• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I am starting to dislike rock music

Markness

Young God
V.I.P Member
I used to think I would be an eternal fan of rock music but lately my passion for it has been uncertain. A lot of it has to do with people who dislike me listening to the same bands I enjoy. I also feel put out by how pursuing my own tastes in regards to rock music has not translated to social success and instead more social isolation as well as bullying.

Well, the fact that you mentally glue the concepts of "liking specific music" and "social success" together is part of the problem, I can guarantee you that. Nobody who gets into something like this just to please others will ever end up really sticking with it all that long, and even if they do, they likely aint gonna be too satisfied, or even enjoying it all that much. I've seen people do this sort of thing 5 bazillion times, and it never works out. Either they end up in a position where they're just going through the motions to please others (which will lead to burnout and depression), or they end up hanging around a bunch of shallow airheads whose only interest in that person is whether they like X thing or not.

Just listen to what YOU like. Because you feel like listening to it, not because you think it'll be some sort of bloody social magnet (which aint how it works in any case). There's no reason to care about what others like, at least not to the extreme extent that you currently do. And if someone's willingness to be social with you is entirely dependent on "well you like this song here" then they aint someone who is worth hanging out with in the first place. I mean, how freaking shallow would that be, for someone to do that? Do you want a connection with someone to be THAT flimsy?

Also at this point I'm STILL entirely baffled on who this mysterious legion of people who apparently hate you are. I'm gonna take a guess and say that quite a good bit of that is entirely in your head... just call it a hunch.

And even if there's someone who just bloody despises you for who knows what reason and they happen to listen to whatever, well... who cares? They aint worth thinking about. And for all you know, they were lying about it anyway or just pretended to like it, who knows? Who cares? Just pick the bloody music you personally enjoy listening to. And then dont go near them. This also is the case for dealing with a toxic community. If that's something you're running into, well, freaking stop doing that. Seek out somewhere else with people who arent jerks. Some communities are just toxic.... you could be the most likable person in the universe and they'd still act nasty, because that's how a toxic community is, you see?

So, in conclusion: Music turned on, jerks booted OUT.

I keep telling ya, until you get this kind of stuff out of mind, you're just gonna keep floundering. That concept has not changed. And just repeating it over and over in words on the forum isnt helping. Take actual steps, instead of just going "woe is me" over and over.

I know it's harsh to hear, but until you learn that lesson, nothing is likely to change.

Ya know what I'd like to see from you? A topic that isnt one of these, but is instead more like "hey, I set this small goal for myself recently, and I got up and just freaking did it". Wouldnt that be a much better post to make? Imagine how excited everyone here would be for you.

I used to like rock when I was in my teens but not anymore. The genre of what I now listen to is hard to describe.

I went off rock and metal. Oversaturated. Then I went onto other genres.

Try Igorrr. He fuses metal with opera and breakcore. He's a bit of a musical genius

Ed

I used to think I would be an eternal fan of rock music but lately my passion for it has been uncertain. A lot of it has to do with people who dislike me listening to the same bands I enjoy. I also feel put out by how pursuing my own tastes in regards to rock music has not translated to social success and instead more social isolation as well as bullying.
This is rock but by cello orchestra they also play classical

I like 80's pop, new wave, 90's R&B, smooth jazz, salsa, and various forms of EDM. If I knew anyone who liked that music but hated me which I don't they all like that coffee house folk crap, I would not care and still listen to what I like.

I like some rather non-stream bands. The good thing is as you get older, people mature and no longer care that you don't like the same kind of music as they do. Not that this ever really bothered me - I always did my own thing anyway, it's part of who I am. Music has always been more important to me than what people think of it.

@Markness
pursuing my own tastes in regards to rock music has not translated to social success

Whatever gave you the idea that it would?

Who cares what people think pertaining to what music you like listening to . It’s there for you to enjoy .

You continue to give people power over you. So what if people you say dislike you listen to music you enjoy? So, tell me how is music supposed to translate into social success? You have some serious distortions going on if you believe there is any linkage.

Most of my friends can’t stand the kind of music I listen to and I do not care what they think at all. They will never understand what music means to me and they aren’t educated enough about it to make a judgment like that. So I don’t listen to them and you shouldn’t either.

Rock music covers such a broad spectrum, there's something for everyone.

I don't consider listening to music a social event, so I don't care what other people like. Don't see why I should let other people control my life that way.

If you ever start listening to Yanni to try to appear more sensitive, I will rightfully accuse you of selling out.

There's many songs from my wife and I's teens thru early adulthood we just can't listen to anymore. They're just vulgar.

New Threads

Top Bottom