• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I am starting to dislike rock music

Honestly, most of my friends hate the more extreme metal bands I listen to. We both know I had a hard time trying to find a local guy to see Cradle of Filth in concert with me. But musical tastes should not be a basis of friendship. Being decent people is more important than that.

There's many songs from my wife and I's teens thru early adulthood we just can't listen to anymore. They're just vulgar.
I listened to the 2 Live Crew when I was in high school. Linking to their music here would probably lead to an automatic banhammer attack.

Honestly, most of my friends hate the more extreme metal bands I listen to. We both know I had a hard time trying to find a local guy to see Cradle of Filth in concert with me. But musical tastes should not be a basis of friendship. Being decent people is more important than that.

Cradle of Filth kind of seems like the more vanilla side of things, but that just shows you what kind of a deviant I am.

There's 2 things almost everyone hates: harsh noise wall and suicidal black metal. Try playing either one for an unsuspecting passenger and they might try to kill you

Traditional rock music has never done much for me... Most of my musical tastes veer way off the Top 40 charts

I'm more inclined to hang out a small concert with local singer-songwriters, even if I've never heard of them before, I'm not afraid of experimenting a little

I wish my detractors didn’t listen to some of the bands I am a fan of.
Gonna need a lot of birthday candles or falling stars or something
to make that wish come true.

You find it unbearable that happens, that people you term
detractors enjoy something that you also enjoy?

You don't think there's enough music to go around?
Somehow other people liking what you like steals the joy?

I wish my detractors didn’t listen to some of the bands I am a fan of.

Why. Does. It. Matter?!?

Seriously! Why! All this does is perpetuate the same bloody cycle as always. Havent we been over this a million times now? You keep choosing the same blasted option every time, the option that has always led nowhere in the past. Choose the other option already!

And who even are these "detractors"? I ask that question every time, I never get an answer. At this point I'm half convinced that you're simply seeing them out of nowhere as some sort of backwards comfort point to fall back on when feeling bad. And even if they do exist... and I cant imagine why they would... it still doesnt matter. Yet it's always something like this, every time, instead of just taking the bloody steps to improve. It's always "detractors", or bad luck, or you just talking about what you think of as a lack of your own potential. Always those little stories of awfulness... stories you write yourself... instead of true attempts at improvements. True attempts WITHOUT immediately giving up, I mean.

I've said before that I used to be extremely negative in the same way... part of why I chose this name. In fact, I was worse. A lot worse.

But even I was able to break out of that and get off the carousel of whirling awfulness.

You arent as messed up as I was. OF COURSE you can do it. But you simply wont get off that stupid thing. By your own choice. You just refuse! Nothing is holding you back but you. I dont know how to make that more clear. But I'm a stubborn little snot, and I never give up. I daresay it's an example you should think about and learn from.

Who cares. Do you hang out with them? If you do you should find some new people.

Very well said, sir.

"A thing of beauty is a joy forever." - Keats

Not only do I still love my classic rock, but I also still love those silly television shows and cartoons I watched as a kid.

Listening to the music from the 60s and 70s today, it all seems so innocent. A few groups, like the Rolling Stones, got edgy. "Brown Sugar" was definitely vulgar. But I still like most of the stuff now that I liked then. Towards the end of that era, it developed a depth never again achieved. There was a big resurgence in quality in the 80s.

The sociological 60s lasted well beyond the end of the decade, probably up through the mid 70s. IMHO, the biggest burst of musical creativity in history and we still benefit from it today.

I thought nearly all popular music went over a cliff at the end of the 80s.

I thought nearly all popular music went over a cliff at the end of the 80s.
I think it did. I remember the 90s as being a musical desert, while I remember the 80s being a forest. Then along came rap, and the musical world turned sterile.

I think it did. I remember the 90s as being a musical desert, while I remember the 80s being a forest. Then along came rap, and the musical world turned sterile.
The 90s had good music too. I agree that the 80s was the best. Music after 2005 sucks.

New Threads

Top Bottom