete my degree first, before I exclaim: 'freedom!'

I can put my money in 3 funds: Fund A, Fund B and Fund C. Fund A is a common fund for me and my parents, since for Asians, family is so important. Plus, I really do want to play games in Momma's basement all day long :p Fund B is a fund for just me, a fixed money transfer, reviewed every year. Fund C is 10% of Fund B.

But calm my nerves down: I am very happy - I can buy whatever I want, finally! Not everything, but well, almost everything I have always wanted to buy. I will buy things by the batches of US$400 (to avoid paying GST): welovefine and college T-shirts, basketball shorts and jerseys from a certain website I like. I will also buy tons of sneakers and Dickies shorts. I will resolve to play basketball every day in my life for the first week after I get so much money, and then, maybe as I find my rhythm, I will explore flexible working arrangements where I write as a freelance writer 5 days every week, leaving Sunday for church (that's why, Fund C for tithes) and perhaps, Monday, just to play basketball and dance. Also, I can finally find the daily going to jog every day. Woohoo.

Overall, even after I have a million quids, I will complete my degree, I will work, but more importantly, I might have more time and money to do a little more on what I like to do. But I will not over-spend, I will control my spending. After all, I only have one million quids, 24 hours a day, and 60 or so years to go.

I'd drop a downstroked 383 stroker with a munchie 220 5 speed transmission and dual intake Edelbroke speed-demon intake into my Firebird.

And then, in all honesty, I'd probably buy a plane ticket to meet all of the regular members of AC.

a house somewhere other than stockton, hopefully somewhere colder, with either good public transportation and museums, or a rural area with a wooded area i can walk through and maybe read under a tree. A spacious area to work on my interests. New laptop, art supplies, and lots of books and movies.

Gonna buy me a condo, gonna buy me a Cuisinart. Get the wall-to-wall carpeting, get a wallet full of credit cards.

Well, OK, just the first one to be honest. (Lawn: DO NOT WANT.) The rest becomes Flinty's Nice Vacation Fund.

The Barenaked Ladies actually did a song on that idea:

Video courtesy of YouTube and user artvandelaythethird; all rights remain reserved.

More seriously, a new car for Mom and a chance to pay off a mortgage or two would be good uses for that money.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pella: Public transportation?? How about a nice car with a personal driver?

I'd get out of debt, buy a nicer car, make sure my mother and my best friends parents never have to go to a nursing home or have any worries about bills, probably buy them nice cars too. Gifts for friends and family, a very large reef tank and someone's services to take care of it.

New Threads

Top Bottom