• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

...Do you like to steal - or " liberate " things?:eek: You seem to be supporting not only the Dec. 23 theft, but the Dec 30 one as well - despite what he did to me, taking ALL my cards/stuff/money, all my identity:cryingcat:. I would have thought/hoped that we in the shelter, as fellow socially oppressed/downtrodden, would have some solidarity with/support for each other!:cry:

@SteveNomad

Are you seriously saying that you don't expect desperate people to take desperate measures?

Your statement that I've bolded has to be the most naïve thing I've ever read on this forum.

You are living rough. There is no solidarity amongst homeless people. It's an 'every man for himself' situation and as you've been in this homeless/transient lifestyle for a long time, surely you must know that already?

If not, it's time for you to 'get real'.

ps - no one is supporting theft. I believe there's a high level of frustration on this thread and on your other threads as you've failed to follow a lot of good advice. I hope that moving forward you take on board some of the advice suggested in order to safeguard yourself.

Last edited:
I don’t support the theft of your items at all, but I think it would be prudent to keep your valuables as close to you as possible. Desperate people take desperate measures and you can bet your shelter has a lot of desperate people. This is not the time to have blind faith in the goodness of random people that happen upon your belongings. I’m very sorry for what has happened to you, but I think your naïveté is one of your biggest enemies at the moment.

...Do you like to steal - or " liberate " things?:eek: You seem to be supporting not only the Dec. 23 theft, but the Dec 30 one as well - despite what he did to me, taking ALL my cards/stuff/money, all my identity:cryingcat:. I would have thought/hoped that we in the shelter, as fellow socially oppressed/downtrodden, would have some solidarity with/support for each other!:cry:

Nobody's supporting any theft here, believe me. Keep your belongings "on a leash" as I like to put it - that is, anything of value to you (smartphone, cash, cards, etc.) absolutely needs to be kept away from everyone else PERIOD and on you at all times. Do not leave anything unattended assuming it won't be touched, and do not assume any "solidarity" exists in your current situation because the chances are good that there is little of that going on.

I need to be dead honest with you here also - and trust me, this isn't personal at all - but if people are picking up on the fact that you're handicapped or lacking in some way, you're likely going to be taken advantage of or pushed around until you do something about it. Yes, I've been there before and there are lots of stories from others here as well to learn from, so you are definitely not alone regarding that. I'm sorry that this happened to you, but for your own good you should seriously consider taking some of the advice others are giving you here.

The point at where you are right now, you really need to focus solely on yourself and your needs first and to get in a safer situation as soon as you possibly can.

Last edited:
...I've just skimmed the above posts right now, but I see the points made.
As of right now I have another problem - in Dec. 30, I woke up in the shelter I was in to find that some me-we had, while I was asleep, taken my sports jacket that I wear around all day and had hung on a chair to dry while I was asleep) and taken the jacket and gone to the bathroom with it and taken the wallets and the money in them out and taken EVERYTHING ELSE and threw it down/away:cry: - including my ID cards and bank/ATM cards and umpteen other things!:weary: EVERYTHING from there is gone!:disappointed:Including the jacket itself, although I did manage to score a similar too-small substitute which isn't really enough for the weather here now:fearful:).
I have lost all my money and ALL MY ID CARDS. BANK CARDS, etcetera:cryingcat:. As far as going to Arizona or ANYWHERE goeseth. I am aware that you're no longer allowed to even ride Greyhound minus a photo ID!
I have no money. I have been able - as yet - to continue to stay at the shelter, which charges money, out of pity/guilt/whining. They provide two meals a day. I have snuck/gotten pity from-overlooked by the bus;trolley drivers as yet.
I am writing this write now sitting in a handicapped cart (I actually am pretty handicapped, though I'll save details for later) on the 3d floor floor of the downtown Target, I did have to go there to get this phone back into working order. it was all d's up this morning. Not far from DVDs, nearer to the phones (natch). Later.

People are ruthless and desperate. Keep everything on your person at all time. It doesn't matter how wet your stuff is, if you're going to stay in Portland, then wet is the new normal. Do not let go of a bag or coat or anything for one second... especially in a shelter where people who have nothing are ready to snatch anything.

...Arizona is certainly a possj unity. I have just been looking for a place where I get a room, anyway, a private room, and take the books and stuff I have still in storage in Santa Cruz, and, briefly, some family items inherited from my late brother, and stay there and rest and read the books/compute;stuff and not go out much and try to regain my health:(. I really am in not good shape - and handicapped:sleepy:.

Keep on paying the storage in Santa Cruz! They will straight up sell all your stuff the day after you miss a payment.

The statistics are for Portland, homeless woman can expect to be assaulted in 72 hours,and homeless males will be robbed about the same amount of time. These are hard cold stats that can't be ignored. You need to get like a money belt or small bag that you have on the inside of your clothes.

And keep your wallet in your FRONT pants pocket at all times, so people can't pickpocket you. Whereas a pickpocket knows people won't notice them pulling something out of their back pocket, You'll know if someone's reaching in your front pocket lol!

The statistics are for Portland, homeless woman can expect to be assaulted in 72 hours,and homeless males will be robbed about the same amount of time. These are hard cold stats that can't be ignored. You need to get like a money belt or small bag that you have on the inside of your clothes.

This is true! I used to panhandle in downtown and when I was 19 a man tried to kidnap me in a public spot with pedestrians walking right by and looking. He was very clear vocally that he was a trafficker. No one cares about a homeless girl, they assume she's a drug addict and the guy doing the stuff is her boyfriend. And again when I was 23, two college age men pushed me into a doorway and tried to get me to do stuff, I don't know how I got away from both, all I can say is it's just the "Hand of God" that freed me both times!

This is true! I used to panhandle in downtown and when I was 19 a man tried to kidnap me in a public spot with pedestrians walking right by and looking. He was very clear vocally that he was a trafficker. No one cares about a homeless girl, they assume she's a drug addict and the guy doing the stuff is her boyfriend. And again when I was 23, two college age men pushed me into a doorway and tried to get me to do stuff, I don't know how I got away from both, all I can say is it's just the "Hand of God" that freed me both times!

Omg, that is frightening. I know someone who almost was kidnapped in Texas because she made a poor choice. The guy hit his brakes hard, she lurched forward but didn't pass out, she stumbled out of car and sat on curb. He then possibly was going to hit her with open door. She was able to see a rolled rug in the back and a second car drove up who was friends with the guy she was with. She is very attractive 42 year-old but l was wondering if it was for organ harvesting or sex ring. She got away, l called 911 when she finally got home.

So glad you are okay. Just keeping telling your story, you may save some female from the same fate.

Last edited:
...At this point, the medical person involved has progressed from saying that my kidneys are so non-respon:coldsweat:dent that I will need to start getting dialysis soon, which medical have been saying for a while, to saying that I will have to start getting dialysis or die. I don't object to getting dialysis and living, but I don't want to be stuck here in Portland f or it. If I am going to possibly die, I want to see my hometown area, in New York State, where I haven't been for over 20 years. And visit my mother, father, and brother's gravesite, which I haven't been able to visit since it was only my mother's grave:(. And there's a thought on my part that Social Services in my hometown area might be a little fonder of and more in c lined to help " a local boy come home " - especially with possible death angle, and the medical people as well. Optimistic, huh:coldsweat:? That inheritance-managing lawyer is there, too. Maybe he could be convinced to release enough money to me to get a decent place (plus whatever other in g licence he may have) and move in/furnish it/get my stuff in storage brought there. As things now stand I've been in the hospital all the time since Friday last week, not only in the same room all the time but essentially in the same bed all the time, with an alarm going off if I get out of bed or even shift my weight much. Bland renal food:grimacing:.

Whatever your wishes, I don't see you as being in any shape to travel to New York State. If they say it's dialysis or die, you'd do well to accept the dialysis. Otherwise you could end up as a corpse on a Greyhound bus.

...I could get some dialysis here, then, fortified, take the bus and resume it when there. It would be swifter to start getting a new ID maybe, in NYS, where I was born, rather than wait forever - in another shelter where I have to walk around all day?

This is tough. Is there any relative in New York that you can get in touch with? Can you talk to attny and say it's life or death and can the office get airline ticket for you?

Check into the weather in the part of New York you would be traveling to. If you've been on the West Coast for years, you may have forgotten that an eastern winter requires very serious winter clothing, including boots, hats, gloves, parka, etc. It might make more sense to wait until spring.

...Point about weather taken, but as has been pointed out it's potentionally worse in Portland.
As I have said, even assuming the supposed make-up money comes:
(1) I'd likely have a hard time turning it into cash;depositing it.
(2) I'd probably have a large amount of it in cash, more than the cash stolen from me on the 30th.
(3) I'm uncertain how/where I could find new physical wallets to keep thing in, that fit me/I can afford/like - in this d-out town I don't really know my way around:confounded:.

And there's a thought on my part that Social Services in my hometown area might be a little fonder of and more in c lined to help " a local boy come home " - especially with possible death angle, and the medical people as well.
I wouldn’t count on it. I think your best bet is to stay where you are and focus on your health rather than traveling from place to place in search of a city that will treat you better.

Hi, I wanted to let you know that my dad says it's supposed to snow next week. So I hope you get in gear and get yourself some shoes. Like pronto. Downtown Chapel. NW 6th and Burnside. Be in line there at about 730 or 8. The doors open at 9 but you get a number before then. They'll give you a coat, shoes, clothes, and breakfast.

601 w burnside st

...Point about weather taken, but as has been pointed out it's potentionally worse in Portland.
As I have said, even assuming the supposed make-up money comes:
(1) I'd likely have a hard time turning it into cash;depositing it.
(2) I'd probably have a large amount of it in cash, more than the cash stolen from me on the 30th.
(3) I'm uncertain how/where I could find new physical wallets to keep thing in, that fit me/I can afford/like - in this d-out town I don't really know my way around:confounded:.

The sports stores have little bags that you can put phone and money and credit cards in and they clip around your waist. There are also arm bands. Another option is a passport holder you wear around your neck. Another option is in your socks. I have put money in my shoe before. Sprigs online makes wrist holders which l like and they last. Plus l can put them on my ankle or my arm. Maybe you can order or call their 800 number. A shoelace threaded thru a small bag and you can wear this around your neck under a shirt. Just carry bare min in pocket.

New Threads

Top Bottom