• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I use rules to understand the world. What framework do you use?

That is the one rule that I have found always works. It is absolute gold.

I often tell myself, "Okay, just be kind. Remember to be kind" when I'm going into a social situation.

It's a solid one. Dad was & is wise. He appreciates reason, logic, and kindness, and insisted that I & the Sibling Unit both learn that as well.

One difference that I see with NTs & neurds (not all) is the priority placed on objectivity.
NTs are likely to value feelings (like acceptance) over objectivity.
Neurds still feel pain (like rejection), but value objectivity even more.
Maintaining both feelings AND objectivity would be the ideal, but sometimes they seem mutually exclusive.

Last edited:
One thing I'd add is not just what you say or do that's important in the NT world. Many of us are capable. But it's also about the TIMING that is very important and the HOW. If you don't say or do the right thing at the right time, it could potentially be glossed over or confuse others. And two people can say the same exact thing, but HOW you say it (i.e. volume, tone, body language, facial expression) makes the difference in how it is received.

So many factors to worry about for such little return.

Last edited:
I may be misunderstanding this post and I may be confusing the intended definition of the term "rules". For me, understanding the world is through the laws of physics. The laws of physics is the construct of the entire universe. It is not subject to anyone's opinion or desires. It is an absolute.

People disobey laws all the time. Traffic laws, tax laws, property laws, noise ordinances, safety laws, environmental laws, laws against violence, murder, rape, etc. Laws are rules of society.
I do not believe society generated "laws" are valid in understanding the world, because they are created by someone's opinion to ensure a desired behavior. Understanding the world has little to do with opinion or desired behavior. Also, no one ever "disobeys" the laws of physics.

Sorry if I've missed the point... It happens some times.o_O

New Threads

Top Bottom