• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I need help with Keto dieting

Yeshuasdaughter

You know, that one lady we met that one time.
V.I.P Member
My doctor told me that to prevent Diabetes, I need to go totally keto. And that means no carbohydrates, as much as possible. So I'm supposed to live without grains, starchy vegetables, nearly all fruits, and no sugars or sugar alcohols either. No nuts/ seeds. No beans- but don't tell the doc- I cheat with beans, and often add them to foods where I'd normally use a starchy food as a filler or thickener.

Dude, I got lectured for a dang tortilla, and a half of an ice cream bar. She doesn't even want me eating dairy products (but I cheat with dairy like every single day). So this kinda sucks.

Right now, I'm doing "Dirty Keto", which means I'm eating things like sugar free pudding, diet sodas, premade cauliflower crusts, artificial sweeteners, etc. And I'm eating lots of dairy products and sugar free yogurt and stuff. But I want to go straight Paleo/Keto someday. Maybe even being a little crazy and mixing in raw carnivore for some meals. I like sashimi, and rare beef, so it could work.

I'm supposed to only live off of meat and veggies. I'm getting a little tired of this diet. Especially around breakfast time, when all I want, seriously, is a bowl of cornflakes or oatmeal. And I am also supposed to eat 100 g of protein per day, to heal from cancer. Plus... omg all my meals are supposed to be high fat (yuck!!!!)

Although I can make tasty food, pretty much everything I've eaten for the past month has been meaty and mushy. Raw tomatoes have been an ambrosia to me.

I need some new recipes, because I'm getting burnt out from so much meat and no starches. Plus the heartburn, omg. It's getting gross, honestly.

Does anyone have tips, for keto/paleo diets?

Are winter squashes safe? I'd like to incorporate that into my diet.

So if you are a seasoned pro, let me know what to do.

Last edited:
Can you do protein powder with your yogurt cheat in a shake to break up the monotony of keto? Like a smoothie of yogurt? I do protein yogurt a lot as a sweet treat. It has no sugar but it tastes like dessert. I also take nonfat plain yogurt and mix in Ranch Dressing, you can buy the powder, mix it into plain yogurt, and put on vegetables as a sauce, or mix into a bag of angel coleslaw. My friend has diabetes, so l have to cook within boundaries.

My store sells Sriracha ranch dressing, and l have seen avocado ranch. I like to use stevia, in place of sugar. Good luck.

Last edited:
My doctor told me that to prevent Diabetes, I need to go totally keto. And that means no carbohydrates, as much as possible. So I'm supposed to live without grains, starchy vegetables, nearly all fruits, and no sugars or sugar alcohols either. No nuts/ seeds. No beans-....
I never knew this was an actual diet, that's how I've eaten most of my life. People always give me contrary diet advice but I grew up with a country family and that's where my tastes lie.

Real butter from a moo cow, not that margerine rubbish.
Full cream milk, although I'd prefer fresh from the cow.
Not a big fan of fish but I'll eat almost any land based animal.
Vegetables are over rated too, you do need some but nowhere near as much as everyone keeps saying all the time.
Raw sugar instead of white but I absolutely never use artificial sweeteners.

I'm lucky to have an icecream once a decade.

My doctor told me that to prevent Diabetes, I need to go totally keto. And that means no carbohydrates, as much as possible. So I'm supposed to live without grains, starchy vegetables, nearly all fruits, and no sugars or sugar alcohols either. No nuts/ seeds. No beans- but don't tell the doc- I cheat with beans, and often add them to foods where I'd normally use a starchy food as a filler or thickener.

Dude, I got lectured for a dang tortilla, and a half of an ice cream bar. She doesn't even want me eating dairy products (but I cheat with dairy like every single day). So this kinda sucks.

Right now, I'm doing "Dirty Keto", which means I'm eating things like sugar free pudding, diet sodas, premade cauliflower crusts, artificial sweeteners, etc. And I'm eating lots of dairy products and sugar free yogurt and stuff. But I want to go straight Paleo/Keto someday. Maybe even being a little crazy and mixing in raw carnivore for some meals. I like sashimi, and rare beef, so it could work.

I'm supposed to only live off of meat and veggies. I'm getting a little tired of this diet. Especially around breakfast time, when all I want, seriously, is a bowl of cornflakes or oatmeal. And I am also supposed to eat 100 g of protein per day, to heal from cancer. Plus... omg all my meals are supposed to be high fat (yuck!!!!)

Although I can make tasty food, pretty much everything I've eaten for the past month has been meaty and mushy. Raw tomatoes have been an ambrosia to me.

I need some new recipes, because I'm getting burnt out from so much meat and no starches. Plus the heartburn, omg. It's getting gross, honestly.

Mmm, you can find Keto recipes in YouTube, Google and also buy some book about it.

But let me share something with you. The super strict Keto diet is 0% carbo to force your body to burn fat and also prevent any sugar spike in blood. But that is too extreme and not that healthy.

Vegetables almost have no carbs. You would need many tomatoes to get a sugar spike in blood, but just a small piece of chocolate or bread. Some fruits, like mango also have quite a lot of sugar. Others like avocado wont give you any sugar spike.

So a not so strict Keto diet includes low carb vegetables and fruits, to get the vitamins, minerals and fiber your body needs.

Even high carbo food may be more or less dangerous depending if the carbo is absorbed fast (like bread, chocolate and white rice) or slow (like potatoes).

If you have risk of diabetes its ok to limit all high carbo food, but vegetales like lettuce are almost water (you would need to eat 1 kg of lettuce to ecual the 150 calories of an egg, with one kilogram of bread you get about 2,500 calories! Thats a sugar spike that you must avoid).

I have a very good book but its in Spanish:

IMG_20221024_222828.jpg

Learning the basics wont be that difficult and may serve you well in the long run.

I hate to complicate things here,...but your doctor is partially correct with the suggestion of a more keto diet for managing Type 2 diabetes/pre diabetes/metabolic syndrome.

More to the point of all of this when it comes to Type 2 diabetes management,...is insulin management,...more specifically, reversing the insulin resistance component. Insulin resistance - Wikipedia

There are ways to do this,...keto is one,...paleo is one,...and intermittent fasting is one,...or some hybrid of them. The goals are (1) dampening/flattening down the insulin peaks and troughs, and (2) increasing your body's ability to tolerate longer and longer periods without food and low blood sugar,...this ultimately drops your baseline insulin levels, baseline blood sugars, and A1C on your laboratory blood levels. THIS is what your doctor wants,...NOT keto, per se.

The hardest part for you right now,...is the education part. There are web sites and phone apps for these sorts of things that are helpful. Now,...here's a little tip,...since I noticed that you had mentioned "diet" and "low fat" and "low sugar". *Caution*: These are often predatory marketing/labeling strategies and are some of worst foods for a diabetic or anyone trying to loose weight. Why? They often contain artificial sweeteners,...and artificial sweeteners, depending upon what it is,...can cause 10X more insulin spike and crash than plain cane sugar,...and when your insulin crashes,...you crave more food to raise it back up,...and your insulin and blood sugar "Yo-yo" up and down throughout the day making you gain weight and make your insulin management worse.

You have to be a careful and educated label reader. Stevia, I believe, is the only natural sweetener that you can use that will not effect your insulin. All the others,...do your reading and educate yourself, but it's my understanding they are all far and away worse than sugar in this regard.

My problem too, is that I mainly cook homestyle meals, from scratch. I do not enjoy premade frozen or convenience meals very often. I don't know how to cook or eat without the simple, wonderful whole grains that I love.

And.... I'm allergic to stevia.

My problem too, is that I mainly cook homestyle meals, from scratch. I do not enjoy premade frozen or convenience meals very often. I don't know how to cook or eat without the simple, wonderful whole grains that I love.

And.... I'm allergic to stevia.
If you are allergic to stevia,...you are better off using small amounts of plain cane sugar as compared to the artificial sweeteners if you want to better control your insulin. Healthy oils,...your polyunsaturated types like olive oils are good for dampening down your insulin,...also good for dipping your whole grain breads. Coconut oil and MCT oils are also good to use as part of your keto diet. Meal prepping is a good habit to get into,...take one or two days a week and cook up a batch of chicken breasts, pork chops, whatever you have and then put them in containers for the week. Steamed veggies are good for stored meals, as well.

Keep it simple. A meat with something green next to it. If you want your bread,...limit it and use olive or avacado oil to dip it in. It doesn't have to be difficult. Meal prepping is a good practice because you have ready-to-eat meals and so less tendency to cheat.

New Threads

Top Bottom