• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I Hate Summer

Blistering heat has given way to the pleasant 70s and 80s. But there's usually an Indian Summer in the equation.

I rather like this time of year. Especially as it's a little darker early in the morning. Better sleep cycle for moi. :)

Blistering heat has given way to the pleasant 70s and 80s. But there's usually an Indian Summer in the equation.

I rather like this time of year. Especially as it's a little darker early in the morning. Better sleep cycle for moi. :)
I just got back from the Bay Area, and I spent some time in San Francisco, where the temperature was a balmy upper-60s. I almost didn't come back home!

I just got back from the Bay Area, and I spent some time in San Francisco, where the temperature was a balmy upper-60s. I almost didn't come back home!

Worked in the financial district for ten years- right across the street from the Bank of America building. I liked it best on rare occasions when it would be in the low 80s where all the high-rises shadowed direct sunlight.

But then I'd go home to the Diablo Valley where the highs in the summer well exceeded 100. But it's a dry heat! ;)

I hate summer. It's too high energy for me. Can't wait for next month to feel settled again. It has also been a nightmare with hay fever. Got a meet-up to look forward to this weekend. I need to get away to take my mind of work and the internet. Love train journeys! :D

Summer for me, I only like the fact that I can swim outdoors and the new place I have I'll need to find out. Since "Winter Is Coming" tomorrow in the Southern Hemisphere.

I have some sensory disorder that effects me in the Summer like bright sunlight and my dislike in wearing shorts. I still insist in wearing long pants in Summer. At least I have sunglasses to help me cope with the sunlight.

I appreciate longer daylight in Summer months.

Not a perfect world thou.

Not a huge fan of the summer either. I dislike sweating, not a huge fan of the outdoors, swimming, etc. I much prefer fall. I used to like winter more, but I like it a lot less now that I'm an adult & have to pay the heating bill, try to commute to work when it snows, deal with my kids when they have snowdays, etc. That being said, I deal with summer OK because I have to (my kids love summer, love swimming).

As far as sleeping is concerned, my bedroom has heavy plastic blinds with fabric covering one side, so it stays suitably dark in the mornings. Plus my bedroom window does not get the sun till the afternoon anyway. That doesn't prevent me from having sleeping issues at night (I set my alarm for 7:30 today, but nonetheless was up at 5 & couldn't go back to sleep...), but it does help...

Damon.

As a consequence of preferring cool weather to the baking sun, how many Aspergers have a corresponding love of shade and trees?

Whenever I read distressing news like this, it's always comforting to find some likemindedness in the comments:
Great tree massacre: Councils have cut down 110,000 trees in a desperate bid to save money
Sheffield council’s £2billion tree-felling campaign triggered furious protests
Thousands of trees in the city were assessed as dying, diseased or dangerous
An investigation found the city felled 10% of its tree population in three years
By Arthur Martin for the Daily Mail
PUBLISHED: 23:54, 3 June 2018 | UPDATED: 08:06, 4 June 2018
Read more: Great tree massacre: Councils have cut down 110,000 trees in a desperate bid to save money | Daily Mail Online

womaninterrupted, Luton, United Kingdom

If they are cutting down trees they need to plant 10 for each one felled. Its a crazy solution when trees absorb pollution reducing its impact, give habitat to wildlife and enhance the environment for humans. We need far more trees not less!

qm, Hove, United Kingdom
Stupid people! Do they have no idea where the oxygen they breath comes from?

Bravo Yankee Zulu, Scotland, United Kingdom
This is totally and utterly unacceptable. Where are the saving the planet/green/eco-friendly policies so trendy in this country now. How have they been allowed to get away with this? Where is the crusading One Show? Where is the Queen with her love of trees and the Commonwealth Canopy initiative? The benefits of trees are well documented, as are the disbenefits of no trees. Perhaps the leaders of Sheffield Council et al should go and live in Dubai if they hate trees so much. See how they like that.

Max, Caterham
If Sheffield council are spending £2,000,000,000 to cut down 17,500 trees, that works out at £114,857 per tree!

Jimv, Nottingham, United Kingdom
I think the true numbers of trees felled by councils is far greater than mentioned. When our local by-pass was built some 25yrs ago the council planted thousands of trees and shrubs to screen noise and absorb pollution. Of course the trees and shrubs grew and needed some maintenance but the council say they have no money so they have now cut down all the planting so I assume noise and pollution no longer matter. Logic please.

It's been over 100 degrees here lately and is only going to get worse. It won't really start to get cool again until late fall. I hate it here!

canicular:
of or relating to the period between early July and early September when hot weather occurs in the northern hemisphere

"The Latin word canicula, meaning "small dog," is the diminutive form of canis, source of the English word canine. Canicula was also the name for Sirius, the star that represents the hound of the hunter Orion in the constellation named for that Roman mythological figure. Because the first visible rising of Sirius occurs during the summer, the hot sultry days that occur from early July to early September came to be called dies caniculares, or as we know them in English, "the dog days.""

from Merriam-Webster's Word of the Day

My own circadian rhythm prefers the shorter, colder days. I feel more alive and more hopeful. Why is this? Most folks feel glum when summer is over whereas I breathe a sigh of relief.
As a child, I had an allergy to grass clippings. Sniffles started in May and lasted to September in Pennsylvania. I did not know then what caused my sniffles but that from the end of March [cold weather diminishing] to early May I could be more active and breath better outdoors. Same was true from late September to early December [cold weather increasing].

It's been over 100 degrees here lately and is only going to get worse. It won't really start to get cool again until late fall. I hate it here!
Where are you located? I live in Southeastern PA and we are in the middle of a brutal heat wave. I have not left my house in several days as I cannot tolerate heat like I used to.:(

The very hot aspects are bad for me as well. More now then when younger. But on not too hot days (below 80F) summer is glorious! I love the lush vegetation and creatures.

Fall is my favorite time of year. It is cooler, so I do not have to spend my afternoons hiding in the house. It is easier to do any kind of activity. And best of all, it is football season!!
Am nearing my 4th year living in Alabama. While July through September are brutal here and most natives spend days indoors only venturing out at dawn and dusk, I do not long for the long cold winters of Pennsylvania when my bones ached and my heating bills went through the roof. I love being outside in shirtsleeves February through May and again September through December [especially watching football at the stadium instead of by the TV] That more than makes up for the not so long hot summers here.

New Threads

Top Bottom