• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

If you had a million dollars/pounds?

Pella: Public transportation?? How about a nice car with a personal driver?

I'd get out of debt, buy a nicer car, make sure my mother and my best friends parents never have to go to a nursing home or have any worries about bills, probably buy them nice cars too. Gifts for friends and family, a very large reef tank and someone's services to take care of it.

Could I afford that for life though? don't work and right now the income coming in, is social security and I don't think they would keep paying me if I had a million dollars. I think i would need a maid too, I can't keep up with the house.

@Pella: a maid would be a great idea for you. With your pain, PTSD & stress levels, all that housework shouldn't also get heaped onto you. Maid services are relatively inexpensive too: some can be arranged to come in only once/wk to take care of all laundry, bed sheet changes & heavier housework. Here we have a programme for people with disabilities where a maid can come in 2x/wk & take care of the house. There's even a programme where they'll take you to get groceries or get them themselves, bring them in & put them away & prepare meals! This is costly to tax payers but infinitely less so than keeping someone in residential care & a lot more humane. My aunt would never have been able to remain in her apartment alone without such care.

A million $ wouldn't allow me to do what I really want to. Actually, neither would a million pounds. Where many people go broke quickly with a big windfall is that they forget that the large home will require a small fortune to maintain & pay the taxes & utilities on. The cars also must be insured & these are regular monthly expenses you can count on. If you spend your principal instead of living off the interest, it is akin to cutting off parts of & eating the goose that is laying golden eggs! A million may pay your debts, let you get a decent car, go on a trip or 2, update your furniture & tech toys but that's about it.

I'd want to completely retire & live a spa/resort lifestyle. They make condos like this on private beaches where your entire lifestyle is like being on vacation. Permanently! I've looked at some of these places & right now we couldn't afford it. They come with all the full services you'd expect at a 5 star resort. 24 hr maid service, your choice of dining experiences (or have room service), indoor & outdoor spa facilities like pools & jacuzzi/ hot tubs (you even have the option of having one in your unit!) With really deep pockets, you can invest in a private cabana/house on the grounds. People who do this are typically looking to live quietly & simply & to be left alone. You never have to: mow or shovel (unless you WANT to) cook or clean, go schlepping for anything, be stressed out by life...you even have access to plastic surgery on-site if that's your 'thing'. If you decide to travel for a few months, you can rent your place out & just GO. The rent will cover your fees & your trip to wherever.

I want to be able to sleep or rest when I'm tired & wake up when I'm refreshed, never have to hear an alarm or be on some schedule, never have to factor in energy & time for mundane tasks that only need to be re-done a few days later, lounge on the beach or swim without having to hop a plane & go though rigmarole to do it & have enough to help my kids out (BUT not hand them everything). I never want to HAVE to go to a grocery store. I only want to cook when I feel like it (RARE!). I like the idea of maid service when I want it & not having someone wandering around my place singing or whistling while they sweep: you call, they show up, do the job & skedaddle. Many wealthy people who are NOT of retirement age choose to live this way. There are themed places where the lifestyle revolves around hiking, rock climbing & cycling etc. or you can opt out of any activity you don't feel like doing. If the magic money fairy (or Lady Luck) drops 50-60 million on us, that's what we'd do.

Mind you...if we DID win a million $, I wouldn't say NO. I wouldn't move to a bigger house: we hope to later down-size. I would pay what's left on the mortgage, give both my kids a down-payment on a suitable place of their own, I'd move my parents into a 2 bedroom/2 bath condo of their own not far BUT not here & invest the rest carefully. I know we'd travel more too. My husband's work is his obsession & he built it from scratch so I doubt he'd stop working even if he could afford to. Even with 50 million, I could see him opening a clinic on the resort.

Last edited:
I am sure that I would think of something. A million dollars is actually quite a lot, although I don't see why I'd have to drastically change my lifestyle. That would probably increase the longevity of the money, too. :)

If I had a million I'd try to live of savings interest mostly and eventually spend some cash on funding projects I like on kickstarter, indiegogo and similar sites.

It surely would make my life a bit easier when not being stressed about the end of the month and being back to square 1 again. I might even pick up some courses and actually get some kind of online degree in something, even if I probably would be set for life (since I'm quite sure annual interest is enough for living), and not have to work.

Guess I have to play in the lottery and make it happen.

Well I would take the million pounds sterling, it is worth quite a lot more then a million usd. I might actually be able to stop working 60 hours a week and find something to do that might make me feel more positive about life at that point.

I'd just buy a house + essential needs like water,gas,electricity, High and PC with Internet. Then i probably would invest in a business and live of off that and try to make an additional 3 Million Pounds and then just have a jobless life and never work again.

I wouldn't really know, but I'd advise to take the £1 million and then exchange it into $ if needed - much better value!

I'd buy my own place at least - somewhere quiet but easy to get into town, with plenty of space and somewhere to keep my car from being damaged or vandalised. And I could *occasionally* have people over if needed - it's nice to have the option! I'd probably spend the rest on furnishing the rest of the house nicely, and then travelling to interesting places if I had any left over. And would give a good amount to my favourite rabbit rescue charity somewhere in there too, so many of them get neglected and the shelters are so over-filled and under-funded already.

Would definitely need my own place at least, living in someone else's house right now is the main source of all my stress!

Buy a house and pay in full upfront. I would still pursue a career, that way I could live off the interest and have new money coming in.

Buy a house and a car. Do the math and see how much I have to leave for surviving until passing away and use the rest if possible to study and develop.

I would donate some to charity, save other money for insurance and I don't know what to do with the rest of all that money. :p

I would buy my own spacious art studio and all the necessities...makes me smile just thinking about it. And a dog. (White lab)

Get out of debt, then save, save, save. Although I would be more free to pursue whatever self-employed hobby I'd like!

"I'm just stepping out for a bit of a walk." --- and he wasn't heard of again for a decade.
I believe his precise words were, "I am just going outside and may be some time"...which is a much more quintessentially English thing to say. :D

(I'm referring to Lawrence Oates...it could be you're talking about something completely different, heh.)

First off, I'll take the one million pounds so I can convert it to dollars and have half again as much. :D

I'd pay off all my debts and the debts of my closest friends. I'd wave goodbye to those friends, line an RV with cat condos, put the cats in the condos, hire a driver and move the whole load of us up to Washington. I'd buy a nice little house in the rain shadow with a yard big enough for a huge cat enclosure. I'd hire someone to built the coziest and most cat proof enclosure possible. I'd buy a new economical car and a new computer. I'd find a job working on a newspaper or in a library for minimum wage. I'd save the rest of the money for emergencies and to use for investing in real estate. Then, I'd create a trust fund for whichever cats were still alive when I passed away, and give my estate to reputable no-kill cat shelters.

New Threads

Top Bottom