• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How to stop samefooding

PastelPetals

V.I.P Member
I have been samefooding majorly for the last month. I have eating almost nothing else besides sugar free pudding and ice cream. I have eaten other foods a handful of times but probably only around ten times in the last month. Even foods I used to love seem off putting to me. I have bought and attempted to eat other foods just for me to hate them and eat more pudding or ice cream. This is obviously not healthy nor sustainable so I need any help I can get.

What were the other foods?
I ate some turkey once, some bamba (puffed peanut butter snack), some cottage cheese, crackers and goat cheese, and some hummus. Those all were foods I was ok with for one day before they once again became disgusting.

Pudding and ice cream are smooth.

Is part of the deal with other foods that they aren't smooth?
What made the items you mention in Post #3 disgusting?

This is a malnutrition diet.

Every cell of your body is made of amino acids. You need protein to thrive. Meat, fish, dairy, beans and rice, nuts and seeds.

Your body needs iron, and it needs vitamin c. You need b vitamins, vitamin e, and healthy fats.

Eat a rainbow every day. Maybe instead of the mono sugar diet, think of this as your every day same diet: try and eat every color of the rainbow. Maybe even have a rainbow chart where you write down a food you ate that corresponds to each color.

It's difficult to impossible to eat a rainbow if it
makes you want to puke.
Smoothies :)

You can add any fruit you like, and you can sneak in greens too, and won't be able to taste them. You can pour in milk, almond milk, or yogurt too.

And maybe soups?

How about a grilled cheese sandwich with tomato soup? How does that sound?

Pudding and ice cream are smooth.

Is part of the deal with other foods that they aren't smooth?
What made the items you mention in Post #3 disgusting?
Yes I do think it's a texture thing even the crunchy things I mentioned (like the bamba) melt in your mouth same with the crackers I was eating with goat cheese (also mushy) they are also all cold foods as I normally just don't like warm foods. I tried some baked beans last night but I could not even eat those (hence why i didn't include them on my list)

And quite frankly I am not sure why they now disgust me I guess they are not sweet but also just not on the list of foods my brain wants.

I had a eating disorder when I was a kid and I didn't get past it until I started looking at food as fuel. It doesn't really matter what it is or what it tastes like, what I want doesn't really matter, people need fuel to function. Vitamins, minerals, protein and all that stuff. So I forced myself to eat food. It sucked but after a while I got used to it, it's amazing what we humans can get used to with a little time. We just have to get over the hard part and not give up. Yes it sucks but eating bad food or not enough food will be much worse for you in the long run.

Also, remember that when you don't eat right you feel bad. You get more easily depressed, you feel bad and then you don't eat right. It's a vicious circle that must be broken.

I agree with you, @PastelPetals, that is a very unhealthy way to eat. I hope you take a multivitamin every day to help compensate for your lack of nutrition.
I don't take a multivitamin but I do take a lot of supplements since my diet is normally lacking at least a little bit. I currently supplement calcium, magnesium, folate, and vitamin d. I also take a probiotic.

I had a eating disorder when I was a kid and I didn't get past it until I started looking at food as fuel. It doesn't really matter what it is or what it tastes like, what I want doesn't really matter, people need fuel to function. Vitamins, minerals, protein and all that stuff. So I forced myself to eat food. It sucked but after a while I got used to it, it's amazing what we humans can get used to with a little time. We just have to get over the hard part and not give up. Yes it sucks but eating bad food or not enough food will be much worse for you in the long run.

Also, remember that when you don't eat right you feel bad. You get more easily depressed, you feel bad and then you don't eat right. It's a vicious circle that must be broken.
Yes sadly this has been a struggle for me for most of my life in some way. I wish it came more naturally to me but I get too obsessive and restrictive when I focus on things like fueling my body as I often get sucked into having macro targets and the rest of the nonsense but if I don't track I end up doing whatever this is. How did you get used to it at the start??

Yes I do think it's a texture thing even the crunchy things I mentioned (like the bamba) melt in your mouth same with the crackers I was eating with goat cheese (also mushy) they are also all cold foods as I normally just don't like warm foods. I tried some baked beans last night but I could not even eat those (hence why i didn't include them on my list)

And quite frankly I am not sure why they now disgust me I guess they are not sweet but also just not on the list of foods my brain wants.

If you have a blender or food processor, you could blend all kinds of food into a smooth texture. A smoothie made a banana, some berries, yogurt and something green like a handful of fresh spinach would be smooth, sweet, cold and provide some good nutrients.

If you have a blender or food processor, you could blend all kinds of food into a smooth texture. A smoothie made a banana, some berries, yogurt and something green like a handful of fresh spinach would be smooth, sweet, cold and provide some good nutrients.
Oh that's a good idea I will try that. I have some yogurt and some spinach in my fridge no fruit but I could get some pretty easily

Yes sadly this has been a struggle for me for most of my life in some way. I wish it came more naturally to me but I get too obsessive and restrictive when I focus on things like fueling my body as I often get sucked into having macro targets and the rest of the nonsense but if I don't track I end up doing whatever this is. How did you get used to it at the start??

It's a long time ago now but it was very diffcult for a while. My problem was a little different though, I had no interest in any food and was used to not eating. One thing that helped a little to get me going was smoothies. I just put everything in a blender and drank it. It's quick and easy, less chewing, less time to think about how awful it is. I just had to quickly force it down and then it was done. And after a while I got a better appetite and it got easier to eat normal meals. Now I have normal food habbits.

It's a long time ago now but it was very diffcult for a while. My problem was a little different though, I had no interest in any food and was used to not eating. One thing that helped a little to get me going was smoothies. I just put everything in a blender and drank it. It's quick and easy, less chewing, less time to think about how awful it is. I just had to quickly force it down and then it was done. And after a while I got a better appetite and it got easier to eat normal meals. Now I have normal food habbits.
Ok I will try that. I too also hate chewing so that may be my way out.

That's what I have been doing most of this summer.

Cooking a variety of things in the crock pot and then whirring
them up in the blender. To an applesauce or baby food texture.

I have been using this stuff to make biscuits.

This way I can sneak vegetables in.

I have frozen the excess for later.

Some combinations:
mushrooms and green beans
broccoli, green beans, snap peas, apple
carrot, kale, bok choi, apple
patty pan, zucchini,peas, a little pineapple

Ok I will try that. I too also hate chewing so that may be my way out.

Yeah I remember trying to eat and not being able to swallow, the throat closed or something after chewing for a while. So it was actually very difficult to just get the food down without gagging. So smoothies made it easier, even if it tasted horrible sometimes. I counted to three and just went for it, had to get it down. And I kept doing that, forcing myself to eat and it actuallly worked, gradually it got easier and I felt better. It just sucks having to go through it.

I hope the "targets" don't get you vomiting like they do to me. Don't be too harsh on yourself.

I agree that maybe smoothies are a good idea? Soups? You can blend them. Warm food like toasts is also easier to eat. Heat relaxes muscles.

That's what I have been doing most of this summer.

Cooking a variety of things in the crock pot and then whirring
them up in the blender. To an applesauce or baby food texture.

I have been using this stuff to make biscuits.

This way I can sneak vegetables in.

I have frozen the excess for later.

Some combinations:
mushrooms and green beans
broccoli, green beans, snap peas, apple
carrot, kale, bok choi, apple
patty pan, zucchini,peas, a little pineapple
Ooh that sounds like good combos
Yeah I remember trying to eat and not being able to swallow, the throat closed or something after chewing for a while. So it was actually very difficult to just get the food down without gagging. So smoothies made it easier, even if it tasted horrible sometimes. I counted to three and just went for it, had to get it down. And I kept doing that, forcing myself to eat and it actuallly worked, gradually it got easier and I felt better. It just sucks having to go through it.
Yeah it's less of an inability (though that is the case for my brother both of us have ARFID type food stuff) and more of a disgust response. Just getting things down without gagging is the current goal so I will try that.
I hope the "targets" don't get you vomiting like they do to me. Don't be too harsh on yourself.

I agree that maybe smoothies are a good idea? Soups? You can blend them. Warm food like toasts is also easier to eat. Heat relaxes muscles.
No throwing up for me too much of a control freak to vomit even when im actually sick but I have been dealing with some sort of eating disorder since I was 10 and while I try to stay afloat I do end up in an odd place more often then I would like. Heat provokes the disgust response more than cold food but a cold soup may work.

New Threads

Top Bottom